Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

The ViaMichelin site has 3,942 safety cameras in its Oct 2007 UK database.
The current Pocket GPS UK database has 11,618 active cameras if you include all types ie Gatso/Mobile/Temporary/Specs/Redlight/Truvelo/Monitron/RedSpeed/Mobile.
I appreciate that the ViaMichelin database is free - however why such a large difference?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

Clive06 wrote:
The ViaMichelin site has 3,942 safety cameras in its Oct 2007 UK database.
The current Pocket GPS UK database has 11,618 active cameras if you include all types ie Gatso/Mobile/Temporary/Specs/Redlight/Truvelo/Monitron/RedSpeed/Mobile.
I appreciate that the ViaMichelin database is free - however why such a large difference?

As with most GPS units and maps which can be brought it only covers the fixed speed cameras. I have never seen any GPS company or maps cover as much as Pocketgpsworld.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main differences is that we use aan authorised database which sticks to fixed cameras - This does include any which are in roadworks on the motorway.
Pocket GPS information is added to by the users - For Example -Where users see a mobile camera van they upload the info to the site to share with other users, but this info isnt checked by a third party.
We stick to the fixed known ones but I have found this database to be ok, don't forget we have a speed warner in V7 keyed intot eh speed limit for the road you are on so you could always try staying within the speed limit Wink
Everyone disagrees about how useful different databases are but I think we all agree that the UK has far too many Speed Cameras!!!

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
we have a speed warner in V7 keyed intot eh speed limit for the road you are on

That sounds good. On version 6 I turned it off because it would say I was going too fast for a 60mph road when I wasn't do anything near the speed of the road.
As for the speed camera's the best thing to do is use the Viamichelin ones for the fixed cameras as they give proper warnings with the speed (on the x980t) it says something like "Speed camara 200 yards away, 40mph maximum". But if you install the ones from here all you get is a beep, having said that 6.5.4 software also has the voice syth option for POI but I have never heard it work - interesting it was something else I suggested on the website (see a company who does listen to feedback).

Stick with the Viamichelin ones and then install the mobile and other cameras from here so you don't get a conflict of the alerts.
Clive06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and advice Guys,
Re installing the Pocket GPS mobile camera databases to suppliment the ViaMichelin fixed camera database:

1. The Pocket GPS download page refers to:
PND Software / X950 / X950T as compatable using ASC files.
But X930 as not compatable.
Are the Pocket GPS Mobile databases uploadable to the X970T?

2 Which of the files would be included in the Via Michelin database? ie Gatso/Mobile/Temporary/Specs/Redlight/Truvelo/Monitron/RedSpeed/Mobile.

The chance to get questions answered so promptly is very much appreciated Smile
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, can confirm that you can load all the PocketGPSworld cameras onto an X-970T. You can find the 'how to' elsewhere in this forum.

I must admit that it is quite a bit more fiddly than I experienced with my previous Garmin and Mio but once installed it does work well.

I must also admit its the mobile cameras that worry me, generally (but not always) the fixed ones are visible but the mobile ones are often hidden so a few excess warnings are preferred to excess points Laughing

However warnings appear to be via Chimes rather than any kind of spoken command since I am not aware that the x-970T (v 6.5.4.) has any voice commands other than directional commands
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

I can confirm that you can load on third party POI files onto all our devices and this will still be the case in the new Content Manager which comes with V7......

I will see about getting a listing of the types of camera to post...

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing on the speed camera files front: Can it be made possible that, as well as having a special icon associated with a particular file of camera locations, a sound file could also be associated with the same file?

Also on the subject of sounds the manual makes mention of different sounds/warners BUT which is which? My X-970T makes all kinds of sounds BUT I don't understand what they are for! Can someone make a list of what sound is what and why does my screen flash sometimes when I know I am definately NOT speeding?
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However warnings appear to be via Chimes rather than any kind of spoken command since I am not aware that the x-970T (v 6.5.4.) has any voice commands other than directional commands

From when I had my 970T it did have a couple of voice commands those I'm aware of were 'Traffic Information' to draw your attention and 'Road closed' or something along those lines.

The over speed warnings were like a little cough or speaker static. The camera warnings were a simple chime.
Clive06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: UK verses European Maps Reply with quote

One last point (hopefully) before I get out my credit card!

Sorry to ask what is probably a daft question. but will the UK and Ireland map option provide a higher degree of detail for the UK than that supplied for the UK in the European Map option?

I ask this odd question only because a retailers site states:
"All the motorways and major roads in Europe"
In its description of the ViaMichelin X-970T Europe.

Obviously, for day to day use in the UK, minor roads would also be needed.

Many thanks,
Clive.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be no different. Mapping on the Europe one will be just the same. Unless anyone knows any different?
broc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level of map detail on my X-980T (European maps) is comparable with those on Destinator 6 if that's any help. I used my X-980T to follow a route from my home near Newcastle upon Tyne to Ravenglass in Cumbria and the road detail was the same. Neither device chooses the route we normally use, but that's because I know which roads to avoid while driving my motorcaravan.
The X-980T is quicker to accept my choice of route than Destinator, I had to disable 'U-turns' in Destinator because it was such a nag......
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED AN X950 WILL I BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO VERSION 7 SOFTWARE, Laughing
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: UK verses European Maps Reply with quote

Clive06 wrote:
One last point (hopefully) before I get out my credit card!

Sorry to ask what is probably a daft question. but will the UK and Ireland map option provide a higher degree of detail for the UK than that supplied for the UK in the European Map option?

I ask this odd question only because a retailers site states:
"All the motorways and major roads in Europe"
In its description of the ViaMichelin X-970T Europe.

Obviously, for day to day use in the UK, minor roads would also be needed.

Many thanks,
Clive.

Clive

The retailer has the info wrong - All our maps are all the way down to street level mapping throughout the whole of Europe including the UK and Ireland. No Issues with minor roads at all.

www.leyio.com

Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeann90 wrote:
I HAVE JUST PURCHASED AN X950 WILL I BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO VERSION 7 SOFTWARE, Laughing

V7 is able to upgrade the X-950 from version 6 onwards which should include yours.

www.leyio.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: