Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: V7 Update Information Reply with quote

Important Message:

To all those people who have applied for a free update for there product to V7 - The update packages have just landed at our promotion company and will be shipped out next week!!

Cheers

Stu!!

Laughing

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: V7 Update Information Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
Important Message:

To all those people who have applied for a free update for there product to V7 - The update packages have just landed at our promotion company and will be shipped out next week!!

Cheers

Stu!!

Laughing

Cool... any idea when the paid for ones will land for online purchase.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paid ones will be live on the web as of 4th December....I am now trying to improve on that!

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
broc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu,

Excellent news about the V7 upgrade, I shall look forward to it!

On a different note, when will your UK website carry the V7 products? I was talking to someone at work about my X-980T and I mentioned the V7 version being launched very soon. We discovered the French site includes details but not the UK?
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stu,

I got my new X970T today (well impressed), and wanted to update the speed camera info. So I went to the ViaMichelin Website and all the downloads seem to relate to V6.5.4. When I download V6 of the speed camera updater, the installer says it's not compatible with V7 software. Where do i go to get the correct version? Thanks...
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertie100,

Just use ContentManager, its under MyMichelinGuides i think, it shows a list of things installed and it will allow SpeedCamera updates to be downloaded and added and then use just sync with the PND. Just tried it on my new 980T and it seemed to work fine
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianwarrilow wrote:
Bertie100,

Just use ContentManager, its under MyMichelinGuides i think, it shows a list of things installed and it will allow SpeedCamera updates to be downloaded and added and then use just sync with the PND. Just tried it on my new 980T and it seemed to work fine

Thanks very much Ian... Your info was spot on!
B_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, received my X970T V7 yesterday and having familiarised myself with it, had the opportunity today to start using it on a full day's driving. Bear in mind that I'm a first time GPS user and as such, have no idea at how much better or worst other brands/models are in comparison !
The first drive was on a familiar road and having taken a number of short cuts off the recommended itinerary, the recalculating of a new route is very quick indeed. I found however that, although the route was displayed correctly on the map, a number of spoken right/left turn instructions off some roads into another were missed so you definitely need to keep an eye on the screen to check where you should be heading next.
The TMC reception seems pretty poor to me, although showing a green icon and was receiving info from London to (roughly) Luton, the icon turned red until arriving in the vicinity of Coventry were it seemed patchy but then again, having got there, I was more concentrating on following the direction instructions rather than checking the color of the icons ! The reception was again non existant on the return trip until I got near enough the M25. What doesn't help is that the cable is ridiculously small so you have no chance of fixing the aerial higher up on the windscreen where you ~might~ get a better signal. Incidently, I don't know if it's a fault on my X970 (what do you reckon Stu ?) but when plugging the TMC aerial directly to the unit as opposed to the base/holder, there is no signal whatsoever so it seems you need to carry the base/holder at all times if you want half a chance of getting the benefit of some trafic info.
The satellites reception seems fine and I only noticed losses of signal going under bridges for a second or so at relative low speeds but then again, I didn't get into really "heavily" built areas with tall buildings so...
Bluetooth wise, it seems that if I accept a call via the X970, it's totally unintelligible, if I accept via the mobile, it seems fine, weird !
Now, the navigation... except for some missing turns instructions mentioned before, it seems fine so far. There is a small lag on the on screen vehicle's reported position but it's really minimal and I honestly didn't find it to be a problem specially as the spoken instructions seem to be coming right on time. As for the mapping/routing, for some reason, traveling north, it wanted to get me off the M1 (by junction 8 I think) only to rejoin it at the same junction... mmmmm ! Anyway, I haven't been sent down some dead end road or dirt track yet, but it's only been one day !
What else, ah yes, going through the menus. I think it's personal ! I can instinctively find my way around any Nokia mobiles but give me a Siemens and I'm lost... I'm sure I'll get the hang of accessing the various route settings/info/display easily !
All in all though, it's definitely far easier and safer than steering and going through the gears while trying to read some printed directions or holding an atlas in one hand ! Wink
Clive06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: My new 970T "New Edition" Reply with quote

I've had my 970T "New Edition" for a couple of days now Very Happy
Initialy unable to register on the VM site.
Stu's advice to phone 0870 735 03 60 (0,07 pence/minute) worked well.
Straight through on both occasions to a helpful French guy who spoke reasonable English.
I needed to manually install some drivers on my XP PC from the DVD. Then all was well. I got the impression that this was a common problem.

Early days I know - but a few points so far:

The supplied hard copy of the manual is only a Quickstart guide - very basic.
    I eventually found the Full V7 "New Edition" Manual available for download from the Help section - the first one I downloaded from My GPS page was rather unhelpfully a pre v7 version.

Safety camera updates are not yet compatible with v7 according to VM in France. Apparently they are working on it but no time estimate available.

The Postcode function seems to lack usability.
    My wife's TOMTOM running on a Mio pocket PC is simple and quick. Enter postcode - gives road name and asks which house number.
    The 970 only gives the town initialy and if you accept this, it goes straight ahead and calculates the route to a default house number in the correct road, but no option that I can see to input a house number. The only way I have found to enter a house number is to avoid the postcode function and manually enter the town, then the street and then finally the house number.

It was a bit of a faff setting up the devise to use the UK maps - by trial and error discovered "K" designates UK!

On a plus point, the TMC seemed to be working (green) for perhaps 80% of the time today in my local patch south of London Very Happy
thehorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stu,

I've had my X970T for 2 days now and all is not well!

You previously indicated that the handsfree works fine with a blackberry pearl, based on your comments I bought the x970 however I have the following problems....

1. I can't download my address book (x970 says phone not compatible!)

2. I have so far had 2 instances after using the handsfree where the x970 loses it's sound totally (voice instruction no longer heard) - I have to put a pin in the reset hole to restore.

3. Even on full volume, the speaker is very quiet, to the point of being totally unusable - I know the x970 has a loud enough speaker as I can get the navigation voice instructions very loud, so why not in in handsfree?

On top of that I have noted some other issues........

1. On a 400mile round trip to leeds yesterday I did not at any point manage to get a TMC signal (although another poster has commented that the antenna only seems to work when plugged into the holder - I had mine plugged into the back?)

2. Noticed that the position shown can be 30-40yds behind where you actually are.

3. Also noted on a quick test that the two nearest supermarkets to my house I use are not shown under the supermarket search (Sainsburys savacentre in Calcot and Waitrose in Wallingford)

Don't get me wrong, the x970t has lots of great features for a very reasonable price, but unless you can indicate that most of the issues outlined above are likely to be fixed by a FOC firmware update at some point in the near future, I'm tempted to send it back and get a TomTom/Garmin.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I can't download my address book (x970 says phone not compatible!)

3. Even on full volume, the speaker is very quiet, to the point of being totally unusable - I know the x970 has a loud enough speaker as I can get the navigation voice instructions very loud, so why not in in handsfree?

2. Noticed that the position shown can be 30-40yds behind where you actually are.

3. Also noted on a quick test that the two nearest supermarkets to my house I use are not shown under the supermarket search (Sainsburys savacentre in Calcot and Waitrose in Wallingford)

[quote]

Stu may need to clarify but it would seem that even if the phone works with bluetooth for handsfree it may not be compitable with GPRS (seems so many different standards and thats the fault of the phone makers / networks).

Are you sure the cradle is getting power, on my x980 I have sometimes not pushed the power into the lighter socket fully which in turn makes the amp speaker in the cradle not work.

Check your lock on GPS sats, if I remeber unless you get a lock of 4 or more sats your position will not be calculated correctly as the device is having to guess you location. The higher the number of sats detected the more accurate your position should be on the map.

Supermarket listings are down to TeleAtlas as far as I know. You are better off importing lists from PocketGPSworld for your favourate supermarkets.

Last edited by jonandmarkuk on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thehorse,

The lag in position and the issues with bluetooth you have with version 7 I also had with my x970t (version 6.5). It would seem these have not been addressed. With the bluetooth I sometime got the unit crashing when the call ended. Most times they wouldn't connect automatically either.

Unless they have redesigned the hardware I don't recall being able to plug the TMC antenna directly into the unit. It could only be plugged into the cradle. The device has a socket for an external gps antenna.

The cradle has a built in speaker that increases the volume but this cradle needs to be powered. I found the plug didn't always connect properly into the cigarette lighter socket in the car (used with two cars).

Edit:
Just noticed that you said the voice commands are loud enough. With hands free I seem to remember there being a 'phone volume' menu item. Although as I said, this was with version 6.5
thehorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shinymera / Jonandmarkuk

Thanks for your comments.

I've tried the antenna in the holder and I'm at least getting some bars on the TMC info page, so I guess you are right that the socket on the back is for an external GPS.

I did make sure the unit was in the cradle, but even so the handsfree is only really usable when stationary with the engine off, although I did manage to have a conversation on the M1 the other day by leaning right forward and asking the person on the other end to shout. Not very relaxing!

I will download the POI's from this site which I guess are more comprehensive
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehorse wrote:

I've tried the antenna in the holder and I'm at least getting some bars on the TMC info page, so I guess you are right that the socket on the back is for an external GPS.

I did make sure the unit was in the cradle, but even so the handsfree is only really usable when stationary with the engine off, although I did manage to have a conversation on the M1 the other day by leaning right forward and asking the person on the other end to shout. Not very relaxing!

As suggested look to see if the volume for handsfree can be adjusted. I don't have v7 yet so I can only go by what is available in 6.5. Certainly when I tried the handsfree on my x980 the volume seemed fine, if not a little too loud. Laughing
thehorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked that and there is a slider for the phone volume that was on max.

jonandmarkuk wrote:
thehorse wrote:

As suggested look to see if the volume for handsfree can be adjusted. I don't have v7 yet so I can only go by what is available in 6.5. Certainly when I tried the handsfree on my x980 the volume seemed fine, if not a little too loud. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: