Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GTM 10 FM Traffic (Fault)?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GTM 10 FM Traffic (Fault)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting - I thought the Kenwood GTM10 only came with a 3 month subscription to traffic, and you needed to purchase a lifetime sub after this - if Garmin are saying this is a firmware fault, that's interesting to note. I wasn't aware that either v4.0 or v4.1 had any subscription related fixes in them...

Are you saying you are still receiving TM messages despite the subscription being listed as expired?
gazzagadget
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are any subscription related changes in the firmware update either, I suspect they just said this to get me off the phone! I got my GTM10 from justkenwood.co.uk and their site says "comes preloaded with a lifetime subscription to the UK TrafficMaster TMC data service". My Nuvi came with a GTM12 and that was useless in my Rangie with its heated windcreen. When I first got the GTM10 it worked well, even after it said the RAC Live had expired, until firmware 4.0 caused it to keep losing lock. Version 4.1 was released soon after version 40. and the notes relating to the update just said something about it fixing an issue specific to UK recievers. Since I installed 4.1 it has not worked, the LED keeps flashing amber or red/green, it never stops scanning and the diagnostic screen shows the level fluctuating between 1 and 140! Garmin support admitted they are aware of a problem and v4.2 will be available soon and should fix it, they also said there is no way for me to go back to v3.9.....hmm
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of that, but despite what the Just Kenwood site says (which is taken from the Garmin website, not the Kenwood website, which does not mention a lifetime subscription), I think all Kenwood GTM10s only come with 3 months, although they do come with some other useful cables, such as the extender cables. Is it not possible that the lack of traffic with v4.1 is being caused by the expired subscription, or have you renewed it?
gazzagadget
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well be right. Now I've looked again the manual that came with the unit says the package provides a 90 day subscription to a pay service, it doesn't mention any lifetime subscription. If that is the case I'll be on to justkenwood tomorrow (no reply today, Sunday). Anyone out there got a working GTM10, does the lifetime subscription to Trafficmaster appear listed under the subcriptions in the traffic settings? Mine just says RAC Live (UK):Expired and TTN(US):3 month subscription.
stevie007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm still on 3.90 but I have to wait (hopefully) until Garmin update the firmware for my KNA G520 Sat-Nav via SD Card from 3.40 as of 5th Jan 07 which hopefully will include an update for the GTM 10... Crying or Very sad
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazzagadget wrote:
Now I've looked again the manual that came with the unit says the package provides a 90 day subscription to a pay service, it doesn't mention any lifetime subscription.
Yes, I managed to check a Kenwood GTM10 manual this morning, and can confirm it only talks about a 90 day subscription too.
Quote:
Anyone out there got a working GTM10, does the lifetime subscription to Trafficmaster appear listed under the subcriptions in the traffic settings? Mine just says RAC Live (UK):Expired and TTN(US):3 month subscription.
On my GTM12 (UK stock), I get RAC Live (UK): Lifetime subscription and V-Traffic: 3 month subscription - V-Traffic is the French system, the UK Garmin units get a 90 day trial to that. My gut feeling is that the Kenwood unit only comes with a 90 day sub, but a lifetime sub to TM is only $60, which is what, less than £40... Given that the Garmin GTM10 retails for roughly £150 (and is rarely available cheaper), and the Kenwood GTM10 can be picked up for between £50 and £85, even with an additional £40 it's still a cheaper overall solution.
stevie007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the Garmin Site, if this helps...

Subscription Information

In the U.S.: The GTM 10 traffic receiver comes preloaded with a 15-month trial subscription to Clear Channel TMC. To continue the service, a one-year subscription is $60.00.

In continental Europe: Basic TMC data is a free public service, accessible through a number of providers.

In Great Britain: The GTM 10 traffic receiver comes preloaded with a lifetime subscription to TrafficMaster, the cost of which is included in the price of the unit.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gtm10/
spannerman380
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all; New to this forum, but I joined for this very topic! I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 660 in the new year. I commute the M5 every day, and have found that when approaching Bristol all the displayed traffic info deletes and the No Data Found message appears, however the green 'recieving' light on the TMC reciever is lit. As this area frequently snarls up with traffic its as much use as a toffee fireguard! Travel further in any direction and the signal is restored and the traffic info flows again. Realy fed up. Sad
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spannerman380 wrote:
Hello all; New to this forum, but I joined for this very topic! I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 660 in the new year. I commute the M5 every day, and have found that when approaching Bristol all the displayed traffic info deletes and the No Data Found message appears, however the green 'recieving' light on the TMC reciever is lit. As this area frequently snarls up with traffic its as much use as a toffee fireguard! Travel further in any direction and the signal is restored and the traffic info flows again. Realy fed up. Sad

Welcome to the forum Driving

If you have been reading through all the notes about TMC you will realise that it is a far from perfect solution. When it works it is VERY good - otherwise it's about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. The concensus is that it is the poor transmitted signal strength of the FM signals that is causing the problems - that and the totally inadequate aerials supplied with the units. There are articles in these forums that show you how to improve the situation - the choice of most would be to connect the TMC aerial (in your case the bit of black 'string' that come with the GTM21) into an external aerial - either a separate one or the existing car aerial with a small booster amp. It certainly improves the chances of better reception. What you describe above would be a good example of poor signal reception. Just take pity on us in the North West - there is hardly any TMC for GARMIN users as the Winter Hill transmitter isn't transmitting the carrier. (It wasn't transmitting some DAB multiplexers at 5am today either - but they came back around 6am Smile )
Intrakota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: TMC / GTM10 Reply with quote

I have a Garmin 7200, GTM10, Nuvi 660, GTM12 and GTM21. All devices are updated using the web updater so all the traffic receivers have V4.1, the GMT12 and 21 which came with the gps units at crimble all work and appear to work ok, the GTM10 which i bought from caraudiosecurity.com (London) and was fitted by myself on the 22/1/2007 has stopped working, it says the "subscription" expired on the 22/4/2007 which as you can see is exactly 3 months up the road, so now im back on the crappy GMT12 which does actually work.
How the hell are we supposed to know which version of the unit were buying, they all have the same model number, are all the same colour, the Garmin name is on the product and it comes boxed as a Garmin GTM10 traffic receiver, how many more questions am i supposed to ask before handing over my cash, Garmin certainly DONT make it clear on the website and the uk website says nothing at all about the matter.
:x Confused Evil or Very Mad
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it actually come in a Garmin box, with pretty pictures all over the box, or did it come in a plainer white box? If it's the white box, it probably says "Kenwood" somewhere on the box. If so, Kenwood do not supply the GTM10 with a lifetime subscription to TMC data in the UK, and you need to purchase it at roughly £50. To be fair to Garmin, you bought something made by them but packaged and sold by another company.

However, you are likely to have paid £50-80 for the Kenwood version, whereas the Garmin GTM10 sells at £150, so even with the additional £50, you will still have spent less on it than buying the Garmin version.

Also, the units come with different cables in the boxes, so you may be better off than you expect.
Intrakota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: GTM10 Reply with quote

Yes it came in a white box with extra leads and all sorts but today i contacted Garmin and they couldnt understand why it wasn't working i told them the message on the screen read "subscription expired 4/22/2007" they then took a lot of details and the garmin part number on the white box and said they would call back within 48 hours. A little over 30 mins later i got a phone call saying no one had any idea why it wasn't functioning and wanted my e.mail address so they could send me the units lifetime subscription key, which they did, i entered it, the unit validated it, confirmed the key was correct and proceeded to receive nothing.
More later.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like the Kenwood unit - I've heard Garmin state that this is a firmware bug, and even the Kenwood units should come with a lifetime subscription (possibly why they've given you the code).

A lack of traffic information is unfortunately normal ;)
Intrakota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: GTM10 Reply with quote

Called Garmin again today, now there confused as to why the unit didn't respond to the subscription key, and why the Tm tab for the uk still says subscription expired 4/22/2007, there calling back later today after a good head scratching session whit the men in white coats.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Garmin have confirmed to me that there are investigating a problem with the subscription key not working, and are testing a fix, so you may have to hang on a little longer...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: