Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Cameras Dissapear from XL Europe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Cameras Dissapear from XL Europe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Safety Cameras Dissapear from XL Europe? Reply with quote

Bought an XL Europe this weekend, plugged into PC, ran HOME and it updated the unit to V7. I noticed that I now couldn't see any of the pre-loaded safety cameras. After several frustrating hours I gave up. Called TomTom support and they told me that the Format for safety cameras was not compatible with V7 and they needed me to send them my proof of purchase so they could change my account to let me download the new camera database. I suggested they include this with any V7 download as surely a lot of you folks out there must be finding this happening?

So, I thought I'd post this to help you all if you're having the same problems!

BTW, the Support lady from TomTOm was very polite and helpful, nice to hear in this day and age of 'overseas' call centres!!!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing of all is to download them (Camera Updates) from here, they're far more up to date than TT's! Smile

And they don't go missing & you can select the sound that your TT makes to alert you too! Very Happy
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wazza, yup, I know the pgpsworld database is good and assignable voices etc etc and have used it in the past but my point was that the XL is advertised as coming with pre-loaded safety cameras and anyone who buys it should be able to use them 'out-of-the-box' and not have to pay another subscription to get what they've paied for (albeit the pgpsworld is somwehat enhanced I grant you). I posted this merely to help others who may be somewhat frustrated! (as I was).
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it as well with my 720, but deleted them and just replaced them with pocketsgps's version.

I suppose I could try them out, but think that maybe slightly over the top and as I've just got my 720 setup the way I want it, then I'll leave it alone. Smile
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....."I've just got my 720 setup the way I want it, then I'll leave it alone"

Damn right! If it aint broke etc........
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at some of the other posts, it seems that the TT-supplied cameras installed on the unit when you buy an x20 model, work fine until you update to the latest software, then they seem to disappear.
That's my understanding, but can anyone confirm?

Maybe the version for the OneXL has the same problem?
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, as per my initial post, thats exactly what happened, the cameras showed up when I bought it on Saturday, then TomTom HOME updated the unit to V7 and they disappeared. TomTom support confirmed they don't work with the latest version. That's why I suggested they might like to tell their customers!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advertising for the PGPSW camera database!! Laughing
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and bad publicity for TomTom. In fact I sent the proof of purchase through at 9:30 this morning and so far no updates received....watch this space!
batesy808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Same problem - safety cameras have disappeared Reply with quote

As with the original poster of this message - I had working safety cameras last week when I bought the TOMTOM XL Europe. But when TOMTOM home updated itself and then updated the TOMTOM the cameras stopped working - and when I go to re-enable them it asks me to pay money for a subscription. Am waiting on a reply from TOMTOM customer services. Watch this space.
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batesy, go back and tell em what they told me, which is that now its V7 their own camera files aren't compatible and they need to enable the download in your HOME account.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I introduce you guys and gals to a fantasy world.....

TomTom produce a fabulous new model, but realise their latest software update cripples part of the functionality.
"Oh dear", they say, "we'd better burn the midnight oil sorting this problem out. Meanwhile we'll take the update off our servers and put a big sign up on the support part of our website, telling people what is going on, so they don't waste their time trying to work out why it isn't working."

Sorry, I drifted off into Cloud Cuckoo Land for a moment then, but is that TOO much to ask?
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud!!!

And here's my nightmare, I dreamt that a famous sat nav company produced a fabulous new model, but DIDN'T realise their latest software update crippled a major part of the functionality. When informed by a customer of this monumental f*ck up, "Oh dear", they say, oh well we'll do absolutely nothing and wait to see if anyone complains, and when they do....we'll still do absolutely nothing, sod the customers what do they matter?

Oh sorry I thought I was asleep, damn its actually happened!

Being Serious for a moment, I work in the IT industry for a famous company (with a name that sounds like we make brown sauce!) and am shocked that a massive 'professional' (?) company such as TomTom can do something like this and arrogantly dismiss it as hardly worth worrying about. TomTom need to understand that its actions and attitudes like this that make us customers look to other makers (hmm, that Garmin 250W looks nice and thin and has traffic cameras pre-installed that ACTUALLY work!! ..even after a software update!!)

Rant over.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Copy rant to TomTom...
2. Await fatuous "cut and paste"reply
3. feel even more annoyed
Evil or Very Mad
cliveports
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update.....

Just got an email from TT customer Support, I went onto HOME and they have now put the Safety Cameras on my account for me, I downloaded them and they now show up, so a big BOUQUET for TT CS!!!

However,

I've just checked the support section of their website (you know the one that in their pre-recorded message when you're hanging on the phone for ages for a real person says "For all your answers check www.tomtom etc etc )....

and no surprise that they say nothing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: