Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 7, any news?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 7, any news?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just emailed Destinator Technologies again asking if they have a release date for Destinator 7 in the UK and received the following reply...

"You have a question concerning the release of Destinator 7

Sorry sir, the date of release has been postponed again.
The next month it should come out, or in the beggining of Oktober."

So a few more days yet!

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Destinator Europe website now shows Destinator 7 rather than Destinator 6. Also a company in Germany show a release date of 29 October.

TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Germany D7 is shipping since Oct 26th.
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easydevices have it in the UK - but at a price in a number of pounds very similar to the price in Euros in Germany. Hence I am ordering from danotec.de instead... A lot cheaper.

Note you can 'upgrade' from any other software (e.g. Tomtom)!

Andy
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price of the upgrade to Destinator 7 from Germany is EUR 99.00. The cost of delivery to the UK is around EUR 20.00. Add those together and convert to £s and the price is around £85.00

The price of the upgrade from Easydevices is £76.36 plus postage.

ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the TrafficSAM price - I wouldn't buy destinator if I didn't have TMC - there are better alternatives available.

Andy
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone bought this release yet? I have as an upgrade to Destinator 6 and have found an appalling number of errors. I cant believe they are all unique to me ....
I will post a copy of my long and detailed letter of complaint to Destinator / Power Loc or whomever it is as soon as i have catalogued all the faults. I will be demanding a full refund of the upgrade price.
Please can anyone confirm if they have used this release of Destinator 7 ?
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought it - so far no great problems. Be interested to see you list...

Andy
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my list of Destinator 7 issues using ASUS A636 PDA and Console on Windows XP.

1. There is no map scale display, whereas there was on previous versions. There is no option to turn it on or off.

2. TTS does not work – neither street name or road number announcement.

3. When uploading POI data via the Console, Destinator 6 would give “no data” error report if there was a fault with the csv file resulting in no data converted. Destinator 7, even though uploading the same csv file as used in Destinator 6, gives a success report even though the new dat file has no data in it. If I copy the file previously converted under Destinator 6 onto the device manually it works fine.

4. There is no map cutting function on the Destinator Console.

5. Trying to upload a new map (UK-Ireland) from the Destinator 7 CD to the 2GB Sandisk SD Card via the Console which works perfectly under Destinator 6, I get repeated error “Selected Target is Unavailable”. It reads the card and reports correct available space, but after failing to upload it reports an incorrect available space and hangs the Console.

6. Having manually unzipped and copied the UK_Ireland map onto the device, I found the map is too big for the application to use without cutting – it wont redraw quickly enough and the route display cannot update fast enough when driving around town.

7. The Navigation and Info display bars on the PDA are supposed to be transparent (as per Destinator PN used to be and according to the marketing pics for Destinator 7) but are not – only the Settings Button is.

8. The Navigation Bar has been moved back to the bottom of the PDA screen – as per Destinator PN. There is no option to choose where this is sited – if they are going to change it to the top in Destinator 6 and then revert back to the bottom as per Destinator PN surely the answer is to let the user choose.

9. The PDA locks up completely after Destinator crashes with error: a problem has occurred with gwes.exe whereas previously in Destinator 6 I could simply restart the application. Now I have to soft reset the device every time it crashes – which is 75% of the time that the unit is switched back on if a route is loaded in memory.

10. It takes a long time to find the satellites after resetting the device. I have to go into Satellite set up and then it finds its position instantly, whereas in Destinator 6 this was not a big problem.

11. I cant turn tapping noise off when navigating menus from touch screen on the device.

12. It doesn’t show the name of the Favourite POI group when announcing an alert on proximity.

13. Destinator 7 is supposed to have a new ability to handle any number of POI groups. I loaded the 32 file Pocket GPS World SpeedCam database with associated bmp icons and the Device crashes every time I try and view the POI Favourites and hangs. I have to reset it, and only by deleting the files from the device can I access POI Favourites. This is before they are even marked as selected.
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my list of Destinator 7 issues using ASUS A636 PDA and Console on Windows XP.

1. There is no map scale display, whereas there was on previous versions. There is no option to turn it on or off.

Good point

2. TTS does not work – neither street name or road number announcement.

It works on mine. Check the 'Language' settings. Beneath the 'Select Voice Language' there is a check box for 'Say Voice names' if it isn't there, you need to install the TTS version of the voice file. This is in:

C: Program Files Destinator PC Portal DeviceS Device1 Common TTS EnglishUK_TTS.cab

Copy to the device and double click on it in PDA file explorer.

3. When uploading POI data via the Console, Destinator 6 would give “no data” error report if there was a fault with the csv file resulting in no data converted. Destinator 7, even though uploading the same csv file as used in Destinator 6, gives a success report even though the new dat file has no data in it. If I copy the file previously converted under Destinator 6 onto the device manually it works fine.

Use POIEdit (Tools-Batch convert) to convert CSV files to DAT files.

4. There is no map cutting function on the Destinator Console.

I believe this is a licensing issue with Navteq - that is why it is removed.

5. Trying to upload a new map (UK-Ireland) from the Destinator 7 CD to the 2GB Sandisk SD Card via the Console which works perfectly under Destinator 6, I get repeated error “Selected Target is Unavailable”. It reads the card and reports correct available space, but after failing to upload it reports an incorrect available space and hangs the Console.

I have to admit to not using the console like this - I always unzip directly to the SD card as it is a lot quicker and more reliable than via activesync.

6. Having manually unzipped and copied the UK_Ireland map onto the device, I found the map is too big for the application to use without cutting – it wont redraw quickly enough and the route display cannot update fast enough when driving around town.

Okay on mine - what else is running on your PDA - are you using the latest updates for the device?

7. The Navigation and Info display bars on the PDA are supposed to be transparent (as per Destinator PN used to be and according to the marketing pics for Destinator 7) but are not – only the Settings Button is.

This is a skin issue, but worth telling destinator about. I use a custom skin anyway as I have a VGA device.

8. The Navigation Bar has been moved back to the bottom of the PDA screen – as per Destinator PN. There is no option to choose where this is sited – if they are going to change it to the top in Destinator 6 and then revert back to the bottom as per Destinator PN surely the answer is to let the user choose.

This is a skin issue, but worth telling destinator about. I use a custom skin anyway as I have a VGA device.

9. The PDA locks up completely after Destinator crashes with error: a problem has occurred with gwes.exe whereas previously in Destinator 6 I could simply restart the application. Now I have to soft reset the device every time it crashes – which is 75% of the time that the unit is switched back on if a route is loaded in memory.

Never seen this issue - are you using WM2003SE - the GWES crash is a known problem with graphically intensive apps.

10. It takes a long time to find the satellites after resetting the device. I have to go into Satellite set up and then it finds its position instantly, whereas in Destinator 6 this was not a big problem.

Never seen this issue

11. I cant turn tapping noise off when navigating menus from touch screen on the device.

Delete the 'click.wav'

12. It doesn’t show the name of the Favourite POI group when announcing an alert on proximity.

I use POI observer as the poi warnings in most satnav programs are not exactly great.

13. Destinator 7 is supposed to have a new ability to handle any number of POI groups. I loaded the 32 file Pocket GPS World SpeedCam database with associated bmp icons and the Device crashes every time I try and view the POI Favourites and hangs. I have to reset it, and only by deleting the files from the device can I access POI Favourites. This is before they are even marked as selected.

Yep - I have had this prob too. I use the coalesced version (i.e. without specific speeds).

Hope this helps

Andy
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, and many thanks for your helpful replies.
These manual fixes should not need to be implemented on a full release of a software package!! - of course I do appreciate you providing the workarounds. Certain things like non-unlimited POI functionality, POI non warning, map uploading failures, POI data uploading failures, failure to install TTS, GUI changes and non existant map scale are blatant issues. The others are very poor software release management.

I am using no other applications with my PDA. I will check for latest updates - it runs on Windows Mobile 5.0 OS 5.1.195 (Build 14928.2.2.0) with 58.12 MB Memory.

As you can tell I am very disappointed with this software and have requested a full refund from Destinator Technologies. Evil or Very Mad I have been an avid supporter of them since Destinator PN thru D6, and have spent very many hours researching adapting and configuring each release to get the best out of it.
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is worth persevering. The TTS works quite well. For me, the key thing is UK TMC support, so it's either this, Route 66 (has its own foibles) or the upcoming Igo 8. I'm sure there will be a patch soon to address many of the issues. Unfortunately many software v1 releases are quite poor (this isn't specific to D7).

Andy
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am using no other applications with my PDA. I will check for latest updates - it runs on Windows Mobile 5.0 OS 5.1.195 (Build 14928.2.2.0) with 58.12 MB Memory.

I have been using Destinator 6 on on iPAQ 4700 for some time. My unit had 64Mb of toal memory and I found it would lock up the PDA if almost any error occurred.

I have had the memory in my 4700 upgraded to 128 Mb and Destinator 6 runs much much better with no lock ups. It also runs quite happily with other programs loaded as well. I will probably upgrade to Destinator 7 which I hope will run just as well. Mine is still running WM 2003.

ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hx4700 and an x51v. The hx4700 will run D7 just fine. I have upgraded my hx4700 to WM6 (an unofficial release). I have set the disk cache to 2048k and everything is great (and this is with 64mb!)

Andy
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the above the Skins selector on the device in Options; Settings; Look & Feel: does not work - although the skins files are present under Destinator\Skin\All only the "standard" skin is showing in the selector bar and the left / right arrows do not change the selection!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: