Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapopolis announce support for Smartphones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapopolis announce support for Smartphones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Mapopolis announce support for Smartphones Reply with quote

Mapopolis announced the beta release of Mapopolis Navigator for Windows Mobile Smartphone. This release uses the same map data as Mapopolis Navigator for Pocket PC.

Download Mapopolis for Windows Mobile Smartphone (beta) Installer here: http://64.208.105.215/MapopolisForSmartphone.CAB

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of caveats here. You need an application unlocked Smartphone to be able to install the .cab file and if you don't have an 'Explorer' application on your phone (many don't come with one bundled) then contrary to the installation instructions carry out the installation as below:

To install the .cab file do the following:

1 - Connect your Smartphone, start ActiveSync, and choose Explore
2 - Copy the attached .cab file to the folder called either

\IPSM\Windows\Start Menu for 2002 OS handsets or
\Storage\Windows\Start Menu for 2003 OS handsets

on the Smartphone.

3 - On your phone, choose Programs/Accessories, then pick Home again (this will refresh the programs list)
4 - You should then see the cab file in the programs list. Selecting it will install Mapopolis and erase the .cab file.

You can then proceed to install a demo map to a folder of your choice. I've had a quick play with the application on my E200 and it works very well, the UI is very simple and quick to use. BUT the problem I have is my SPV E200 has a bug in the BT stack which prevents me from accessing a BT GPS. It is due to be fixed by the end of March but until then I can't access the GPS functions Sad I don't know of any other current BT equipped MS Smartphones.
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren is quite correct about the SmartPhone needing to be unlocked (Tip: this is nothing to do with SIM locked - its application lock so that's what to search for in search engines Wink ).

Once your phone is unlocked then the typical Mapopolis style of map screen opens and away you go, so it's worth persevering with the application unlocking.

Now you have to connect your GPS receiver and this is where the fun starts! Bluetooth should be the easiest, but as Darren also says, Bluetooth enabled SmartPhones are thin on the ground. Maybe the forthcoming Motorola MPx 220 is worth holding off for.

All-in-all, exciting times ahead. Now wouldn't it be fantastic if you could use software like this on your phone to see where your GPS tracker equipped vehicle currently is? :D

Best regards,

The HOLUX UK Technical Support Team

Tel: 0870 321 5929 (ext 52)
Fax: 0870 321 4029
e-mail: tech@holux-uk.com
web: www.holux-uk.com

Holux Navigation Aids ".......Get there."
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and that wouldn't be a plug would it ? Wink Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update for Orange SPV E200 and other Voyager based models. Beta testers have had a fix for the BT issue and it works Smile BT SPP is present and allegedly the fix includes a replacement Widcomm BT stack to resolve the issue with PPC2003 and WM2003 so that you can now access GPRS on the Smartphone from your PocketPC Smile

It is slated for release end of March so fingers crossed (Orange have been known to let these dates slip!).

Last edited by Darren on Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plug Dave? Embarassed

Regrettably not... more a sort of living-in-hopes-that-some-software-house-might-do-it-instead. Wink

Best Regards,

The HOLUX UK Technical Support Team.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This software is good news for Smartphone owners who want to use GPS.
You can now connect the likes of Garmin/Magellan/Digitraveler/DelormeUSB GPS to some MS Smartphones with cables.

We have not tested it yet (we need to "application unlock" our SPV/Mio first) but I can assume:

The smartphone must have a serial port to work via serial cable (or BT).
AFAIK, SPV1 has a serial port and serial cable is available (exactly the same cable as XDA). If it has been tested to work with a mouse GPS then there is no reason that it does not work with other GPS.
Therefore, existing cables for XDA connecting to Garmin/Magellan/Digitraveler/DelormeUSB GPS SHOULD work.

SPV2 (SPV100) and SPV3 (?) should also work.

We'll test Mio8380 when we get it application unlocked but there is a good chance that it has a serial port and we already have cables for it.

Motorola MPx200 does not have a serial port so I am afraid that it is highly unlikely that it can connect any GPS.

Samsung i600 is US specific CDMA phone so I can only guess. My guess is that there is a good chance that it has a serial port, of some sort. I say that because there is less than 50-50 chance that it has a standard RS232 port (like so many PDAs nowadays) making it more difficult to make a simple serial cable.

I think these are all the MS smartphones presently available (Mio8390 should be same as 8380).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the SPV E200 (Voyager) does work with an XDA cable and GPS mouse. As soon as the imminent E200 update is released we will also be able to use a BT GPS Smile
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update:

SPV works with XDA cables, so all cables for XDA connecting to Garmin/Magellan/Digitraveler/Delorme should work.

Unfortunately Mio8380 does not work and it may not have a serial port through the bottom connector. We'll have to get some technical detail from Mio to investigate further.

So at present, it remains only the SPV ranges of Smartphones are able to coonect various GPS via cables for use with the Mapopolis software.
mandi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Bluetooth and the E200 Reply with quote

Hi, i dont know if you can help me with this, but i have mapopolis on my smartphone and i have also downloaded the new ROM Update, but i still dont know how to connect my phone to the GPS receiver that i have, or even if it is compatible. I have a bluetooth GPS receiver, which came with Tom Tom for the PPC and im desperately trying to get GPS working on my smartphone. Any ideas please?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what phone you have but as you mention a ROM update I will assume it is the E200?

Firstly GoTo 'Configurations' then 'BT SerialPortSetup' and ensure both Inbound and Outbound COM Port entries are enabled. Also confirm that Outbound is set to COM7.

Select Done and Home

GoTo Settings, Bluetooth

Select Menu, Bonded Devices

Ensure your BT GPS is On

Select Menu, New

This will then force the Smartphone to search for the BT GPS. When it finds it enter the Passkey (TT BT is 0000).

When complete you should see your TomTOM BT GPS in the list of bonded devices.

You can now launch Mapopolis and in Menu / GPS setting set the Port as COM7 and the Baud Rate as 4800 bps. You can now start the GPS and off you go Smile
mandi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,
Your an absolute star, it works, thank you very much. :D
Wak1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: SPV locks Reply with quote

I have tried Mapopolis with the original SPV using an XDA cable but as soon as I start GPS from the menu the softkeys become disabled and the device is locked in the GPS screen. Anybody else suffered from this and mores the point is there a solution to the problem?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: