Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - It's Official: Garmin are Slightly Better than TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

It's Official: Garmin are Slightly Better than TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Out of the worldwide top 5, who gets your vote?
Garmin
42%
 42%  [ 41 ]
TomTom
48%
 48%  [ 47 ]
Mio
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Magellan
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Navman
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 97

StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Best Sellers Reply with quote

I don't think it's any co-incidence that the two biggest sellers are units you can change and add stuff too. Any electronic device over the years has value added when you can do more with it, therefore it sells. If I had a pound for everytime someones asks me for a voice for the other units I would be on a caribbean island getting blown over right now.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but the point is that just because Garmin have sold a few more units than TomTom, it doesn't automatically mean that Garmin units are better than TomTom as the heading of this thread would indicate ("It's Official: Garmin are Slightly Better than TomTom")
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you I have both units and I like both for different reasons. Navman could be so much better in terms of add ons., I don't have much experience of the other units.
T5Dave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had lots of experience with both of the units (and others) for a number of years now, I'd say that the quality of garmin units just isn't there as of yet.

There are too many mapping errors, the new units (200/250/200w/250w) are flaky and not as bomb-proof as older units (sp310, sp510, sp550) and the software, if you're used to tomtom that is - is archaic at best.

The reason garmin have slightly overtaken tomtom is (imo) due to the massive massive discounts they are giving to retailers. Just because a unit retails at 200 quid, doesn't mean the retailer isn't making about 40% on that, retailers don't make much money on tomtom units, they are more expensive to buy. If there is a significant markup on a cheaper unit, then of course the retailer is going to get behind that product and push it for all it's worth.

Personally, I use tomtom - and that is where my vote goes. I've got a Go 700 and a Go 720, and i'm perfectly happy with both. Imo TT have pulled a decent trick with Mapshare, and I think that is why the "slightly better" comment is a momentary blip.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5Dave, although i own a Garmin and am happy with it, i bought it for what i thought was the best, after reading comments on this site with TomTom and all the details around Mapshare, i did wonder how different the TomTom was against the Garmin.

It's good to hear from users of both, so that us novices without experience of other types, can gain info for any future purchase.

As well as TMC which none of the Sat Nav's seemed to have sorted out, i feel that how the maps are devised and how road alterations and faults can be rectified is no 1 on the priority list, the maps on my Garmin are far from helpful on country routes, i am often inclined to use it on the final part of the journey only.

As with all survey figures i am always cynical and know that the end result isn't always a true reading of "actual" whether it is "official" or not.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-Tom 6 software

But only because thats what i use on my PDA every day, have helped friends with other make of devices but it easier to deal with what your familiar with and i find tom-tom easy to use.

I like the all in one Tom-Tom's but don't want to carry lots of gadgets around aswell so the PDA fits my needs.Diary, notes, to-do list and e-mail etc

don't know what way i would go if i starting from scratch today to much choice me thinks. Been using tom-tom since tt3 first appeared.

Wiz Wink
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used Magellan.

Garmin- Excellent customer support, Nuvi(200/300) is small enough to fit in your pocket. Bad points:- The map lag. Voice announcements can be too early(becomes a problem with turnings close together). No indication on the main screen of the next turn(i'd rather have an arrow/roundabout symbol instead of the compass).
Navman- N20(will apply to N40, N60 aswell), Good except not loud enough. Voice announcements well timed. Some of the features are good but too fiddly to use in anger. ST2006 computer Software slow.
Mio(iGo)- Great for people who like to tweak the software. Not as intuitive as Garmin/Tomtom but you get use to it. Good map display particularly the zoom/overview feature at junctions(Garmin take note!!). POI's are shown on the maps but can be difficult to search for(having to search for Oxford Argos instead of just Argos for example). Mio support is not great and updating the unit software seems to be a major headache.
Tomtom- Difficult to fault, bit big for your pocket, let down by mapping(can only blame themselves now they've bought it!!) and customer support. Been in shops 3 times with people returning Tomtoms 'cos they have failed.

I don't think any of them are bad units, they all have their good and bad points, but my vote goes to Garmin because of customer support, navteq maps and reasonably priced map updates.

If i were buying tomorrow I think i'd get the Tomtom 720 because of the mapshare feature and just hope it didn't break!!
T5Dave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF: I don't only use sat nav's, I sell them too.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5Dave wrote:
GJF: I don't only use sat nav's, I sell them too.

OK, but it still gives you the experience of using several types of Sat Nav which i don't have, as you sell them you have more info to offer.

Originally i looked for build quality, slimline unit and "extra's" (as other posts on this forum seem to be asking) where i now see accurate mapping/routing, as the number one reason for the purchase.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it the voting supposed to be about? Range of products, quality of products, customer service, or something else?

I did not vote, but amongst others I currently use hardware products from Garmin and Navman, and software from Tomtom.
zzf00l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no intention of voting!! It's a stupid survey
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have waited so much time for TomTom to lower its prices, that then I got fed up and bought a Nuvi... Laughing

BTW, about the sales, from the Canalsys poll it seems that Garmin SURPASSED TomTom... Shocked

Last edited by smiley1081 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
...but the point is that just because Garmin have sold a few more units than TomTom, it doesn't automatically mean that Garmin units are better than TomTom as the heading of this thread would indicate ("It's Official: Garmin are Slightly Better than TomTom")

Well, from what I read the TomTom routing is worse the the routing of a Garmin, and also the ETA is not credible on a TomTom (on my Nuvi, after it learned my driving style, unless I encouter traffic, the ETA it computes at the start of a trip is never more than 1 or 2 minute off from the real TA...)
Bennysdad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you split your vote? For ease of use and overall function it has to be Tomtom but for customer service they are three floors below the bottom of the pile if bikers experience with the first TT rider is anything to go by. A cradle that was clearly not fit for purpose yet TT denied there was any fault right up to the time they came out with a new model. Why no product recall and why no compensation for customers with the old useless cradle.

Ask why Halfords will no longer stock the TT rider!
springermad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Garmin and haven't yet tried their after sales service/ customer relations. However I would rate Tomtom's after sales service/customer relations zero out of ten, I found it appalling, especially regarding their RDS-TMC unit that doesn't work, and I think non of them have ever worked in the UK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: