Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Cameras versus Speed Limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Cameras versus Speed Limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Speed Cameras versus Speed Limits Reply with quote

The latest move to free up the location of speed cameras seems to have caused excitement in some threads. If this move means more cameras - and that assumption may or may not become the reality - then it may, in time, beg the question of the usefullness of the camera database which may assume a criticial mass too large to be manageable by both the compiler and the user.

I have now deleted the camera database off my Garmin for a trial period to see how I cope with driving along unknown routes 'blind'. It would be nice to assess, again for a trial period, the usefulness of a database that gave the speed limit of the road I was travelling on. My biggest concern at the moment is not whether there is a camera around the corner but what the prevailing speed limit is. I know the speed limit is posted but so are a great many other things and on unknown roads it is not always possible to absorb and retain all information.

I'm sure in a small number of years as active traffic management increases, all vehicles will 'know' the speed limit of the road they travel on and advise the driver of this. To those experts at PGPSW - how difficult would it be to devise and make available a database of speed limits that could be used as per the camera database?

(PS. Now going off line for a week for some r&r. Sorry Embarassed )
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Cameras versus Speed Limits Reply with quote

DPL wrote:
I'm sure in a small number of years as active traffic management increases, all vehicles will 'know' the speed limit of the road they travel on and advise the driver of this. To those experts at PGPSW - how difficult would it be to devise and make available a database of speed limits that could be used as per the camera database?
This is something we were asked about a number of times at the Edinburgh GPS Expo last year, it would be too larger task to try and keep accurate/ upto date due to local changes, the sat nav unit will suffer from the same problems, out of date speed information due to local changes, the current speed limits embedded in the map data from some suppliers are a good example of how out of date the speed information actually is.

To be honest use the traditional method of reading speed limit signs, this is the only way to avoid points and (negative) prizes - Mike
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Cameras versus Speed Limits Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To be honest use the traditional method of reading speed limit signs, this is the only way to avoid points and (negative) prizes - Mike

Mike. Thanks for the prompt reply...I can well understand the difficulty in compiling and maintaining the database. I guess I'm just conscious of the number of cameras or police cars I've approached where I haven't registered in my mind what the speed limit is. Probably just senility Wink
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a database of speed limits that could be used as per the camera database?

Quote:
where I haven't registered in my mind what the speed limit is.

Surely there is no difference is seeing a speed limit sign and forgetting and being warned of the sign and forgetting.

Apart from 30mph signs there are always repeater signs. Would you also like a repeat warning as you pass these signs?

Also, what would happen if a database was compliled and it warned of a 40mph limit, which was actually 30mph, would people try to sue the company who compiled the database, if they were caught speeding?

I think it's a non starter.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i Agree it is a non starter, you are taking on too much responsibilty, some of the speeds shown on tomtom that i have seen are not to be relied on and you should rely on common sense and the published regs.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody out there got the Tom Tom cameras and can check their equivalent of Gatso:666@40? - A48 Eastern Avenue heading into Cardiff. It always used to be 50mph according to TT and I often wonder whether anyone gets caught out by it.

Road speed on the maps would be brilliant and Tom Tom actually have it. It's just simply a useless feature because it's impossible to have even a moderate percentage of accuracy - why do we all grumble about the speed indicator that turns red and flashes when we know we're under the limit?

I find the most reliable reminder of speed limit where I am is the pgpsw camera database - last time I found one with wrong speed limit was maybe a year ago when the council reduced the limit from 40 to 30. I shouted to pgpsw as loud and soon as possible and they changed it very quickly, thank you!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others - it's 'dangerous' territory

My GPS unit does advise me of the speed limit and warn me if I'm over the limit. It's not perfect and I use it as a rough guide only.

This feature can be annoying because if the speed limit is 60mph and the GPS thinks the speed limit is 30mph, then you get a warning for no reason.

I keep this feature active, because even false alarms of driving over the speed limit prompt me to check my speedometer.

Alternatively, if the speed limit is 30mph but the GPS thinks it's 60mph, then you obviously get no warning.

As already mentioned, I use this feature a s a rough guide only - I guess its like approaching a road junction, there might not have been any oncoming cars to give way to yesterday, but there are today. It's the same with road signs - the driver's responsibility to be observant of speed limit and all other road signs.

I view the GPS as a tool to get me from A to B with as little stress as possible - all these other features are nice to have, but the driver is ultimately responsible for the car. OK, so some people may not be very good at reading maps and GPS is superb for that, but we should all be capable of observing our surroundings and responding to road signs etc appropriately.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Apart from 30mph signs there are always repeater signs. Would you also like a repeat warning as you pass these signs?

No, just a warning if I was over the speed limit for a particular road!

Lost_Property wrote:
Also, what would happen if a database was compliled and it warned of a 40mph limit, which was actually 30mph, would people try to sue the company who compiled the database, if they were caught speeding?

The same thing that would happen if they brought a speed camera database and warned them of a speed camera @ 40MPH when it was actually 30. Wink

I do agree that the database would be difficult to implement and probably a non starter.

The best thing I have seen is Trevor Hart's GPS Speed Sentry where you press the button on screen when you enter a speed limit area and it warns you if you exceed the speed limit. I don't have a problem seeing the speed limit signs but I don't want to drive around obsessively watching the speedo lest I should stray over the limit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy, Have you updated your GPS Speed Sentry software recently? - you might be in for quite a surprise if you do as it now offers speed camera warning and lowers the speed limit to that of the approaching camera - well worth taking a look at

Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye Gods and little fishes, Mike. Have you got a full pilot's licence for that lot? You don't need shades, you need a periscope!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
happyhkv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Skippy, Have you updated your GPS Speed Sentry software recently? - you might be in for quite a surprise if you do as it now offers speed camera warning and lowers the speed limit to that of the approaching camera - well worth taking a look at

Mike

Hi Mike which pocket gps world camera file would you advise I should use for GPS speed sentry?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the following text on file from the early testing of this release, it should explain all you need to know, I assume you have upgraded the software to the latest download, as previous versions didn't offer the speed camera warning - BTW it is very good in use Wink

Quote:
You need to choose "Other" as the SatNav system and download the "UK - Single file with all cameras CSV" version of the database.

Unzip it (should be around 400k unzipped) and copy it to "My Documents" on your device. It should be called "pocketgps_uk_sc.csv".

Now, when you fire up the application it should throw up an hourglass for a few seconds (around 15 seconds on my ipaq) and then start the application.

The first time it loads it is usually longer but this only happens if the database hasnt bee loaded before.

After you have connected to the GPS switch to the main speed screen (5th icon along).

As you drive, this will change into two other screens based on your proximity to any nearby cameras.

Proximity distances are based in yards if miles per hour are the selected speed units (otherwise metres for km/h).

You can alter the proximity distances and detection angle under the settings menu option.
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

There are detailed instructions on my website on how to install the database as well as various links to other databases.

The direct link is here;

http://www.tchartdev.com/gps_ss_cameras.htm

Just scrioll down till you see "install instructions for pocket gps world database".

Regards
Trevor Hart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: