Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Road Angel 9000 unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Road Angel 9000 unit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the cameras being updated live every 2 mins. However the main reason im buying it for is navigation so want to make sure this is good.
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well i could not wait so i have just purchased online, should be able to do some testing late this week and early next week so i let you know what it is like.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Road Angel 9000 Reply with quote

Look forward to your views - I was considering one, and they promised to post a video of it as a demo on their website. It hasn't happened, so I haven't bought

Let us know how you get on with it!
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Nav 6000 & it was complete junk. The software was useless, & the screens kept packing up or would activate any function apart from the one you touched!!! I threw it away, but am still paying for the monthly subs which you have to sign up for a year.
Bought the Garmin 660 with free updates from this site. Excellent bit of kit.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Navigator 9000 Reply with quote

The Nuvi is fine and will get you there. It's simple to use. But it's poor notification of up coming turns, badly timed voice prompts and insistance of taking me down country lane after country lane ended my time with mine (at least until they bring out revised routing and an improved visual warning for next turn)

The Navigation 9000 (and I've no experience of this or the 6000 / 7000) has significantly re-designed software. From what I understand both in terms of user presentation and routing algorythms

We have to try these other units because nothing out there yet is near to perfection!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to take delivery of the review unit tomorrow so will update this thread as I road test it before the full review is completed.
RoadAngel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I am not aware of any promise of a Nav 9000 video on our website. This possibly could be one of our online re-sellers promising this, however there are no plans to put a demo/video on the Road Angel Group website going forwards.

We do have a campaign site for the 9000 which can be found here:

http://www.roadangelgroup.com/products/navigator9000/promo.html

Neil Kuiper
Marketing Manager
Road Angel Group Ltd
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roadangel maybe you can help me.

I received my Road Angel Navigator 9000 today and thought I give it a try on a short trip. It will take a little getting used to the directions that it gives, as when you on a dual carriage way it says keep left. It does not say turn left etc, this could be confusing as on my old satellite navigations it used to say keep right to make sure you stay on the road and turn left so you come off it.

The registration was very easy and quick. You need to have a GPS reception and a mobile phone reception in order to activate the device. You go to the website provided, enter your details and select the subscription you require, you enter your serial number and direct debit details and as soon as you hit submit you receive a text message. Once you receive this you just rest the device and it now begins the updates of cameras and traffic updates that take about a minute.

I have had to log a support call as I was disappointed with the navigation for several reasons and wonder if I have out of date maps on the device. The mapping data I have is as follows: - software. V4.1012785 I believe this is teleatlas 2007 . 1

I was going down the A2 heading towards Greenwich and on the Dual Carriage way it asked me to turn right which of course is impossible. It then wanted me to turn off well before I had to, however once I got pass that turn off it took me to the correct place.

I then programmed it to take me home, and it tried to take me through a bus only route that has been there for over 3 years and when I did have to redirect it lost its location.

Also on the way home it wanted to go a weird way which would have been an extra mile to the journey which was heading away from my house.

When you go off route it does not like recalculating new routes straight away it asks you to do quite a few u turns etc.

However it was only day one and I was just testing it in the local area. However it be interesting to see the response I get. I logged a ticket Posted On: 11 Sep 2007 03:37 PM and I am still awaiting a response.

However it did pick up every Gatso along the route and warned of a few laser gun areas which I was unaware off. Is there anyway to check if these sites do exist as I have not seen anyone in these locations before.

I think it needs a lot more testing but I would like to see other people views and opinions. As I test more I will post more. If anyone has any questions I will try and answer them.
mrdc19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my eye on a Road Angel 9000 but have held back as there seems to be no independent reviews on this unit anywhere.

My wishlist is a top notch camera detector along with TMC and of course good navigation.

For the TMC and speed cameras does it need to go through a mobile?

Soz, I only have a Talex camera detector at the moment so am not overly well informed.
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to your question it comes with a built in sim card on the Orange network. You need to pay £5 a month for the traffic updates and the auto updates of the speed cameras every 2 minutes. You can also pay a bit extra so you can track a vehicle, you do get one free month of using this software. I have tried it and it does work. It could be cheaper to buy a year subscription rather then pay monthly.

Response received from Road Angel.

I have just received a response via phone from Road Angel who have been very helpful in trying to understand the mapping issue I have.

I’m going to be trying the same routes again on Sunday to see if this occurs again. They have asked me to send some screen shots of google earth map which will not be a problem to see if they can see if there’s an issue with road mapping.

However I have only tried this over a small area and should be doing a lot of driving over the weekend so will be able to put it through its paces.

However it has picked up every single camera so far and the potential areas where it said there could be a laser gun have also been correct. You can find the laser locations here for the London area.

http://www.lscp.org.uk/en/fe/page.asp?n1=11&n2=38&n3=53

It be interesting to see how the others get on with the device when testing. I think it be worth while testing going in the wrong direction to see if it calculates a new route quick enough.

The Navigation unit is using the latest Tele Atlas mapping alongside Gate 5 for routing.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILLWALLFC wrote:
In response to your question it comes with a built in sim card on the Orange network. You need to pay £5 a month for the traffic updates and the auto updates of the speed cameras every 2 minutes. You can also pay a bit extra so you can track a vehicle, you do get one free month of using this software. I have tried it and it does work. It could be cheaper to buy a year subscription rather then pay monthly.

You don't have any choice, although you pay £5.99 monthly by Direct debit the minimum contract term is 12mths, that's £70 a year.

It's early days and I'll be giving the unit a thorough workout over the next week but I have already observed some good and bad points.

Good:
Smile Nice positive windscreen mount containing amplified speaker
Smile Road Angel's warning system has been well integrated
Smile The built-in GSM Data Connection is a superb idea, automatic updates, instant mobile warnings, etc.

Bad
Sad Expensive for the functionality £429 for unit with £5.99 per month for a minimum 1 year contract = £71.88 for the camera subscription
Sad Very slow to acquire satellites and lacks sensitivity
Sad The case is a little bulky
Sad Smart2Go (the navigation engine) isn't as good as the competition

The slow lock and poor sensitivity is a surprise as this unit uses a SiRFIII Chipset but it may just be poor design of the case and placing of the internal antenna or interference from the GSM radio.

So initial impressions are a great idea that does not quite live up to expectations.
mrdc19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was chatting to somebody yesterday at Navnow who told me a new Snooper with TMC was coming out at the end of October so I might just wait until then before deciding what to buy.

Does anybody know anything about this new Snooper?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Video of Road Angel Reply with quote

Actually RoadAngel is was from the Customer Support Team at Road Angel Group Ltd ...

Ticket DetailsTicket ID: RFK-565780 Department: General Enquiries
Created On: 25 Jul 2007 07:11 AM Last Update: 27 Jul 2007 02:07 PM

Conversation

Andy Hill

Posted On: 25 Jul 2007 07:11 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I am considering upgrading my current Sat Navs (I have Navman n40i, Navigon Pocket Loox n100 and a Garmin Nuvi 300) because a) I visit lots of relatively new housing estates in my job so the more upto date the better (hence my collection of sat navs) and b) i like gadgets!

Anyway, I like the speed camera feature of your Navigator 9000, but this is not the be all and end all

My favourite feature is the building outlines, as this will make house location even easier

What I need to know is
a) can you enter a house number after a postcode
b) does your unit (or will it shortly) provide lane information on complex junctions (like Navigon)
and
c) can you provide a simple video clip of the navigation in action for a few mins

As you will appreciate, the price point of the Navigator 9000 is above that of almost all competiing units, and I am not adverse to paying this price, but would just like to evalulate its features to make sure I am doing the right thing

Appreciate your help on this one!

Andy
c)

Road Angel Support Administrator

Posted On: 27 Jul 2007 02:07 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Andy,

In answer to your questions:

A) Yes you can enter a house number, however you have to enter the Street / Road name also, you cannot just enter the Postcode and House Number
B) At present, this is not the case. However, there should be an update to the software in the next 6 months which will give this feature.
C) We should have something on the website shortly.

Regards
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Video of Road Angel Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
My favourite feature is the building outlines, as this will make house location even easier

Just to be clear here, the building outlines are only present in a few urban city areas, they are not available everywhere. TomTom has the same data in their v7 product and it is IMHO of limited real benefit, just eye candy.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: xtraseller Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, but I find this feature useful sometimes when relating houses to google earth maps, etc.

Do you know if its available on the new Navman S-90 unit, which has more up to date mapping from Teleatlas 2007.4 ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: