Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Importing favourites to MN6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing favourites to MN6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cozzykim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Importing favourites to MN6 Reply with quote

Come on fellas, surely someone has figured out how to import favourites from MN5 to MN6 ????

I managed it from Medion Navigator 4.3 to MN5 as the format appears to have been identical.

The new favorites.storage file is still readable if you change the extension temporarily to read it in notepad (i.e. it doesn't appear to be a new binary format) but MN6 just ignores the old favs file if I rename it ".storage" and generates a new, empty file Sad

I've spent nearly 3 yrs generating my favourites all over europe and scandinavia, some of the more useful ones are virtually impossible to re-enter without actually going back to where they were originally set.

After spending £100 on my "upgrade" do I have to go back to using my Medion PNA100 to access my favourites? :x

In fact, what am I actually getting for my 100quid (OK the europe maps), any "improvements" seem to be negligible and offset by the loss of favourites, unreadable mph readout, apparent shrinking of built in speed warning functionality etc. etc.

The licence is also unreasonably restrictive (in common with other MajorSoftware companies admittedly) in that, once the media is opened we won't refund you even if you don't like our only PARTIALLY FUNCTIONAL software that you paid GOOD money for in GOOD faith Exclamation Exclamation

In other words "Sold As Seen"? - Caveat Emptor
wabbitpoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one? Surely we all need this?! Somebody help us!
cozzykim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphh Mad

Navigon have replied to my persistent emails to say that importing favourites is "impossible" despite my comments that this makes the product very badly designed and NOT a good advert for Navigon

PATHETIC

Kim
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you are experiencing such frustrations; it does seem to be major failing with software in general, and some GPS systems in particular, that the user is expected to change all their previous work to a new format.
However, they usually provide a tool to assist, obviously something Navigon feel is not required.
I don't have the software myself (I was going to buy it but I think I may not bother now!) but I was wondering if the "recent destinations" format has changed as well as the "favorites".
If it hasn't, you may be able to import your favorites from MN|5 as recent destinations, and save them as favorites. Probably the quickest way would be to "show on map" and then save.

I do not know if this will work, and is a lot more tedious that just importing previously-set values, but it may help.

If not, SORRY!!!!
wabbitpoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the format of the recents file has also changed. I tried writing a prog to do the conversion but I can't decipher the new format. Pathetic software, pathetic company. I really regret paying to upgrade. Avoid it, and buy a TomTom! That's what I am gonna do next.
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it that the choice was that simple. I have found that Navigon is the only software which provides all the facilities I want from a satnav. Multi-point itineraries are a must, and SENSIBLE routing, and street-level cross-border routing. I also have a short list of "tricky" postcodes; so far only AVSat and Navigon can find them all.

I have been tempted by all the shiny new models from Garmin, TomTom et al, but have still to find one that does what I want.
I have to admit that I have not tried i-go, as some of the comments I have read in this forum lead me to believe that the POI handling needs some work. But it is on the list to be tested.

I have to admit to being a little disappointed that the satnav companies seem to be more interested in having MP3 players and photo viewers integrated in the units than actually providing software that gives the navigation facilities that users want.

(Rant over)

Laughing
wabbitpoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if anyone can get the new format out of them, I'll gladly finish the prog and give it away to anyone who wants it. I notice that in the new format each entry includes three grid references, all of them different! Dunno what the extra two are, which is where I suspect my prog is failing to produce readable entries.
cozzykim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbitpoo wrote:
Well if anyone can get the new format out of them, I'll gladly finish the prog and give it away to anyone who wants it. I notice that in the new format each entry includes three grid references, all of them different! Dunno what the extra two are, which is where I suspect my prog is failing to produce readable entries.

Doesn't seem likely - even getting a sympathetic reply to emails is nigh on impossible.

NOTE: Navigon, if you offer me a refund I'll gladly take it !!!!!!
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd join to a refund queue!!
wabbitpoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't think for a moment that they actually read this board, or any other user comments?
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that.
But I hope other peoples will.
wabbitpoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - hopefully they'll avoid the upgrade at all costs. I find it really buggy, too. Will buy into TomTom or similar soon, and in the mean time will put back version 5. Shite.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: