Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New v 6.75 maps available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New v 6.75 maps available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is part of the reply I received from TomTom CS at the weekend.

My question to them concerned my purchase of a 910 (with 650 Maps) within a short period before the new 675 Maps were made available, with reference to a possible upgrade path (at reduced cost, if not free). The spelling mistake is not mine. ;)

Quote:
Im afraid if you wish to upgrade you will have to purchase the new maps, but from your mentioned map version, i would not reccomend you do, as you may barley see a difference.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barley a difference, I do like that one!

As a veteran TT5 user (albeit with updated V6something maps) I find this all very interesting. I agree that, having criticised Tomtom in the past it's not very fair to volte face and criticise regular (and by necessity then, minor) upgrades. However, we really need to know what each update contains before committing our pennies.

As an example, I use Agendus for Palm and have done for years, all the way back to the old Action Names programme. Every now and then I get notified of upgrades. If I am on the current version number these are free, if not there is an upgrade path. Either way, the Iambic site lists what's new in the latest version, including bug fixes. I also appreciate that map data is different from software, and that TT will give details of what's new in software updates. But... to map users all that matters is what changes are in the latest version.

Clearly it would be ludicrous for TT to list everything - Dumbledore Grove in Midchester added at junction of Flingwort Drive - but could they not have a real time version of the map data on their site? We can access the Tele Atlas and Navteq maps to report errors (which they never sort, my street still has the far end incorrectly named as a different street which it has never actually been called), so surely TT could do that too. If Tele Atlas and Navteq maps are online then copyright shouldn't be an issue either.

That way, we can see at a glance what has been changed in the areas that we know and decide whether to twist or stick. It's a better notion than users of this forum constantly asking the poor unfortunates who have bought the update "is the new A7246 from Ramsbottom to Pimperley on the map?"....
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weelogic wrote:
Quote:
but could they not have a real time version of the map data on their site? We can access the Tele Atlas and Navteq maps to report errors (which they never sort, my street still has the far end incorrectly named as a different street which it has never actually been called), so surely TT could do that too. If Tele Atlas and Navteq maps are online then copyright shouldn't be an issue either.

All very nice in theory, but if you check the teleatlas onsite map it is not even as up to date as tomtoms WE660 or Uk 675, but it would be very nice if tomtom could do it.
Scream
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would be better is if they put a list of changes. I mean, yes it will be long, but at least people are knowing what they're paying for. I've seen posted to many times people complaining of roads that have been around for years and being told it's not on the maps. I've experienced this as well, many a times. I even got sent down a dead end road in two different locations, one nearly ended up with me crashing (it was pitch black in the country side and i only saw the reflective off the concrete bollards at the very last second). Another reason to always take the instructions with a pinch of salt.

The attitudes of TT only breeds piracy, which as we all know is bad. So TT are just shooting themselves in the foot. As people are already saying this map update is just a waste of time, and for the people that have just bought TT6 who now feel they have an out of date map, they're just gonna be mad at TT for there lack of moral ethics. Thus only alienating themselves from their potential customers. A very wise move TT. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
andybryant
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Map differences for different versions of hardware Reply with quote

Ok... So it seems that depending on your device they offer you either the Western and Central Europe; or the Western Europe only. They don't seem to be interchangeable for some reason. Any ideas why? I mean - it can't be due to size... if I have a 2G card on an iPaq - why can't I use the 1.7G maps of Western and Central Europe?

Second question...

Code:

Western and Central                       1700 kb   EUR 109.95
Western Europe                             944 kb   EUR 99.95
Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia  233 kb   EUR 59.95

So why is the Western and Central Europe map so much bigger than the sum of the Western Europe and Poland, CZ, Hungary and Slovakia?

Similar question could apply to the US maps

Code:

North America  1400 kb  EUR 109.95
US & Canada     919 kb  EUR 99.95

What's the difference?

Andy.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that they've stripped out some of the detail from the WE map in order to keep it under 1gig?

If you purchase the WE map on an SD card from tomtom (v650 or 660) it comes on a 1gig card. So it would make sense for them to keep the v675 upgrade map below 1gig so that those customers don't have to buy a new SD card.

If this is true I'm not going to be happy. I've bought the v675 WE map, but I have a 2gig SD card, so would bought the W&CE map if I'd known that has more detail.

Is there any way to verify this?
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: News Maps on DVD? Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know if TomTom have "updated" their DVD and SD media with these news maps? (Pocket PC)

I'm just about to purchase new maps for all of Europe and the USA which is not going to be cheap and would like to ensure that I’m getting the latest maps.

As I'm still using TT 5.2 I'm also going to use this as an opportunity to upgrade to TT 6 and so would like to buy “real” media and not just download maps from the TT web site as this will include the TT navigator program.

Has anyone any knowledge on this?

Thanks Henry
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the DVD and SD card versions are still 650 or 660. Only the download version is 675.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goober556 wrote:
If this is true I'm not going to be happy. I've bought the v675 WE map, but I have a 2gig SD card, so would bought the W&CE map if I'd known that has more detail.

It does. Many minor roads and most of the topological data (e.g. rivers) have been stripped out if the WE version.

Last edited by vroomfondel on Thu May 03, 2007 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are TomTom really in control, having just updated to WE 675 have now found that the centre of loughborough has reverted back to its original road layout pre V660, the situation now is that Uk 660 is wrong but UK 675 is updated, WE 660 was updated and now WE 675 has reverted back to being wrong, do Tomtom really know what they are doing, presumably when ripping off the punters, the answer has to be yes
mallettron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way of finding out what the updates are before downloading?

There is a major road build in sheffield and it would be handy to know if it is on before spending the councils money (taxpayers council tax money)

Ronnie
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have lots of the new 675 maps and I noticed that there are a few corections. v660.1256, introduced some errors that the new ones now have corrected. Would I buy them? That is a very good question. I use GPS, I travel many miles in a year, TT has not let me down except near my home. Romamania and Bulgaria is in EU yet they are ignored in favour of South Africa. Singapore, I have drivers there for Singpore and Hong Kong. I'd like East Europe on maps. Version 5 that they do not sell is fine, but if it was one v6, and corrected would be a great boon to me
The speed of loding seems faster and the maps are ever so slightly smaller
They are more accurate. The bugs are less. Would I buy? Perhaps yes as they have corrected all of the errors I have reported bar one, and that was a small one in France
So one the whole, if I was using GPS in preference to paper maps, it is better, but I still do not leave them behind
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not really fair for me to comment as I get the maps from TomTom free and if they suit me, I will be positive and if they are I will be negative. On the whole I like the new maps. There are a few mistakes. There are many errors corrected. Does it slow my progress or speed it up? Well I think it speeds it up. I still have uptodate paper maps but I use then a lot less now. Does tomtom guide me accurately? I think mostly the answer is yes. not always, but mostly. I think the last time I used paper maps was about 4 months ago, so I think TomTom are pretty good. There are some inaccuracies, but since I know mostly the areas I am travelling, perhaps GPS is not so important, but when I need to hit a new bank in an area I do not know, the maps serve me well, or at least I think so. since i have a good idea, how long the journey will take, I have not been let down

Sorry this seems long windied, but I really wanted to give as unbiased reply as possible
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"........but when I need to hit a new bank in an area......."

Crikey! You're a Bank Robber! No wonder you get your Maps for free, the guy in shop hands them over really quickly when faced with a sawn off! 8O Laughing
Holux GPSslim
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the plunge and bought the new UK Iteland + major routes, I only really wanted the UK but that was not an option on the package I have.

I had a lot of problems getting it to work with the plus services as it would not recognise my device on the TT web site. In the past I had my device entered similar to "AB123CDE34" and it was fine. I had to change my device ID on the the site to "AB123 CDE34" as it now seems to insist on the space in the middle.

On my first trip out I found the new map really lacking, the A10 dual carriageway bypass between Hertford/Ware and the A120 is totally missing. So much for up to date.

The map takes longer to load than my UK only map and I have not seen any differences yet although I hope they have fixed the errors on the new A1/M62 around Ferrybridge, so whilst it was not a great deal of money, it seems a bit of a waste.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: