Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC - You are being watched by Big Brother
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC - You are being watched by Big Brother

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: TMC - You are being watched by Big Brother Reply with quote

Have a read here -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=483682&in_page_id=1770

Our roads have been paid for by hard pressed over taxed motorists for generations.
With probably the highest fuel tax's in the world we pay by the mile for every mile we drive and the blame for polution lies on the doorstep of Governement and the Motor and Oil industries, we pay huge ammounts of duty on buying cars and VAT on that and all other motoring related services and equipment and now we have TMC selling out to the devil!
So if your TMC does work and your trying to keep out of the heavy traffic you are likely to add to further penalties for motorists Crying or Very sad
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused by this.

How can a sat-nav system give vehicle details? If I take my PDA or other devices from car to car, how do they know what car i'm in? In fact how do they know who I am??

TMC is a free to air service surely, unless you have to register for it, or your device has to send out a code to receive it, I don't see how this could happen.

Stands back and waits for clever dicks to put him right .......... Wink
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it's got nothing to do with TMC. The Daily Mail report says it only relates to uses of the SmartNav service from TM.

Secondly, I have a personal feeling that this is an example of really bad reporting - the contract with the DfT is for the supply of traffic flow data from TM's 50,000 vehicle sensors plus it's fixed sensor network. Those 50,000 are part of TM's commercial fleet business, and nothing (as I understand it) to do with their SmartNav consumer business.

Also, the contract is for traffic flow data, although it does seem (according to the Daily Mail) to include a provision for actual number plates. Of course, unless their main license has been updated, the fixed sensors are not allowed to record the whole number plate, and hence the only vehicles uniquely tracked are those already fitted with a tracking device...

I could be wrong, but I don't believe this is a good example of Big Brother - a better example is the London Congestion Charging system - which, although standalone at inception, now has the capability to provide data to other organisations.

In my opinion, the Daily Mail is either making a story where there isn't one, or there is a story, and they've not fully described (to those who understand how these systems work) exactly what the story is...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another load of journalistic rubbish. There are many errors in the article. Firstly the traffic monitoring system they refer to is TrafficMaster's PTFM (Passive Target Flow Measurement) Network. This is not TMC (although they may use the data from PTFM in their RAC/TrafficMaster service).

PTFM is the network of 7000+ sensors on Blue poles across all major A and M Routes in the UK. The Infra-red cameras capture the electronic pattern of number plates of passing vehicles. This is then converted on-site into a "tag" and in a similar way to SPECS these tags are compared with records from other sensors to compute travelling time. The difference is that no identifying information is used, the sensors read the number plate pattern not the actual number, convert that into a non-identifying hash code and then compare with data from other sensors.

The data has a shelf life of 30 minutes after which it is automatically deleted, cannot identify an individual vehicle in any way that could be used to identify the owners nor is it recorded. In fact it was a specific clause of the licence that the system could not be capable of this.

SmartNav may well use the data as it's a TrafficMaster service, but again it's traffic density information and journey times only.

I did try commenting on the article but ended up going around in circles with their anti-bot protection and after trying two browsers gave up, perhaps that is the idea!

Last edited by Darren on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren - as well as the PTFM fixed network sensors, Trafficmaster also have access to real speed information from 50,000 vehicle sensors.

From TM themselves on the subject of this DfT contract: "Trafficmaster will supply a combination of real road speed data, collected from its 50,000 intelligent vehicle probes and journey time and traffic flow data collected through its fixed sensor network, positioned across major roads in the UK."

In all other points, I completely agree with you though.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice where the device is positioned in the picture? Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Did you notice where the device is positioned in the picture? Confused

Godd isn't it Stop it!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Another load of journalistic rubbish.

The Register has written a response to the article with what appears to be some actual technical insight into how the system works. It is, of course, nothing like the Daily Mail's description.

I'm with Darren - this paper does print rubbish. I was going to post their perpetual motion story here but decided it was a bit too off topic... Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: