Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RV routing AGAIN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RV routing AGAIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: RV routing AGAIN Reply with quote

Some years ago I was put in my place when I critisised TT for it's totally inadequate navigation algorithms for large vehicles like RV's or Trucks. I was told a) they were PND's - Personal Navigation Devices ( cars not big things) or b) set routing to Shortest - they will get out of the way! The latter answer is stupid and the first one isn't a solution - but maybe there isn't a solution.

Hopefully now there is no argument about this any longer . TT does create routes which are unsafe for large vehicles even when set to Fastest Mode as witnessed by various TV reports and many personal experiences. I cannot tell you the number of inadequate roads that I have been encouraged into by TT. I have been told - if it looks dodgy , don;t turn into that road but too often it looks fine until you get around the first bend and then it shrinks to nothing.

So have things moved on? I am at a point where I can easily change , no longer being committed to TT so I am asking if there is a better solution FOR ROUTING RV's. I can see that some systems offer a Truck Mode yet when I have asked I have been told that that simply limits Right Hand turns - is that true or is it a real solution which avoids minor roads for example.

I like what I have read so far of Co Pilot 7 and that might be a possible way to go if I could be convinced about the routing.

Does anyone have any real experience of this. I don't want to hear any of the 'cars will get out of the way' arguments - I have an expensive RV which took a lot of earning and I want to avoid doing too much damage to it if I can avoid it.

In hope

Roy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navteq launched their 'Transport' mapping last month. Devices using this will filter through shortly and it is reasonable to assume TeleAtlas will follow suit.

The mapping has road widths, weights and height limits and the examples we saw could be configured with vehicle weight, length and height and routes calculated accordingly.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren - that is really encouraging news. I guess this is so new that you may not have answers but ... do you anticipate this becoming the 'mainstream' or do you see this as a higher priced option for those who need it? Do you see this as an upgrade to an existing product line - e.g. If I bought CoPIlot live 7 would you anticipate being able to buy this as an add on later?

Roy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'hope' that it will filter through to mainstream products, whether this is as an extra cost add on or not remains to be seen.

Certainly the bad press that navigation has been receiving as a result of vehicles using inappropriate roads should give them a reason to use this map data across the board eventually.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - that is the best news I have heard in a while

Roy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an RV now? In my younger days it used to be a rendezvous.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campervan or motorhome is from the us RV is recreational vehicle

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

you know dennis them things that get in our way when going down to cornwall with a hotshot Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to the subject in hand ALK were at the event darren and i attended as were vdo seimens though vdo were the only one runing the hgv data on a built in system and i have to say it was impressive

the problem with any navigation at the moment is that its designed for cars and man drivers forget this

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Last edited by alix776 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean it's a campervan with a posh accent?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: