Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MN6 Is it worth an upgrade yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MN6 Is it worth an upgrade yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cozzykim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: MN6 Is it worth an upgrade yet? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been succesfully running MN5 and POIWarner on a O2 XDA Orbit (which is an HTC P3300 Artemis) for a while.

I wanted the new "Ideal Route" option and to obtain a full europe map set so, (maybe foolishly?) ordered the £100 upgrade to MN6 complete with european maps from the Navigon site as the most cost effective option.
I've since read some of the reservations expressed on this forum.

Does anyone know what maps are Navigon currently supplying, are they still old ones as mentioned in another thread?

Is the "Ideal Route" option significantly better than the "Fast Route" / "Short Route" options?

BTW one of the major benefits of MN over any other nav software for me is the built in "Logbook" function which I use all the time to record my service visits to my customers, I don't know of any other nav software which can do this so I don't want to change to TT6 or Copilot etc.

MN5 currently runs smoothly on my 240MHz CPU, apart from the very slow startup time and the age it takes to enter the logbook date the map and voice instructions are NOT 100yds too late like MedionNav 4.3 used to be.

What do you think of MN6 compared with MN5?

Have the initial problems with MN6 been sorted or should I send it back for a refund UNOPENED ?

Regards

Kim
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon have just released a new Europe map which I believe is the brand new Navteq Q1 2007. I don't know of any other providers that offer this yet. If it is the new map then it may be worth keeping. If it's the older map (Q4 2005) then I would definately return it as it is well outdated. I can't really comment on the software because I have never really used it. Check out some reviews and they may help your decision. Wink
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

I am waiting for the (anyday) release of the new Navigon 7110 unit, and these I am told ship with Q4 2006 Navteq maps by some Customer Service / Q1 2007 by others - either way pretty much as up to date as which is available anywhere

The best route feature is just that. The best routing of any navigation unit I've come across

Hope that helps you make your decision - but check on that mapping data, and simply return for a replacement if it's out of date
cozzykim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: More advice needed Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

problem is, Navigon are NOT replying to my email questions about the map data and software version and won't accept the package for return if the DVD has been opened.

So, has anyone got a recent upgrade, what was supplied?

I have about a week to decide whether to return it UNOPENED or not

CK
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: version Reply with quote

Is there any indication on the box? Did it ship directly from Navigon and when? I would think if it was and recently, I would image its the latest

Navigon support and pretty good and responding to enquiries generally, buy I guess they are very busy with the new releases they have this month, it's best to email every day until you get a response, as someone will pick it up

If all else fails within your deadline for return, just send it back and re-order from their website with the latest version (6.5 / Q4 2006 / Q1 2007 mapping)
cozzykim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks again.

Update - got a reply from Navigon, the maps supplied are apparently Q4 2006, which is good enough for me to open the box and give it a go.

I also asked whether the U/G is V6.0 or V6.1 etc.
They still haven't really answered that one Sad

CK
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Q4 sounds good to me - better than with most currently available sat nav units, and the software can be updated online via the new Navigon FRESH desktop software (so can the maps, when updates become available)

Let us know how you get on with your updated system!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: