Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat-Nav & Polarised Sunglasses
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat-Nav & Polarised Sunglasses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Sat-Nav & Polarised Sunglasses Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry for the slightly off topic question. I have been told that polarised sunglasses are great for driving but that when wearing them it's difficult if not impossible to view a sat-nav's screen. Anyone experienced this or is it an urban myth?

I guess it might be something to do with the polarising lens cutting the "glare" from the screen?

Thanks - Nick
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a problem unless you tilt your head 90 degrees - and then they only tend to go a little bit darker and not completely invisible.

i've had no problems with the following: garmin i3, garmin nuvi, tomtom one, tomtom go300, fujitsu loox, navman icn750, viamichellin x950 - so i reckon it'ssafe to say that all the screens work this way...

MaFt
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My polarising sunglasses make it difficult to read the stereo, but don't affect my Nuvi. I think it can depend on both the sunglasses themselves, and the angle of the polarisation within the glass.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
My polarising sunglasses make it difficult to read the stereo, but don't affect my Nuvi. I think it can depend on both the sunglasses themselves, and the angle of the polarisation within the glass.

tilting my head 90 degrees to the right makes my stereo lcd display go nice and black, 90degrees left makes it a bit lighter. thankfully i tend not to tilt my head that much while driving!!
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Decided to go for non polarised anyway...I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference for the few days a year when its wet and sunny and I'm driving!

Thanks for the input though, I think Swing's comment on the angle of the polarisation could be the key, I was intially looking at a pair of Oakleys and was told it was very difficult to view a sat-nav with these.

Cheers - Nick
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly late in a reply here but...using polarised (Oakley) sunglasses my C320 is TOTALLY UNREADABLE, i.e black screen, unless I tilt by head through the obligatory ninety degrees Crying or Very sad All other displays in my cars are fine. 8O I raised the issue with Garmin...they suggested I change my sunglasses. Evil or Very Mad It's all a function of how the polarising filter is orientated in whatever unit you buy. My Fathers C310 works fine with the Oakleys, my C320 doesn't. This suggests variability in the Garmin manufacturing process - I would think the polarising filter on the C310 and C320 are the same as the units are physically identical. I suggest that anyone buying polarised sunglasses tries out their GPS (or vica versa) before buying. Either that, or buy non-polarised Wink
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will depend upon the type of polarisation (vertical / horizontal or circular). For getting rid of reflection of water surface (eg ponds / wet roads) you need glasses that reject light polarised vertically I believe. Doesn't the act of reflecting turn the polarisation of the light through 90deg? Must go and look it up. Anyhow this may explain why some polarised glasses don't have a major effect and why some do.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: