Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - To buy ...or not!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

To buy ...or not!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: To buy ...or not! Reply with quote

OK I have downloaded the demo of Anquet's new PPC compatible software but it would appear to be light on features. It could be just the demo version has features disabled though. (Review required (hint))

So far I have learnt that 1600 sq km of 1:50,000 mapping (approximately one Landranger map) takes about 17Mb of storage space.
The Gazetteer needs about 7Mb.

PPC displays seamless zoom-able maps. You can download your chosen map areas. Download Routes and Route texts to combine with maps on the Pocket PC. Download the Gazetteer of over 250,000 places and search for them. Show your position with “LiveTrack” using any GPS unit (NMEA compatible) Input map coordinates and go to selected location. Display map coordinates at any location by touching the screen.

It would seem that you can't change the grid coordinates (but you can on the PC). You can't tap a waypoint for details such as height, location or bearings to next waypoint. You can't view the path profile. You can't display full route information (but you can on the PC) There appears to be no way of adding notes to the route.

I am teetering on the brink of purchasing but at the moment it would appear that Memory Map has more functionality.

Anyone already using these maps on a PPC please post your views. Thumbs Up
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi y'all

I reckon I am much in the same situation

Downloaded Memory Map and Anquet demos

Reasons to be cheerful?
Both are pretty good in demo with region rather than full map.
(On PC with full map timings?)

What won it over for me was the extra support on Anquet's website

I can choose mild hikes all the way through to Mountain trek and a list route/trek/path appears. This is cool, tres, tres cool.

Maybe in a while there will be a trekkers Forum - here is an electronic path from A to B passing through C.

I like the way it is going so I spent spondoolies on Anquet.

I have not tried it on the PPC but when I do I will share my views :-)

I have an Anquet wishlist already - X,Y,Z co-ords to appear over floating pointer as well as in status bar. I think it may help in planning paths (well, actually, I know it does ... )

(Anquet - I hope u r listening!)
To be fair though I am very impressed with both - if this is the way the world is going well - bring it on ... let's do it

A BBB Happy
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOpps

If Anquet or MM get it right I feel this will be an excellent platform for 21st C

Imagine life without email?

Well with either of these programs (provided one or t'other or both used a greedy algorithmic marketing strategy (see me later)) I could email my trekking buddies not just with details but proposed paths and treks as well

Share the vision (C)

BBB Happy Birthday!
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops - a pps!

Apparently upgrade to Anqet OS 2004 from previous version is free by online download.

Is this a question of : Eat ur heart out MM?

Joker
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely one of the things I was thinking about some time ago was starting a collection of walk routes etc. The only problem is the amount of time and effort required to catalog and publish these.

I would dearly love to get out in the open and try some out, but I am stuck behind a keyboard slaving away trying to sort out the site and reviews etc.

My fav UK places for strolling are the Lake District and the Brecon Beacons. A touch of controversy here as my all time fav places are Yosemite, Yellowstone and Arches (so far). No I really love the area between the Langdale Valley, Grassmere, WastWater, and Seathwaite.

Oh SOD IT!!! I love them all. Is there someone out there with loads of money who want to sponsor my collection and recording of hiking routes around the World?

I reckon it would be great to start a library of topo routes for different apps and different areas of the world. I suppose that some apps would be limited by the coverage of maps, but anything is better than nothing.

We could start with Anquet, MM and Fugawi UK and then extend it as people provide treking routes.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - if I manage to get my GPS in time I will gladly upload details. At the mo' it is a bit of a nail biter though.

I am chasing a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and they seem as scarce as haggis in the plains.

(haggis traditionally have legs longer on one side of the body than the other hence clockwise or anti-clockwise haggii)

If the tracklogs look reasonable I will somehow send 'em in.

I just popped a 16MB map section to the PPC with 6 or 7 routes on.

As expected, paper map preferereres will be taking paper maps on our wee hike. If all else fails I guess I will just have to play a DVD through the widescreen laptop.

Have a good Sunday all!

the bagal has landed
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using Fugawi but neither the PC nor the PPC software is good- in my view - so I am thinking of buying the Anquet or MM offerings. My current feeling is that I would prefer to buy Anquet because I like the way they appear to support their products and while I accept that MM are probably ahead of them , particularly on the PPC , I can live with that believing that they will develop the software , which clearly Fugawi are not going to do.

I would like to hear though from anyone who has the Anquet PPC offering just how complete it is at this point in time.

1. I take as a given that the map 'walks' with me.
2. Does the gazeteer get transferrred into the PPC?
3. If so presumably one can search for a place name and locate it on the map?
4. Does the gazeteer reflect all UK place names or just the ones from the purchased region?
5. Can I lay waypoints on the PPC map whilst walking?
6. Can I transfer tracks and waypoints to and from the PPC?

Any other input would be welcome.

Roy
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have anquet but as yet i have not fully trialled it. but I can answer your questions:

1. I take as a given that the map 'walks' with me.
Yes it does. Your position is always at the centre of the screen.
2. Does the gazeteer get transferrred into the PPC?
Yes if you want... you will need 7MB of storage space free.
3. If so presumably one can search for a place name and locate it on the map?
Yes... or you can specify an OS grid reference. If that part of the map is installed it will be centred in the screen
4. Does the gazeteer reflect all UK place names or just the ones from the purchased region?
It has ALL GB regions as each product contains complete GB coverage at 1:250,000 scale
5. Can I lay waypoints on the PPC map whilst walking?
NO... this functionality is not available but I would like to see this added
6. Can I transfer tracks and waypoints to and from the PPC?
You can transfer tracks, routes and waypoints (and route description) to the PPC but not back.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Icsys. That is what I wanted to hear.

It's a shame about the inability to lay waypoints but I am sure that Anquet will add this later because they seem to have a good attitude towards improving their product - unlike Fugawi.

Roy
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spoken to Graham at Anquet via e-mail, I am of the opinion that there will be more functionality added in later releases.

Use the 'Wish list' to add your suggestions for the benefit of other Anquet users here. (They do read these forums Thumbs Up ) Also you can e-mail Anquet as they prefer suggestions to come via their normal support channels – so either via the website or via email.

Enjoy
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icsys,

thanks for the post, it is a good point as you say to post through to Anquet direct too. I have just sent an email with a query that I have, and added a couple of "wishes" So lets see what happens.

Cheers

Sparky
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since recieved a reply from the people at Anquet to my questions. They seem spot on when as far as listening to their customers. Very Friendly!!

Hopefully our requests will turn to reality!!!!

Cheers

Sparky
Paul1ft
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the features on the Anquet software are great and think sharing routes will be a good benefit. However at present I can not get my GPS working with my PPC - as several of you seem to have got this feature working do you have any ideas how I should set this up? The PPC stops whilst showing the message "Communicating with GPS"when trying to use the live tracking feature.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

I have Livetrack working with my Axim BUT there is a known bug which is that if you turn the PPC off , or possibly switch to a second App, and then return to Anquet, it does not pick up the GPS signal correctly , you need to go via the menu to turn Livetrack off then on again.
The problem may be affecting other things too so try that first- else email Anquet

Roy
dazednotconfused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: 4 x 4 driving on green lanes Reply with quote

I'm using an ipaq hx4700 with Tomtom 3.07 and a wired GPS. The Tomtom software has only a limited number of "green lanes" and I've been looking at memorymap software.... I'd like to be able to plan a route through the Derbyshire Peak district avoiding tarmac wherever possible....

If I install either MM, Fugawi or Anquet software, plan a route, then transfer it to my PocketPC, will the wired GPS work out it's location on the downloaded maps? And if a planned route / road isn't accessible; ie; gate locked, then can I make a note of the route change for synchronisation with the PC

(I'm a regular on www.l200.org.uk a great site for Mitsubishi L200 owners and there's quite a few people in there interested in 'legal' green laning, ie; public rights of way, old roads with a bit of mud etc...We have events where mud is highly sought after!!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Anquet All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: