Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions to those using TomTom Navigator 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions to those using TomTom Navigator 6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Questions to those using TomTom Navigator 6 Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm in the situation that I have had to get a new PDA, due to my previous one starting to hard reset itself, which has caused issues when away from my back up file.

My replacement PDA is the Fujitsu Loox C550. My previous navigation software was Navman Smart ST, which even though it had some annoying features, did what I wanted to do and on the whole I was happy with it's performance, but as it is only compatible with Windows 2003, so I am looking at what I can replace it with. I'm considering either the Navigon MN6, or TomTom Navigator 6.

The questions I have about Nav 6are:

1) How good is the TomTom Home desktop software?

2) How good are the voice directions. Is it worth buying the extra voices. I have to admit to being tempted to get the John Cleese one?

3) When in 3D mode, does it zoom in and out dependent on your speed

4) I assume that you can choose a destination based on Contacts, Favourites, Recent destinations

5) Are the options flexible enough to allow the level of control you need?

6) I am aware there are new maps out for 2007, but is there any info on whether there is going to be a Navigator update to 7?

7) Can you choose what data is shown onscreen, as there seems to be a lot e.g. ETA Distance to go etc?

Thanks in advance for any responses
Becker MapPilot Integrated in Car
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to answer some of your questions. Smile

1. The jury is still out on this one. Personally I don't use it anymore than I have to.

2. The directions are OK. Sometimes they are a bit quirky, but you soon get used to it. I've never bought a 'celebrity voice'. I think I would soon get bored. ;)

3. In 3D mode it will zoom in (not very much though) as you approach the next instruction point.

4. Yes.

5. It depends what level of control you require.

6. Nothing that I've heard of.

7. The Status Bar can be configured to some extent.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
radiopeapod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Navigator 6

1) It works. It automatically gets updates from Tom Tom and offers them, lets you operate the Tom Tom on your PC screen remotely using your mouse, lets you browse the file system in the Tom Tom, backups and restores. Not exciting, but does the job.

2) I find the voice directions generally good, when you get used to it no complaints at all. I have 'John Cleese'. I had to buy it as he is "very old and needs the money" and although I thought I would get bored with it, he is so good it's an exception: when he says "You have reached your destination, but I am not going to carry your bags, from now on, you're on your own" for the thousandth time, and you still smile, you realise that he IS probably the funniest man in the world. I got bored with that posh voice Tarquin type you can get, in fact I want to punch him. I wish there were more celebrity voices, such as Joanna Lumley, but some would be awful. I also hate the standard voice and had to go back to Uncle John Cleese.

3) Not that I noticed but it seems OK as it is.

4) And many more, it is very good at guessing what you want, solicitous almost.

5) In terms of routing options? It does exclude motorways, shortest, fastest, walking (which I use on foot), low speed. I would wish for more and more, but it is fine.

6) No idea sorry.

7) Yes you can customise most of that.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as another option have a look at iGO

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiopeapod wrote
Quote:
lets you operate the Tom Tom on your PC screen remotely using your mouse

I don't think you can do that with pda based devices, only stand alone ones.

I found John Cleese funny the first time I used him but after that I went back to Tim who is extremely clear and concise. I find him marginally better than Jane, but I would never bother with celebrity voices again.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unreliable. A really awful piece of software.

2) How good are the voice directions. Is it worth buying the extra voices. I have to admit to being tempted to get the John Cleese one?

I like the "two level" instructions, such as "go straight on at the roundabout, then turn left". And I love it when Joanna Lumley calls me "darling".

I never use 3D, but in normal 2D mode it zooms in as you approach a turn, then back out again. It seems to be dependent on your location and the proximity of the next manoeuvre, not speed.

4) I assume that you can choose a destination based on Contacts, Favourites, Recent destinations

Yes.

Yes.

6) I am aware there are new maps out for 2007, but is there any info on whether there is going to be a Navigator update to 7?

Sorry, don't know about that. I only just bought 6.

7) Can you choose what data is shown onscreen, as there seems to be a lot e.g. ETA Distance to go etc?

Yes.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I never use 3D, but in normal 2D mode it zooms in as you approach a turn, then back out again. It seems to be dependent on your location and the proximity of the next manoeuvre, not speed.

In 3D mode there is a certain amount of automatic zoom depending on how fast you are travelling. If you are moving slow at a indicated change of direction (i.e. turn left at next roundabout) then the map does zoom in a little so that you can see the layout of the junction better. Also when you are travelling at 40-50mph + the map zooms out so that you can see the road ahead and any pending future changes of direction well before the event actually happens.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I found John Cleese funny the first time I used him but after that I went back to Tim who is extremely clear and concise. I find him marginally better than Jane, but I would never bother with celebrity voices again.

How can you diss the Cleese !!

Another option if you like your Northern humour is Justin Moorhouse from Key 103 Radio (Little Kenny from Pheonix Nights too, you know him with the painted face). It's a free voice download and he does come across much LOUDER than the John Cleese one even with your stereo cranked up. Get him here : http://www.gpsice.co.uk/voices.html
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everone's advice and answers.

I have decided to go for the TomTom set-up. Partly due to your responses and partly due to the relative cheapness of the DVD version.

I did think of one final challenging question though. When you boot up TT, does it automatically connect to a bluetooth GPS Receiver, or do you need to conect the partnership beforehand?

I'm using a Fujitsu_Siemens Loox C550 (Mobile 5) and a Holux GPSlim GR236 Receiver.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the device(s) configured you only need to switch on the GPS receiver and start the TomTom application, there will be no messing around once you have the pair working - Mike
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: My answers Reply with quote

The questions I have about Nav 6are:

Works but isn't great.

Voice directions are great. Plenty of free included and downloadable voices.

Yes, it auto-zooms.

Yes. The biggest TomTom plus is that you create your own POI categories and use a custom icon for them. If the icon is nice, your POIs look like they came with the software. For example, I have all US Starbucks and they appear as the Starbucks logo.

I think so.

Can't answer that. If there is money to be made, they will make it.

Yes, but number of items is limited. You must choose the ones you want most.

I think TT is the best Guidance software there is and Streets and Trips is the best planning software there is. Streets EST files are easily converted to TT OV2 files. I have had two Navmans, an iWay 500c (the worst), use PPC iGuidance, Street Atlas, OziExplorer, and Pocket Streets. I also use PC Streets and Trips, iGuidance, Street Atlas, and just got Co-pilot. I have used AutoRoute in Europe.

I wish TT would make a PC based product.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldboy said
Quote:
I've never bought a 'celebrity voice'. I think I would soon get bored.

You should try it, it can be no more boring than listening to jane etc, I use Sharon Osbourne mainly because having hearing dificulties she seems to speak more clearly and have more treble thus cutting across traffic noise and i can still have the radio on, plus the wife likes it because she calls her an assh*le when she goes wrong, which is not deeply offensive, and this is on a Mio 168 without any external aids or amplification. I have been trying to produce some ogg files and find that i am very disalusioned with some of the voices offered being more concerned with voice quality than the celebrity status.
Go on try it you may like it.
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have now set-up my TTN6 on my Loox C550. It was a bit of a challenge especially trying to get the Holux GPSlim236 to be available to TTN6.

When I went in to configure the GPS, it never offered me any of the COM ports that I could connect the GPS Receiver to. I ended up installing GPSGate (Fransom), just so that I could pick up a virtual port.

Still it does work and was tested in anger on Saturday on a trip to Spalding for the Flower parade (don't ask, but my missus grew up their and wanted our two girls to experience the flower parade!).

It worked well and I was impressed with the quality of the voice directions. I had my Father-in-Law with us who had his own version f the ideal route, so I definitely tested the re-routing speed of the TTN6!!

So far I'm pleased with this product, though still mystified as to why I couldn't select the COM ports that I wanted. Any suggestins as to why this is?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattB wrote:
So far I'm pleased with this product, though still mystified as to why I couldn't select the COM ports that I wanted. Any suggestins as to why this is?
Please have a read through This Guide. I appreciate the PDA is a different device to yours so the actual outgoing com port will be different but if you look through the guide do you spot any steps you missed when you created the Bluetooth Bond between the PDA and GPS receiver? - Mike
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MattB wrote:
Please have a read through This Guide. I appreciate the PDA is a different device to yours so the actual outgoing com port will be different but if you look through the guide do you spot any steps you missed when you created the Bluetooth Bond between the PDA and GPS receiver? - Mike

Thanks Mike, I had already followed that guide.
I have successfully set-up the connection to the PDA, but the real issue is that TTN6 doesn't offer me any of the Com ports that I can set up as an outgoing port.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: