Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Nav 6 menus and joystick
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Nav 6 menus and joystick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: TomTom Nav 6 menus and joystick Reply with quote

I’m a new TTN6 user, having installed it on a Yakumo Delta 300 GPS without any obvious problems. I’ve only just started to use it and I realise it’ll take a while to become familiar with it, but there are two obvious things I’d like to check on.

1. The menus spread over several screens because there’s a large icon associated with each menu item. Is there a way to either use smaller icons, or simply a text list, so that the whole menu would fit on a single screen ?

2. The zoom + and – buttons in the top corners of the screen are fine, but I’m used to using the joystick for this function. Unfortunately, the joystick gives me volume control not zoom control. Is there a way to configure this ?

I hope some more advanced users may be able to help me. Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the bearer of good news for these two problems, about the only advice I can offer is to have a look at designing your own custom menu layout to put the icons where you want them, try the Skux on-line menu designer - you are still fixed to using the icons and positions, but at least you can put the important ones (for you) on the first couple of pages.
I gave up with the zoom options a while ago, as the device will auto zoom to whatever setting it wants forcing you to continually readjust the zoom level, get used to it - Mike
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. Fast response but a pity you didn't have better news !!

I really didn't expect anything else for the menus, but it seems so silly to me to spread a menu over four screens when it could so easily fit on one. I suppose TomTom assumes that its users can't read particularly well and that they'd prefer to puzzle over pictures (which have text labels anyway).

The TTN6 manual says that the joystick can be used for zooming, but on my PDA it's the volume not the image that zooms, so I was hoping there would be a tweak to allow me to change it.

Thanks again.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the purpose of the big icons on the menus is so you can poke at them with a flailing finger as you're driving along - it kind of makes sense that way... Laughing
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Nav 6 menus and joystick Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find menu designer in the link below to be much better, OK you have to install it on your PC but it is very simple to use, and best of all its free.

http://www.gregoryduncan.com/ttmd/index.php
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Eillo7 : yes, that’s probably the reason. Never mind the dire warnings about never trying to use the device while diving !

Mullet : no, I haven’t anything at all installed except for the operating system, the applications that come with it, and TTN6. So there’s nothing else to influence the joystick operation.

Andydigital44 : thanks, I’ve looked at this and it seems like an excellent way to re-arrange the contents of a menu to get the most-used items on the first page. When I’ve used TTN6 for a while I’ll have a better idea which ones I use most, and will probably come back to this, but for the moment I’ll leave it as it is. What I really want is to simply have a single menu screen, if necessary with just text, with all choices immediately available, but it seems that isn’t going to happen, so like Mikealder said, I’ll have to simply get used to it !
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andydigital44 :

I took a look at the utility you recommended. I'm not yet sure which menu items I'll be using most, but I can easily see that the use-once-only-for-setup ones shouldn't be up front, while the "close application" one and some others should.

So I created a new menu structure. The tool was easy to use. I saved the file. I created SdkRegistry on my SD card and copied the new menu into it.

But nothing happened. TomTom still displays its own default menu and my new one isn't recognised.

What did I miss ?
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that the folder name "SdkRegistry" and the file name within that folder "TomTom.mnu" has exactly the same capitilisation i.e. the "S" and "R" in "SdkRegistry" and the two capital T's in TomTom.mnu.

Also that SdkRegistry folder must be in the root of the SD card i.e. the first container you come to when you open up your SD card in explorer, DONT put it in the map folder for example.

Other than that i dont know what to suggest as i'm using it on a TT910.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd already checked all that because the HELP with the menu tool insisted on the importance of the right names. I just wondered if there were any other little "tricks".

Anyway, I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: