Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 510 has fatal error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

510 has fatal error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: 510 has fatal error Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm stumped by this one. When I turn on the 510 I'm warned:
Fatal Application Error: "AppStartUpSec.exe has performed an illegal operation etc"

Exception: 0xC000001C
Address: 800AE330

When the Navman is plugged into the computer it is not recognised because it has not fired up. So I cannot open it in Smart Desktop. I'm also warned by Microsoft ActiveSync that it has not setup a connection.

If it can't bee seen by the computer as it's not starting, how can I remove/repair the software? I have reset it many times with & without the card inserted, but I get the same failure at startup.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Roy.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 510 has fatal error Reply with quote

Shipwreck wrote:
Hi all. I'm stumped by this one. When I turn on the 510 I'm warned:
Fatal Application Error: "AppStartUpSec.exe has performed an illegal operation etc"

Address: 800AE330

When the Navman is plugged into the computer it is not recognised because it has not fired up. So I cannot open it in Smart Desktop. I'm also warned by Microsoft ActiveSync that it has not setup a connection.

If it can't bee seen by the computer as it's not starting, how can I remove/repair the software? I have reset it many times with & without the card inserted, but I get the same failure at startup.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Roy.

Is that actually a hard reset, Roy? ie powering the device down and letting the software re-load?
I've seen a thread on this somewhere and will try to find it. Cannot remember the fix but will come back if I can.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 510 has fatal error Reply with quote

Shipwreck wrote:

That's WinCE "Invalid System Service" exception. What have you been doing with your device?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 510 has fatal error Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
Shipwreck wrote:

That's WinCE "Invalid System Service" exception. What have you been doing with your device?

Same question, Roy. I found the original thread/s and they were all to do with members who had been fiddling with the software. Perhaps (?) there is a fix if you can explain what you have been doing. Apologies if this is just an act of God.
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks to everyone for trying to help. It must be an act of God! When I put it away it was working perfectly. the only things I have loaded are the speed.... oops I mean safety camera database.

I have tried the reset button on top of the device. I get one of two messages. Fatal Aplication Error or it will try to load the software stopping at "US_fef3.dat" each time.

Any more thoughts or shall I use it as a door stop?

Roy
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that should have read "US_fem3.dat"

Roy. Confused
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Shipwreck wrote:
Hi all, thanks to everyone for trying to help. It must be an act of God! When I put it away it was working perfectly. the only things I have loaded are the speed.... oops I mean safety camera database.

I have tried the reset button on top of the device. I get one of two messages. Fatal Aplication Error or it will try to load the software stopping at "US_fef3.dat" each time.

Any more thoughts or shall I use it as a door stop?

Roy

Roy
Don't despair. You have the ordinary off/on switch on the front of the Navman, next to it you have a button with a house on it, you have the reset switch on top of the device and you have a power button/switch on the lower back - right? (see page 9, in your Navman manual). Have you tried (apart from the normal on/off switch) the other three methods?
1. Reset switch on top
2. Holding down the button on the front top right with the House on it - that also does a hard reset.
3. Switch off the power button on the back bottom left.

In each case leave for a minute before turning back on and allow the software to reload.

Let me know if that works. Do it with or without the Sd card installed. Wink
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee-Pee, yep I have tried all three of the things you mentioned. It is still stalling at "US_fem3.dat" If I'm lucky enough to get it that far.

Getting desparate! Shocked
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipwreck wrote:
Hi Gee-Pee, yep I have tried all three of the things you mentioned. It is still stalling at "US_fem3.dat" If I'm lucky enough to get it that far.

Getting desparate! Shocked

Have you spoken to Navman tech Support? It might mean posting it to them at Horley and get them to sort it for you - better than using it as a doorstop. I'm sure it's not all lost. Wink Frustrating, I know.
Sent you a PM
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gee-Pee I guess that's going to be my last hope. Many thanks to everyone who gave their sugestions.

Roy.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipwreck wrote:
It is still stalling at "US_fem3.dat" If I'm lucky enough to get it that far.

How do you know it's stalling at "US_fem3.dat"? That's US English female voice file and only map loading progress is displayed on the screen during the start up.
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TheM,
It tries to start in one of two ways. Ether:

Upon booting I get:

Fatal Application Error: "AppStartUpSec.exe has performed an illegal operation etc" & will not proceed any further.
or,
an "Application Startup Secondary box" (Backup/Restore Application Data)
which scroles through many files at it tries to load unil it gets to "US_Fem3.dat" & stops in it's tracks.

Regards,
Roy.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: 510 has fatal error Reply with quote

You'll probably have to reinstall the software from CDs (you still have them, right?) but to do that you need it to connect to your PC.

Shipwreck wrote:

So, this is a problem. Have you tried setting the battery switch to Off, connecting it to the PC and then flipping battery switch to On?

Also, just to confirm, you have tried turning the device on with memory card removed and it still fails to start up?
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TheM Yes I have tried all of those. It will not be recognised by the computer until it boots up unfortunately............

HOLD THAT THOUGHT. Razz I have just tried again to connect it to the computer. It is now connected. I have access to all of the folders. What do I do, or delete to completely remove the software & re-load it?

The SmartDesktop software however will not show any of the maps loaded. I think this may be because it has still not booted up fully.

I will leave the thing connected until someone can sugest where I go from here!

Roy
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipwreck wrote:
I have just tried again to connect it to the computer. It is now connected. I have access to all of the folders. What do I do, or delete to completely remove the software & re-load it?

That's great -- you should be able to restore it now. Check the CDs you got with the unit -- one of the CDs should contain application installer that will restore your device. I think all your data (favourites, recents, avoid areas) will be deleted so just in case copy them first to your PC (either use Desktop, or if that doesn't work just search for the files on device -- they all have recognizable names). After everything is reinstalled Desktop may want you to download service pack.

Shipwreck wrote:
The SmartDesktop software however will not show any of the maps loaded. I think this may be because it has still not booted up fully.

Don't worry about the maps -- after your device is working again you can use Desktop to restore maps from CDs and fetch your licenses from Navman's registration server.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: