Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT720 losing 'Warn when near' camera settings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT720 losing 'Warn when near' camera settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: TT720 losing 'Warn when near' camera settings Reply with quote

I downloaded the pgpsw speed zoned camera database and ogg files a week ago. I set up the 'Warn when near' distances and sound effects, and did a route demo to check that the spoken warnings were working.

Today I passed speed cameras while using the device for the first time, and got no warnings. When I got home I did the route demo again without getting any warnings, and when I checked the settings, found the distances had all reverted to the 300 yard default setting, so presumably the sound effect setting had also been lost.

As far as I can remember all I have done since setting the warnings up is to install some pgpsw POIs, and connect to Home 1.6 to upload and download map and POI corrections.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can suggest why this might have happened and how I can avoid it happening again. I have fewer than 100 ov2 files.
Samsung Galaxy S21
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: TT720 losing 'Warn when near' camera settings Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
and connect to Home 1.6 to upload and download map and POI corrections.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can suggest why this might have happened and how I can avoid it happening again. I have fewer than 100 ov2 files.

Can't help with the loss of warnings, never had that problem but others have also reported the same problem.

As to having fewer than 100 .ov2 files you need to check the map folder as you said you have downloaded map and POI corrections, this can put anything up to 60 .ov2 files into the map folder. They will be in the form of CA****.ov2 and PA****.ov2, in fact just checking mine I have a total of 66 of them. This leaves me with only 34 available for the PGPSW speed related .ov2's and any others.

If you go over the 100 total then it will be the PGPSW and any others you install that wont show up on the Go 720 but there is no way of knowing which of the ov2 files from PGPSW or you own won't show up.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: TT720 losing 'Warn when near' camera settings Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Can't help with the loss of warnings, never had that problem but others have also reported the same problem.

Thanks, Graham.

I did search the forum before posting and didn't find any previous references to the problem, but it's sometimes difficult to hit on the right search terms.

xda wrote:
As to having fewer than 100 .ov2 files you need to check the map folder as you said you have downloaded map and POI corrections, this can put anything up to 60 .ov2 files into the map folder. They will be in the form of CA****.ov2 and PA****.ov2, in fact just checking mine I have a total of 66 of them. This leaves me with only 34 available for the PGPSW speed related .ov2's and any others.

If you go over the 100 total then it will be the PGPSW and any others you install that wont show up on the Go 720 but there is no way of knowing which of the ov2 files from PGPSW or you own won't show up.

Andy_P2002 had pointed out that the CAxxxx.ov2 & PAxxxx.ov2 files downloaded through Mapshare were included in the POI count, and I deleted them and have reduced the categories I accept during updates, so I'm well under the 100. But it's always worth reminding people!

I don't think it would have been the number of POIs causing the problem anyway, as they were all available to navigate to, but in every case when I entered the 'Warn when near' facility I didn't get the 'Remove warning?' screen and all distances had reverted to 300 yards.

Can anyone else suggest a cause and cure?
Samsung Galaxy S21
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TT720 losing 'Warn when near' camera settings Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
but in every case when I entered the 'Warn when near' facility I didn't get the 'Remove warning?' screen and all distances had reverted to 300 yards.

Can anyone else suggest a cause and cure?

As to the cause, don't know, but to cure it you will need to go to Manage POI, add POI, and re do all your POI's again. all your POI's are there but it has lost it's warning settings so you need to go through them all again. If you are using the .OOG files it only takes a few minutes.

Set your warning distance, then the type of warning, I use the first option Full spoken warnings, then tick the warn only if POI is on route. Repeat for each one and you will have them all back again.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
istinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also happened out of the blue to my 520 with the zoned cameras too. What a pain I had to re enable the alerts for each camera & speed type. Is this another gremlin
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of us (including me) have repeatedley suffered from this issue where speed cam warnings are lost. It's a real pain, as far as I'm aware the cause is yet to be identified. I reported it to tomtom...only to be fobbed off.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some have said that it happens at some point while connected to Home (either when downloading Mapshare updates or when using the virtual machine on screen).
However when it first did it to me (twice), I was on holiday in Scotland and never connected it to a PC at all. So it is still a mystery quite what triggers it to forget the warn when near settings.
It's done it to me probably 5 times now....
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TT720 losing 'Warn when near' camera settings Reply with quote

Thanks, Graham. I know how to get the warnings back, but I shouldn't have to do it! And I didn't realise they weren't working until I was on the M25, where it's so easy for your speed to creep up that the camera warnings are particularly valuable.

It means I shall have to check them every time I use the device to make sure they haven't lost the settings again. Evil or Very Mad

Andy, thanks for your input. I wondered if it had anything to do with Home/Mapshare, and was going to avoid it for a while and see what happens, but from your experience that doesn't seem to be the cause.

Thanks istinson & pete1336 too. I guess I'll just add to the reports to TomTom and hope they sort it out soon. Well, I always was an optimist! Laughing
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: