Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Saab touchscreen Sat Nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Saab touchscreen Sat Nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Saab touchscreen Sat Nav Reply with quote

I just purchased a Saab 9-3 convertable and it came with a Sat Nav, great I thought I can now give my Garmin Nuvi 310 to my partner for her to use in the family car, but wait, NO, you cant enter postcodes and so to do a few trips last week took much longer to enter and infact took me to the wrong place - because theres to green roads in one area..

Also its so expensive to update, cant download POI, and the user manual is just a few pages. So I still have the Nuvi 310 in the car as well.....which also does traffic and Europe same as the Saab but for £260 and not as an option at around £2,000 !!!!!

so if anyone knows
1) How to get POI downloaded and on the machine
2) any user manuals that allow you to get th emost form the device
any more tips, please

will someone start to support these OEM Sat Navs, to make cheaper updates...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is down to the car manufacturers to start supplying vehicles with systems that can accept custom POI files and work with a more regular map format.
The current in vehicle systems are nothing short of a joke in terms of capability, functionality and upgradability - I would never want a vehicle with a built in device as it wouldn't come close to the capabilities of even a low end after market device - you can do more with a two year old Garmin i3 which was available for as little as £99 than you can with a top of the range OEM vehicle manufcturer fitted GPS system - keep the Nuvi for a while longer if I were you.

As a side note has your Saab got that really "useful" button on the dash that turns everything off in the dark, gauges, switch illumination etc? - Mike
etaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a side note has your Saab got that really "useful" button on the dash that turns everything off in the dark, gauges, switch illumination etc? - Mike

Yes, i have actually used when driving home from Hull (250 miles) one night after a very long week and a long 5hr drive home, and found it very useful, made it a lot more easier on the eyes, it would be useful if the Time was still left on - also if the time was on the dash, in some modes no time at all...so not sure if the comment was with a smile, but I was very surprised when I used it

as has been said in another forum, at least the Saab Sat Nac screen makes a nice flat surface to Mount my Garmin Smile Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a side note has your Saab got that really "useful" button on the dash that turns everything off in the dark, gauges, switch illumination etc?

Don't most cars come with a dial to turn the lights down??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was intended as very much with a smile, the first time I tried it on the M25 in heavy traffic and bed weather I wondered what was going on and struggled to find it to turn the dash back on! - needless to say I didn't use it again, I only had the car for a week!
Still you have found a use for the Sat Nav display by the sounds of it Cool - Mike
etaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this switch turns everything OFF the radio, all the lights for heater etc - so you are just left with a speedo - which you can set to just show 0-90MPH

Thats how i found out when playing with a saab 95 and thought at the time what a stupid idea, and never used it again on the 95, which i had for 4 months.... but was useful on that one occasion, although on the M25 you need all the help you can get, I have to travel on it every day ...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Saab touchscreen Sat Nav Reply with quote

etaf wrote:
1) How to get POI downloaded and on the machine
Not on that unit - some enterprising people have managed to achieve this on other models, but I've not heard of anything for the Saab units.
Quote:
2) any user manuals that allow you to get th emost form the device
There's not normally anything beyond what the manufacturer supplies, and any help you can find from manufacturer-specific web forums.
Quote:
will someone start to support these OEM Sat Navs, to make cheaper updates...
The manufacturers often get their units custom made, with custom software, and custom encoded maps (although they all come from a couple of mapping providers they don't all use common formats to ensure they can get their revenue cut of updates). The exception to this is some manufacturers use customised kit from consumer SatNav providers, and hence it's sometimes possible to get map updates from other sources - eg Volkswagen use(d) Blaupunkt gear, and hence it was once possible to get cheaper map updates from Blaupunkt instead of VW. I've no idea what the situation with Saab is though.
etaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - all tied up for max profit then
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not familiar with the manufacturers own units but would this be any help: http://pimp-my-nav.com ?

doesn't mention saab though...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: