Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Zumo: Removing "Mobile" cameras from pre-installed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Zumo: Removing "Mobile" cameras from pre-installed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeDubleYuh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Zumo: Removing "Mobile" cameras from pre-installed Reply with quote

My new Zumo comes with speed... I mean safety cameras pre-installed on the device. (I don't have them on disk.) Unfortunately there are loads of "mobile" camera locations that are rarely - if ever - actually used. To stop the stupid thing beeping every half mile, I'd like to remove the mobile camera subset. (I'll take my chances!!) I understand the only way to do this would be to reload all the other POIs from my PC (?), but since I don't have them on disk, what can I do?

For example, would MapSource have the data in a format that allows me to remove the mobile camera locations and download the rest? Of can I upload the POIs from my Zumo to the PC, remove the mobile cameras and download them back?

(I've tried to find the answer to this on the forum, but spent well over half an hour fruitlessly.)
DeeDubleYuh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too hard for y'all, eh? Well is there some way I can convert the .gpi files into an editable format (.csv?) so I can reload them?
gsfalco
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya DeeDubleYuh,
Can't help with your question as I haven't had my zumo that long but you may find your answer here http://www.zumoforums.com
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not wanting to be warned about the mobile cameras why bother with it at all. The fixed ones are painted in bright colours its the sneaky mobile ones you need to look out for.
DeeDubleYuh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my trip to work I get four warnings of mobile speed cameras; I've been commuting there for 15 years and only ever seen a mobile camera in one of those locations. I'm guessing the database is similarly flawed across the UK. If the mobile locations were vaguely realistic I might leave the warnings on, but the system cries "Wolf" too often (and continually beeps if I'm half an mph over the limit too!)

Maybe when PocketGPSWorld finish their review of mobile locations I'll consider subscribing. Until then it's more bother than it's worth.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were using ours instead of those pre-installed ones you could choose to omit the Mobiles from the upload if you so wished. However, as it is Mobiles that invariably will catch you out, I wouldn't recommend it.
kweller
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issue but it's not the false positives that irritate me, it's the fact that it continually chimes all the way through the camera area if one is even slightly over the limit. This is doubly annoying if music is playing.

On the 2720 I was able to modify the chime so it did it once at the beginning of the area - all that is required IMO - but there doesn't seem a way to do that on the Zumo (or if there is I haven't found it).

Kevin
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zumo's preinstalled safety camera database (Cyclops) cannot have the mobile cameras removed seperately, you can turn them all off by clicking .. settings (spanner) / Proximity Points / Proximity Alerts / and deselecting 'Garmin Safety Cameras', best alternative is installing Pocket GPS Worlds database, tips on this here ..
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=1564.0
meteor9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDubleYuh - I could not agree more. Until recently my journey to work was 8 miles each way. Of those 8 miles there is 170 yards of road which does not have a mobile camera warning. Conversely I have never seen a mobile camera or a speed trap on the road in the 8 years I regularly used this road. So now I do not even take the zumo with me because I cannot even listen to my Mp3's because of the alerts. So where does all this misinformation come from and can we excise the useless ones from the database?
Discuss please.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that if you regularly use the road, you may be regularly using the road at a time when the cameras are not present.

You can submit removal requests on the download page but if others are reporting the cameras in those locations the request will probably be turned down.

The database isn't populated with every claimed camera. All are verified and the mobiles are the hardest to get into the database because they are harder to verify.

Have a read here - Click Here
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meteor9 wrote:
DeeDubleYuh - I could not agree more. Until recently my journey to work was 8 miles each way. Of those 8 miles there is 170 yards of road which does not have a mobile camera warning. Conversely I have never seen a mobile camera or a speed trap on the road in the 8 years I regularly used this road. So now I do not even take the zumo with me because I cannot even listen to my Mp3's because of the alerts. So where does all this misinformation come from and can we excise the useless ones from the database?
Discuss please.

This comes up time after time and the answer os the same. Regular users of a stretch of road will inevitable use that stretch at the same times of day and may never see a camera that regularly operates there at other times.

Cameras do not make it into our database on the basis of a single sighting. Fixed cameras have to be verified and mobiles require multiple independent reports.

My wife told me numerous times of a local camera van which I had never seen. Only recently did I see it when a change in working pattern meant I drove that route after 9am.

So please don't expect us to banish cameras simply because a member has never seen it, others have or else it would not be in there!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: