Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One V2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatboyjt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: TomTom One V2 Reply with quote

I received my TomTom one v2 for a birthday present (thats gonna cost me when the wifes birthday comes up Confused ).

After the usual method of testng employed by us chaps (ie just keep pressing buttons till you suss out the general workings of it :D ) it turns out to be easy to operate and plan routes etc. Have installed the speed camera databases (which was a breeze) also purchased the French map and installed that (also easy, but required a bigger SD card)

I am very impressed with the unit in both operation and styling, being much smaller than the previous TomTom one and makes it easier to just slip into the jacket pocket on leaving the vehicle, rather than trying to stash it somewhere in the car.

I compared my tomtom to my friends sat nav unit (RAC one), the tomtom out performs that unit, with better notification on POI's, ie distance and different sounds, its is smaller and lighter than that unit, easier to update etc, but where the tomtom is let down is with the followng points.

1. Mount for window screen, mine keeps falling off. (the RAC one comes with a varialble ajusting arm which has a good suction mount, once attached, even when lever is released you still need to put a finger nail under the edge to break suction, I just whistle and mine pops off the window)
2. Stylus RAC unit also comes with a stylus and a place built into the case to accept the stylus when not in use. I had to steal one from my daughters nintendo DS and keep it in my pocket, other wise its a pain when typing on the little keypad on screen (with my fingers anyway, we are not all equipped with dainty little nose pickers, some of us have large fingers and have to resort to typing with our little finger) and the stylus makes it much easier

Apart from the 2 little niggles (or me being fussy Laughing Laughing ) the unit is excellent and performs very well. Route re-calculation on the fly is very good, so if you take the wrong turn it re-calculates quickly (and doesnt always ask you to turn around as soon as possible). POI warnings are excellent. Inbuilt POI listing seem quite comprehensive, although if planning holidays etc, I create my own POI list using POI edit and then select from that POI catagory, (quicker than typing in postcode etc of place you want to visit, or having to have loads of POIs from different catagorys showing on map all the time)

Thanks

John aka fatboyjt
rufford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought the tomtom new edition, my first satnav. I have resisted buying one because i dont travel to many destinations unknown to me and I did not think I could justify the cost for a gadget that would attract theives.
My main reason for buying was for the speed camera warnings having 2 30 mph fixed penalties in 2 months. The pocketgps camera database i downloaded is great and it is worth buying a satnav for this alone . If I had bought the tomtom 3 months ago I would have saved £145 in fines.

The tomtom one new edition appears to be a high quality unit, easy to use and is one of the most compact.
The amount of technology and features that the tomtom one has is amazing for under £160 on the web. I would advise anyone who drives to go out and buy one rather than be caught in one of the 10000 speed cameras!
Robert
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won one of these sat navs in a competition and I am over the moon with it.
The one gripe I have with it is the Tomtom customer support , not good at all, so as long as you can sus out all the stuff that you can do with the device and it never crashes or breaks down then it is a great little device
kaapstad82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Tomtom one v2 UK/ROI Reply with quote

This is my 4th sat nav in over 4 years ,it blows all others clean out the water ,from Gizmondo/Windows PPC6/NOKIA N73 to THIS what a pleasure for me to use ,as a service engineer with 15+ destinations p/day to find in/out of town ,THIS IS THE NO1
SayCheese
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: niggles... Reply with quote

Got mine 10 days ago and it performs superbly except for some niggles ...

The map did not know the new stretch of A1 Motorway in Yorkshire that has been opened for around two years. How out of date is that?

The built-in POIs are pathetic - nowhere like as good as my old i3. I asked for "parks" in the Lake District and the nearest suggestion was in London! Asking it for a resturant got a Little Chef 45 miles away.

Of course, I have downloaded new POIs but they don't come up with the shortcut buttons on the main POI menu. For example, pressing hotels brings up the rubbish TT list rather than the comprehensive PocketGPS list.

I dare say some fettling will make it almost perfect.

Cheers.
JulianH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: TomTom ONE Security Reply with quote

Having just had my original TT ONE stolen, have just bought a v2 (even though it says v4!). Unit works great but there are a number of gripes, some of which have already been posted:

1) The new windscreen mount is nowhere near as good as the v1 type.
2) It still gives the same false alarms on the speed camera database.
3) the new power connector is not compatable with the old version plug.
4) When setting up you still have to use a PC to set the password, this should be part of the unit set up and should reuire at least 8 digit passwords with full alpha numeric not just numeric passwords required.

My stolen unit had its password set so it probably was dumped as it takes time to crack even 4 digits. But WHY isn't it a mandatory setting and WHY do you need to use a PC to set it the first time???? Subsequent password changes are unit settings but not the first.

I have also noticed that the maps, even with updates, are still not showing road changes that occured 2 or more years back. Isn't nit about time these were corrected and free updates for those of us with units under 12 moths old (warranty length) were supplied. Asking a bit much I suppose.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom ONE Security Reply with quote

JulianH wrote:
Having just had my original TT ONE stolen, have just bought a v2 (even though it says v4!). Unit works great but there are a number of gripes, some of which have already been posted:

2) It still gives the same false alarms on the speed camera database.

Whose database, TomTom's or ours?
Quote:
My stolen unit had its password set so it probably was dumped as it takes time to crack even 4 digits. But WHY isn't it a mandatory setting and WHY do you need to use a PC to set it the first time???? Subsequent password changes are unit settings but not the first.

The Password may thwart the casual thief but it's a very simple process to defeat. It's really not worth bothering with. The only good advice is never to leave it in the vehicle.
Quote:
I have also noticed that the maps, even with updates, are still not showing road changes that occured 2 or more years back. Isn't nit about time these were corrected and free updates for those of us with units under 12 moths old (warranty length) were supplied. Asking a bit much I suppose.

You don't say which map yours has but TomTom now offer a map guarantee on new v7 units and will give you a free map update if a later map is available within a set time of your purchase.
JulianH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is with the Pocket GPS World database, try a route from B3 1AP to B72 1YJ. TT still gives erronious 20mph GATSO and Redlight warnings. Neither of these is even on the map when signalled. The redlight warning comes from traffic lights on the A34 when approaching the A38M, there are no redlight camera's on the Aston Expressway or its approach from Queensway tunnels, the same with the Gatso that is in the city centre nowhere near the A38 which is a 40mph limit anyway.

The map version quoted on TomTom is: "United_Kingdom_and_ Republic_of_Ireland" v675.1409.

Would it be possible to use the encryption software I use on my memory stick, True Crypt? This is available in Linux form but, of course, you need to know the version of Linux TT use. This would be almost impossible to override as the data would not be visible until True Crypt was running.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JulianH wrote:
The problem is with the Pocket GPS World database, try a route from B3 1AP to B72 1YJ. TT still gives erronious 20mph GATSO and Redlight warnings. Neither of these is even on the map when signalled. The redlight warning comes from traffic lights on the A34 when approaching the A38M, there are no redlight camera's on the Aston Expressway or its approach from Queensway tunnels, the same with the Gatso that is in the city centre nowhere near the A38 which is a 40mph limit anyway.

I can see the warnings but not being familiar with the area I'm having trouble working out what's triggering them. There are redlight cameras in the area but not on the route, it could be that it is these that you are being alerted to as the detection looks for cameras ahead of you in an arc and so can include cameras to the left and right of your route, Redlight:9619 is one example.
JulianH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Quote:
I can see the warnings but not being familiar with the area I'm having trouble working out what's triggering them. There are redlight cameras in the area but not on the route, it could be that it is these that you are being alerted to as the detection looks for cameras ahead of you in an arc and so can include cameras to the left and right of your route, Redlight:9619 is one example.

Neither can I, and I work in Birmingham city centre. I have these POI's set to warn if POI is on route' so they shouldn't be picked up as they are totally off-route. It also picks up some cameras on the other side of dual-carriageways but, oddly, not all. If this happens it always affects that particular camera. This didn't happen at first but started with an upgrade on my old ONE and it still happens with the new version, so it looks like a software glitch. For info warning distances set are: 20 mph Gatso 147yds; Redlight 293yds.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd indded, MaFt our Database Admin is in Berlin covering an electronics show for us at the moment but I've made a note and will liaise with him to investigate when he gets back.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: