Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigate around a known problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigate around a known problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaddo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Navigate around a known problem Reply with quote

I've searched the forum and read the manual but I cannot work out how to tell TTN6 to avoid a stretch of road. If my route takes me 10's of miles down a motorway how can I tell it I do not want to travel along a certain section (roadworks are the usual culprit) but instead wish to navigate around it. My section may even be more than one junction, ie leave at J9 get back on at J10 or leave at J9 and get back on at J12.

Thanks for your help.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the human bit to using a satnav in a car that you just ignore it and go your way by muting the go then turning it back on when you get to the point that you need it again

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
iwaddo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
this is the human bit to using a satnav in a car that you just ignore it and go your way by muting the go then turning it back on when you get to the point that you need it again

Yes, but once I've turned off I do not know the best route to where I want to rejoin, hence the sat nav!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can avoid part of a route from the veiw route menus from memory

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Find Alternative | Avoid Part of Route.

Unfortunately, if you want to avoid only 2 sections of a Motorway journey, that is say 10 sections long, it doesn't work. It's all, or nothing, on any one instance of a road.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Options that work in different circumstances, I've used all three at different times.

1) After planning the route, and before setting off, use Find alternative - Travel via and pick a suitable point halfway along your alternative route to the motorway section you want to avoid. It will replan the route, branching off the motorway to go through your "via" point. Can be a bit trial and error, but you will usually find a "via" point that works if you're only avoiding the motorway for one or two junctions.

2) Follow the route as originally planned and exit the motorway at the junction where you want to divert. It will recalculate your route straight over the junction and back onto the motorway, so now (pull over when safe and legal to do so and) use Find alternative - Avoid roadblock to tell it to not use the next section of motorway. The limit on my TomTom is to avoid the next 3 miles, so this generally only works well for short diversions.

3) Look at a road atlas (?!) before setting off, to work out your chosen alternative route. Exit the motorway where you want to leave it, and start taking your chosen route. After a while the sat nav will stop trying to get you back to the motorway junction where you came off, and start trying to get you back onto it further along, or even offer you another better alternative that you hadn't spotted. This is my preferred option where I have a fairly good mental map of the main road options in the area.
iwaddo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Options that work in different circumstances, I've used all three at different times.

1) After planning the route, and before setting off, use Find alternative - Travel via and pick a suitable point halfway along your alternative route to the motorway section you want to avoid. It will replan the route, branching off the motorway to go through your "via" point. Can be a bit trial and error, but you will usually find a "via" point that works if you're only avoiding the motorway for one or two junctions.

2) Follow the route as originally planned and exit the motorway at the junction where you want to divert. It will recalculate your route straight over the junction and back onto the motorway, so now (pull over when safe and legal to do so and) use Find alternative - Avoid roadblock to tell it to not use the next section of motorway. The limit on my TomTom is to avoid the next 3 miles, so this generally only works well for short diversions.

3) Look at a road atlas (?!) before setting off, to work out your chosen alternative route. Exit the motorway where you want to leave it, and start taking your chosen route. After a while the sat nav will stop trying to get you back to the motorway junction where you came off, and start trying to get you back onto it further along, or even offer you another better alternative that you hadn't spotted. This is my preferred option where I have a fairly good mental map of the main road options in the area.

Thank you. The 'road blocked' approach does work OK, so long as it is only one section you want to avoid. All three are options that I've tried - thank you for confirming there is not something else I could try.

Regards
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to take more than one diversion off the preferred route, use an itinerary. With enough drive by waypoints in an itinerary (there is a limit of 48 per ITN file in my version of TomTom) you can pretty much force TomTom to take any route you want.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still keeps coming back to the fact that SatNav is still not sufficiently developed to totally remove the need for the printed map, and that when you simply want a device to guide you along a route of your chosing, TomTom is sadly lacking - one notable area where I believe CoPilot is infinately superior(I didn't say CoPilot was best, because I don't have sufficient experience of other systems to know).

Another (messy I'm afraid) solution for when TomTom simply refuses to keep away from its preferred route, is simply to have a list of locations you would need to drive through/to and treat them as a series of individual journeys (well I did say that it was messy!)
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
Another (messy I'm afraid) solution for when TomTom simply refuses to keep away from its preferred route, is simply to have a list of locations you would need to drive through/to and treat them as a series of individual journeys (well I did say that it was messy!)

Not sure what's "messy" about this if you make all but the last of the itinerary waypoints "drive by" ones (as described in my previous post). TomTom will then treat the whole route as one journey, giving you stats such as remaining distance and time to the final destination from the moment you set off, while taking you through all the drive bys on the way to the final destination. Having never used CoPilot, and without wishing to start a flaming session, I'm curious to know how it does it better than this?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barryd
No offence taken.

With CoPilot, it is just that it is a far more practical proposition to get the route displayed and 'see' where you wish to detour and select it directly from the map. While possible in TomTom, this is far more difficult to do - some forum members would go so far as to say that it is not even practicable.

I agree that if you know an exact point on the detour (ie you may know the road name) as you say, it is not a problem, however in the cases I have needed to take an alternative route, all too often, I have not had this information to hand.

Having had significant use of both programs, I (contrary to the majority of the opinion expressed on this site) prefer Copilot as a basic program. It is the basic routing and handling of safety cameras, and to a certain degree stability where I have concerns. I will certainly be interested to see how these shortcomings have been addressed when CP7 is released.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still curious as to how CoPilot it makes it easier, but I guess the only way I'll be convinced is to try it out for myself. For me the real limitation in browsing the maps is the screen size on the Pocket PC - which obviously affects any program running on it in much the same way.

Personally I find the TomTom map easy to zoom in and out and scroll around. But then I've had very limited use of other systems and never seen CoPilot so I can't really compare.

Guess I need to get myself along to a meet at some point and see the competition for myself.
Rincewindwiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid roadblock is a very naive facility. For a start, you practically have to be in the problem before you can avoid it otherwise all you get is the inevitable "turnaround where possible"!!!
Much better if there were two parameters to a roadblock
1) Roadblock starts in x miles
2) Roadblock lasts for y miles

just my 10p

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: