Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - who knows whats what - help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

who knows whats what - help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acropolis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
I would much prefer to have a wired system and not have to worry about whether the batteries are going to last the day and if I charged them the evening before. 2

the bluetooth reciever comes with a cradle that it sits in and the car kit comes with a lead to plug from teh car kit to the cradle, that way you dont have to worry about the battery going flat, unless u do what i did and use it without the bt cradle an the battery went flat ,but have learnt my lesson now. :P
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt the BT GPS run on batteries though? Confused

Im slightly confused now. I thought the idea was that the GPS unit sat outside the car (on the roof or something) and connected to the PDA via BT. If this is the case then surely there is an issue with batteries. Unless of course you wire your BT GPS unti, which would defeat the object.

I need a coffee :D

ChrisR
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BT GPS is not normally located outside, few are designed for thsi, it can be positioned anywhere in the car within 10m of the PDA which allows it to be positioned in a rear window if you have a coated windscreen for example.

The vast majority of BT GPS run on batteries and can be charged or powered directly using a cigar lighter lead. TomToms solution is unique in that as well as allowing use on batteries and or via a cigar lighter lead, it also comes with a seperate cradle that can be wire to a 12v feed, when the receiver is docked in the cradle it will be powered and charged and will also switch on/off automatically with the ignition. See our TT BT review at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtombtgps.php to see what I mean.
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just see the install done by Mark Dyson's in the Picasso, I am happy to confirm that I’m back to wanting a wired gps. I feel much happier knowing its getting powered by the same feed as the PDA - less trouble shooting for me should something go wrong.

I figure I've learnt enough from you lot to enable me to make a reasonably informed decision on what to buy now, and with all the informative reviews on this site I should be able to decide on a good receiver.

Thanks for all your help.

Chris Thumbs Up
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placed my order tonight..

http://www.handteq.co.uk/moreinfo.asp?ProductID=168

Praying like mad its a good setup. Confused
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: A word of Wisdom Reply with quote

If experience is anything to go by and I were looking to buy a new complete system for navigation use I would most certainly buy a ready put together package i.e. software and hardware then should you have problems the manufacturers can't play one off against the other and it is far easier to say it does not work please refund and take it back.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: