Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Empire Strikes Back
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Empire Strikes Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: The Empire Strikes Back Reply with quote

Colleagues may be interested in this news!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7033353.stm
Sorry if this is off topic - I normally only visit TTG pages of this site.
Drive safely!!
Cheers
Spot
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, nothing unique in the logging functionality but it would be interesting to know how the additional accuracy is obtained, something to do with the GSM phone perhaps?
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if the data logs from trripmaster would stand up in court Very Happy
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
i wonder if the data logs from trripmaster would stand up in court Very Happy

If I was being prosecuted for speeding and I was convinced that the detector was at fault, I would certainly offer them in my defence and allow the magistrates to decide. You would have to be pretty sure of your ground though... You might however be able to persuade the CPS to drop the case if you had good evidence that they might have a fight on their hands.

It might also be of use if your car was cloned, in that you could offer evidence that you were elsewhere at the time.

Z.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the wheel speed sensor signal from a car equipped with ABS it will generate a square wave pulse train, the frequency of this square wave is directly proportional to vehicle speed. If you then ''callibrate'' the wheel frequency against the GPS speed which is easy in software you can have an accurate speed record far more frequently updated than the 1Hz GPS derived speed, using this method removes any inaccuracy due to tyre wear or temperature and pressure changes.
Getting the wheel speed frequency into the PC is easy using an AtoD converter. The GPS data can be easily recorded on the PC from either a Bluetooth receiver or direct connection to the PC serial port.
The device pictures I have seen appear to resemble an EPIA mini / micro ATX board which is regularly used for car based projects as they are cheap cost effective and can be equipped with a power supply that feeds direct from the 12V DC in the vehicle.
The key to this being usable data must reside with the GSM connection being used to store the data in a secure way to prevent it being altered, it is certainly not rocket science to alter the NMEA data in a trip log making the data display any speed you want, even altering the check sum value is easy when you know how.
Perhaps the CPS decided they were on sticky ground and threw the case to prevent the advertising a case dismissed verdict would have made - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Perhaps the CPS decided they were on sticky ground and threw the case to prevent the advertising a case dismissed verdict would have made - Mike

Well, that's what Phillip Tann and Autopoietic Systems would like us to believe anyway.

bbc wrote:
A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: The officer who operated the camera has since retired.

The way I read it, the case was dropped because the officer involved was not available to give evidence because he had retired. This would hold true for ANY alleged speeding offence recorded by that officer if the defendant elected to defend the case in court.

Having a data logger sounds like a great theory, but despite what Autopoietic Systems would have us believe, this wasn't a test case of their system and I think they would have a real hard time proving that the evidence hadn't been tampered with and having it accepted in court.

Even if the court did accept that the tracklog was an accurate log of the journey, what would stop the prosecution demanding that the company holding the data to produce the complete log ALL the data recorded by the system. Shocked

No problem if you never, ever, ever exceeded the speed limit..... Confused

Anyway, let's hear what this guy has to say:

Quote:
"My system can track a GPS phone within half-a-metre of where it is, whereas devices currently on the market can, at best, only track a phone within five metres."

He goes on to claim he was doing "29.717 MPH, it's accurate to 15 decimal places". The reporter goes on to claim that the location and speed are "up to 20 times more accurate that existing systems".

A consumer GPS unit typically quotes an accuracy to about .1 MPH. Even using some sort of dead reckoning like a gyroscope and wheel speed sensor, he isn't going to improve on that accuracy much. Certainly not to 15 decimal places like he claims.

And improve accuracy to half a meter? How does that work then? If such a thing was possible in a unit retailing for £60 don't you thing that the likes of SiRF and Garmin would have integrated the technology into their GPS units?

Now I don't know about you guys but my BS detector is going off like crazy. This is more like something you would read in the Daily Mail - pretty crap reporting and an obvious plug for someone's product by the BBC.

Stop!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
The way I read it, the case was dropped because the officer involved was not available to give evidence because he had retired. This would hold true for ANY alleged speeding offence recorded by that officer if the defendant elected to defend the case in court.

Precisely. We do not know if the CPS would have defended the case if the camera operator had been available.

I'm trying to seek more information on the claimed accuracy of his software which I find hard to believe.
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
using this method removes any inaccuracy due to tyre wear or temperature and pressure changes.

Am I missing something here?

Assuming that the square wave is generated by the rotation of the wheel, then changing the circumference of the wheel WILL change the speed of the vehicle while the the wheel rotates at the same speed.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nivek22 wrote:
Assuming that the square wave is generated by the rotation of the wheel, then changing the circumference of the wheel WILL change the speed of the vehicle while the the wheel rotates at the same speed.

These systems are called "dead reckoning". What they do is use the GPS to dynamically calibrate the speed sensor from the wheel.

So, if the system detects that you are traveling in a straight line with a good GPS reception for several seconds then it can be fairly confident that it has an accurate speed reading from the GPS. It now uses this data to figure out how many pulses it gets from the wheel over a particular distance.

It can now augment the GPS data with the data from the wheel speed and use this when the GPS reception is poor or to enable the system to log data at a faster rate than the one sample per second provided by the GPS.

Really clever systems add a gyroscope, electronic compass or accelerometer to detect changes in direction too.
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I was missing something Smile thanks for that.
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem would of been, if this guy got off with his case because of that device, then the government would have all new cars fitted with a device like it and every time someone goes over 30 mph in a 30 zone, you automatically get fined
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: