Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on TomTom 520 Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on TomTom 520 Mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
istinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Advice on TomTom 520 Mount Reply with quote

Can anyone advise me on a good dashboard mount that hs easy to remove completely (no clues to thieves). I previously had a One which I attached magnetically using a Krusell Quickmount magnet & metal strip. Alas this won't stick well to the Go & it covers the speaker making John Cleese sound like a dalek.

I've seen pictures of the ? Brodit ones but they seem to need a huge unsitely plate wihch would cover my Vectra C's airvents.

Many thanks

Ian

Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using just the small square plate (that slips into the groove on the back of the TT) from the Brodit mount and fix that to your magnet thing?
istinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - is the Brodit clip steel hence magnetic ?? Question

Ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, its plastic.

I might have this wrong then.... I looked at the Krusell Quickmount on the web and thought the magnet itself went on the back of the unit, and that then clamped itself to a steel part of the dashboard.

Reading your post more carefully, you mention a steel strip. Does that go on the back of the satnav instead? If so, isn't the big magnet bit left on the dash? 'Cos you said you were looking for a solution where it leaves no clues...

Tell us what bit goes where and I'll have another think Smile
istinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks the (very strong) magnet itself is a circular rubber covered disc that is slightly larger than a 10 p piece that sticks to the dashboard. It comes with a small adhesive metal strip - I'd put 2 of these on my One V2 (where the mount would normally attach) and this attached the One very securely.

Because of the curve ot the 520 & also putting it over the speaker grill means that the small strips (I've tried 2 ) do not stick The stips are about 4cm x 2cm long. (BTW it is an excellent and almost invisible solution for mounting any mobile phone !!)

I suppose if the brodit base is flat the strips could be stuck to that Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right... got you.
If you don't mind having the magnet in view, maybe you wouldn't mind a Brodit "move clip", which is a flat wedge plate. Maybe not as elegant as the magnet, but much less objectionable than the normal vent-type mounts.
I've got one glued to my dash with the supplied sticky strips and it's been solid as a rock (and that ws with a heavy GO300!). I also used the spare plate to mount a dummy airfreshner for when I'm parked in a dodgy area, but don't tell anyone!!

Have a look at this page, which shows the Moveclip and another brand plate for the 720
http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/moveclipsDSL.asp

Or there's a "mini moveclip" HERE. Must admit, I can't remember which one I've got.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: