Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 3 Bug - Roundabouts in 3.0.25 missing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 3 Bug - Roundabouts in 3.0.25 missing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Dunno, I'm not getting the upgrade message at all now, perhaps it only comes up once ?! or PowerLOC have pulled it as they posted it in error ?!

You have to go to www.destinator1.com and click on the 'free upgrade' link
steveing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just got in checked my email and cant belive it upgrade available so i am now in the process of downloading

fingers crossed
typhoon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on steveing don't keep us all in suspence, has it been worth the wait!!... has the map been updated to show the M6 Toll?
steveing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if its got toll but few improvments but still few glitches

now tells you if its a rounabout
but when your two miles away from one and have to turn off it says three on voice but two on scren

still seems to take you round the side streets few times im manchester today

reroutes quicker

so give 5 out of ten at moment but since this is my first sat nav
maybe all take you side roads sometimes

see how i get on tommorrow :D
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Latest update Reply with quote

I have just ordered D3. It should arrive tomorrow. Does the patch effect the routing in the US? I heard it was not very good. Can anyone comment on US routing quickly please. I don't want to open the software if its going to suck. Then I cannot return it. I heard TT was also bad at routing in the US, very bad.
For US owners, can someone map a trip for me?
I want to see if its any good for my two test runs.
From 505 Baywood St
vandenberg Ca 93437
to
1) 6911 Matus, Fresno, Ca 93710
2) POI CostCo retail store in Santa Maria Ca, 934XX
Please post ASAP as I will be very tempted to open the D3 tomorrow after work!

Thus far for me IQue 3600 was best, but didn't like Palm OS or the PDA.
Then was PMN (3.03), but program isn't working correctly.
Last and worst was Teletype 12 2003 version (latest).
I'm tired of purchasing PDAs and GPS programs.
If D3 also stinks I will try TT3 to see if its better.
If anyone has TT3 USA, and could also plot the same route I would be greatly appreciative!
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word yet on the minor (in comparison) issue with roundabouts, where the exit number is omitted?
typhoon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is the reply I received from PowerLoc on the 25/03/04 with regards to the omission of the 4th exit instruction, I also told them of the audible warning error of aroundabout which is actually 2 miles
away, mistakenly saying " Take roundabout 3 miles"

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail. I have forwarded your e-mail to our QA team. They will look into it right away. Thanks.

Alice

Powerloc does seem very slow at addressing these niggly errors.
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been emailed a CAB file for the problem regarding the wrong distance to a roundabout and missing exit.

I have asked for more information to confirm its contents and how to actually install it (unless somebody can help me).

If it all works I'll upload it for everyone.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to install CAB files is to copy them to your Pocket PC (for example, using ActiveSync), then tap the CAB file in a file manager (the built in one is fine). That will install the CAB file, and automatically delete it.

So far as redistribution goes, you shouldn't assume you have permission to do so unless permission has been granted by the suppliers explicitly. If this solves the problem, feed back to the supplier that you feel they should release this update themselves.

David
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the distribution - my software firm would nuts if one our customers did this.

Well it installed (thanks for the process). All the instructions are now in the same (but new) English voice, but I have no idea if it actually fixes the problem until I approach a roundabout exactly 2 miles away and want to take the 3rd exit.

Will keep you posted.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my former employers (I'm too ill to work now) would also be upset about unofficial distribution of their code.

Particularly as you're being sent a CAB file rather than something packaged with an installer, it could well be that you've been sent an intermediate version, quite possibly one intended only for limited release for testing. You may even have been sent the latest build from the development team that hasn't really received much testing at all.

It's certainly possible that the CAB file contains software with unnecessary debugging code or is otherwise unsuitable for further release. I'd also be surprised if full release qualification has been given, especially as there's no installer.

These things are always so hard - on the one hand, everyone wants the fix, but there are situations where the rush to get a fix into customer's hands leads to mistakes. I have distinct memories from when I was still well enough to work - I was put under pressure by everyone including my own managers and affected customers to rush out a beta release, as there was what was arguably a mission-critical problem in all released software (provoked by a third-party hardware glitch, actually, but one we had to work round).

I rushed out the beta release - only to realise an hour after I'd posted out the beta discs that there was a bug in the code that upgraded the data layout that would have led to potential massive data loss.

I had to come into work early the next day and managed to get the four beta sites to throw away the faulty code, explaining to them that the program was probably OK but the upgrader wasn't (both I and my bosses had overlooked this important problem when we'd signed the beta release documentation). The problem had happened largely because it was so time consuming to test the upgrader and I'd upgraded my test server manually some weeks earlier during the test program.

I only just stopped one beta site in time, and this abortive release pushed back the eventual first beta release by over a week. We realised that before we could even make that first beta release we had to update all manner of internal documentation and hold a couple of development team meetings, also a meeting with technical support managers present, to ensure that the full ramifications of the upgrader and why it was necessary were understood.

I've also been part of an alpha test team for a company. Certain builds, even during the public beta phase, went only to the alpha testers. There were times when features appeared and disappeared again that the company didn't want made public (the alpha testers had all had to sign a formal non-disclosure agreement).

There were also times where the company wanted certain builds tested externally, but felt they were too risky, particularly in terms of potential data loss, to be made available for public download. In these cases, the company felt they needed the ability to be able to contact all the people who had access to the risky test builds directly if it proved necessary, also sometimes the point under test involved greater release of information about the internals of the program than they felt able to release publicly. All those under non-disclosure had to provide our postal addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. Alpha testers also had to provide full details of their backup arrangements, which had to be pretty robust, and provide assurances that they understood the risk of data loss involved in alpha testing.

Public betas for this product were available via anonymous FTP, so apart from a timebomb (they disabled themselves on a preset date) and the need for a valid licence code, there was little control over them once they were released.

Only the company involved can decide to release a version, or give you permission to distribute the file they've sent you to others who are affected by the problem you are.

David
typhoon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have just been emailed a CAB file for the problem regarding the wrong distance to a roundabout and missing exit.

May sound silly but I haven't a clue on how to install it onto my Ipaq 3970.

I don't understand what you mean by "file manager"

I've made a antivesync connection, then dragged the Patch from the email to my ipaq. Can anyone please help, I don't know what I should do next.

Thank you
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afriad it doesn't fix the roundabout distance - she still says 3 when she means 2. But the fix does make ALL the voice commands in the same voice now and it does the fix the exit number problem.

I would be tempted to physically swap the two wav files round...

To install just copy the CAB file onto your iPAQ (anywhere) and then double tap it when you have found it using file explorer.
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - file explorer is under programs, it's a magnifing glass ontop of a yellow folder.
typhoon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much with your help I've managed to install the patch. Once again thank you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: