Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GPSMAP60C & 60CS officially announced!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPSMAP60C & 60CS officially announced!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP60C & 60CS officially announced! Reply with quote

Garmin have officially announced the release of the GPSMAP 60C and GPSMAP 60CS.

The GPSMAP® 60C and GPSMAP 60CS are new all-purpose units - packed with exciting new features and delivering the kind of color that consumers want in their handheld GPS’s. These lightweight, rugged, waterproof units raise the bar to offer a 256-color, highly reflective display that provides easy viewing in almost any lighting condition. This transreflective TFT technology provides excellent viewing while maximizing your battery life (30 hours, typical use).

Both the GPSMAP 60C and GPSMAP 60CS are packed with extra features, including rapid automatic route calculation, an integrated outdoor calendar, a dedicated geocaching mode, and indoor/outdoor GPS games that turn the outdoors into a giant gameboard.

For more information visit the following Garmin pages:-
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60c/
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/
Murphy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Garmin 60CS Reply with quote

How good are these units going to be ?

Will they be the best of the best for walking/hiking etc

Murphy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsure until we get them in to have a look at.
palmdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my GPSMAP60C yesterday from VIT ELECTRONICS 352-595-1950 in North Carolina.

I HAD an Emap with 128 MB card that was stolen and wanted a replacement. I purchased the Magellan Meridian Color, which I really did not like. Many reasons--no auto snap to road feature, unreadable display in daylight, horrible mounting system and car power cord connection, you can't upload routes from the PC, and you have to play around with file names to con the unit into accepting more than one map file. ugh. total disapointment. Took it back. Except now I am stuck with $149 software package. What a fool. anyway, that is all beside the point.

I LOVE the GPSMAP60C. It, of course, functions like the Emap, with many many improvements. The autorouting works great. I have been testing it out like crazy. The display is sharp as a tack and readable during the day or night. In fact, after the sunset, the unit automatically inverts the color scheme of the map from yellow with black road during the day to black land with white roads at night (this feature is disable-able if you donlt loke it). There are several user selectable color "themes" also.

The unit uses the same mounting system for handlebar mounting as my Emap did, which is nice, so I can still use that.

USB transfer direct to the unit saves the need for opening the unit, removing the batteries then the card, then hooking up the card reader, etc. Nice and slick. I wish you could add to the memory (I am used to having 128MB), but honestly 56Mb is enough.

The unit is more compact than I anticipated, and has a nice feel to it. The buttons light up and they have a nice rubbery feel and provide a solid soft click when pressed.

Many user-configurable settings, more than on the EMAP for sure, and much more user-freindly with the nice color icon interface.

I have used it outdoors hiking only sparingly, and have not played with the games or geocaching features at all.

What else can I tell you? They are going to sell a ton of these.
palmdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to add a few more things, now that I have had a chance to experiment some more.

This thing actually re-calculates if you go off-route more than about 0.2 miles. amazing.

When you are following a route, a little map of the turn pops up 30 seconds before the unit predicts that you will be at the turn. It does not matter which screen you are on. (you can disable this feature). The map is visible for about 2-3 seconds, just long enough for you to visualize the turn and start looking for it. The map also has a mini data screen that shows the time and distance to the turn.

This happens a second time at about 8 seconds before the turn, and this time the ETA and distance to the turn are highlighted in red.
Atomic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I love this GPS, there are a few problems:

1) The screen is vertical. It's okay when I'm holding it, but I'd like to mount it to my car. The GPS V could rotate, so hopefully Garmin will add that as a feature.

2) The data cable is USB. It's fast and it works with my laptop. However, Microsoft Streets & Trips and MapPoint can only detect SERIAL GPS devices.

Other than that, I love it so far. I've had it for about the last month.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmdale wrote:
This thing actually re-calculates if you go off-route more than about 0.2 miles. amazing.

How quickly does it calculate routes? Can you give an example of a 40 mile route through a built-up area (no motorways, lets say 15 turns).

I have this feature on my GPS-V but switched auto-recalculate off because it would take about 60 seconds to calculate a 40 mile route through London. Sometimes it would end up recalculating for about 5 minutes because you were heading in the wrong direction and it had to start again all the time.

Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: