Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mini-Review of TomTom Palm T3 Navigator (Bluetooth Version)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini-Review of TomTom Palm T3 Navigator (Bluetooth Version)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Mini-Review of TomTom Palm T3 Navigator (Bluetooth Version) Reply with quote

Link to website

http://www.tomtom.com/products/products.php?ID=234&Language=1

Ok, I had waited quite a while for this, given that I have owned the system before using an Ipaq 2210 PPC and quite liked the way it worked.

I always liked Palm OS better, and the higher quality screen and CPU on this machine has at last allowed TomTom to support the Palm platform.

At the time of writing this, which is the end of Feb 2004, the system is only available to run on a Palm T3, and comes as a wired version or for about £50 more, this one which is Bluetooth. I got mine from

http://www.widget.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=45

Box Contents.

You can not knock TomTom, they really do supply a nice amount of items with their kit. You get a very small and neat GPS unit, cradle and different fixing kits, large suction cup, two different leads for power (hard wired or cigar socket), and a lead to connect up the cradle to the GPS unit so your car can power both the GPS and the T3 (you will need this, the T3 battery does not do too well...more about this later in the review).

You are also supplied with an 128mb SD card, pre-loaded with the (in my case) GB maps and application, and you really can just insert this and be up and running within seconds! The supplied CD has also got the application on it along with Major Roads of Europe support although you will need your own larger SD card to use this feature.

Quick Start.

So, all I did was put the SD card into the T3, and charge up the GPS unit, "pair" or "bond" the GPS to the Palm in the same way you already probably did with your cellphone or PC, and I was able to plan a route immediately.

Of course, most people are going to want to put this app onto their own larger SD card so you can still have ebooks and MP3 files on the one card. This is very easy to do.

All I did was copy the SD card using my card reader to my PC hard disk, and then pop it onto my 256mb SD card. You then insert this bigger card, connect up to www.ttcode.com and put your details into a form (the app supplies a "device code" on the T3 screen, and you have a serial number in your CD case), and an unlock code comes back. You can access this code anytime you need to reinstall to your T3 but I suspect the usual situation of only one extra unlock code every 180 days applies if you have to change your T3 due to faults etc.

You can use the application either portrait or landscape, although to use the latter requires downloading and installing a couple of small palm .prc files from the internet. Actually at date of writing the web address supplied in the package was not working, but a quick email to TomTom support produced the files (if anyone wants them email me at kevwright@cix.co.uk).

In use.

I quite like it in portrait mode actually, and the size of the icons and text changes depending if the app is used with slider closed or open. For me, this app works well using mainly voice prompts and I hardly ever look at the screen so I usually run it in closed portrait mode. In this mode and with the supplied flip leather cover, I find it sits in the car without needing any other support (I am in car sales and use a lot of different cars) although battery issues need to be considered.

I can not comment that much yet on the actual usage of the system, as I have only had it a few days and done the same journey :-) However, it just seems to work really well with the Tungsten. When I used this same unit with an Ipaq 2210, it used to lose Bluetooth connection every now and then and if the unit turned off (or you had Ipaq in pocket and left GPS in car for a few mins) it would need reconnection. This one just goes ahead and carries on where it left off.

Battery usage seems heavy, although I know the T3 is not great on this subject anyway. A 30 min journey takes the Palm from 100% down to 76% (although the T3 jumped back to 81% a few mins later), but then I used it quite a bit during the day, and then did same journey home, ending up with 24% left.

It seems to me that the Palm battery meter is a bit top heavy, i.e. it seems to last longer once below 50%, I don’t know if anyone else sees that?

Anyway, for in car use you will need the included charger/cradle.

Conclusion.

This is just a great product. Easy to set-up, easy to use, accurate (postcode lookup mostly works for the UK). Not that cheap at £300 ish, but for me, this is a good product and I highly recommend it. Feel free to post any questions and if I can answer them, I will.

© Kevin Wright Feb 2004
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff. It would be nice to see some screenshots, preferably of the same spot, in portrait and landscape mode, both open and closed... - any chance?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Have you tried any of the PocketGPS POIs with your new system yet? As I'm interested in whether the TomTom Palm T3 Navigator system can use the existing POIs (and BMPs) without modification.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,

Just tried putting an OV2 files in several different places on the SD card with no success :-(

Just asked TT if it can be done and how, and will get back to you here.

Looking at the SD card it lists the POIs in a big database so I wonder if they changed the format as ISTR the Palm does not have a "normal" filing system maybe that makes it impossible to have stand alone files?

Lutz, how do I do screenshots please and do I just put them inot this thread on a seperate (reply) message.......sorry, bit new to this :-)
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the reply from TomTom and it seems as if it is as I thought, different program structure entirely.

He is right to some extent, the actual program does seem to have more inbuilt POI that I recall in the PPC version.

The POI file on this version is 1.3mb

Here is the reply in full

------------------
The software for the Palm is not the same as for navigator 2. The new Palm navigation software has many more POIs available than that of navigator 2. At this time we have no instructions on third party POIs for the TomTom navigation software for Palm but keep an eye on the website for any new information once this becomes available

-----------------------
himpressive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevwright,
Thanks for the "mini" review!
I'm thinking seriously about getting the tomtom T3 package.
One question: Are you able to use the T3 in landscape mode using the supplied tomtom mount? I was thinking on buying the seidio G2500 powered gps mount which swivels 360 degrees (when the palm T3 version is released!)
And pleeeease Kev, some screen shots asap! Rolling Eyes
Essexboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: T3 in landscape mount position Reply with quote

You can use the Tomtom car mount to use the T3 in landscape position. Thumbs Up
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've got a Tungsten T3 and a Bluetooth GPS receiver I would need just the software, but I don't seem to have seen the software listed just on its own. Does anyone know whether it is available?
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This setup is now for sale, details at

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B42C231A7

Kev
garyb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem I have with this system is once I get about 5 or 6 site into my favourites the program crashes the only way I can reset is to delete the naviator file held on the palm I then lose all my favourites. Also you cannot use the TT gps and charge it at the same time or mine wont anyway
garyb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact straight after writing the last post I started my palm to look up and ad some more sites as I tried to open Navigator got the message
Fatal Alert
DataMgr.c,Line:9529,Index
out of range

Reset

I reset but still the same I now have to delete the Navigator file on the handheld and lose my favourites (Not Good) as I travell to 2 or 3 different sites each day thats upto 60 sites a month but I cant save one of them (not good not good not good) I thinks I bought a bucket of sh*t AND you cant use any of the speed camera data base's. Be aware before you buy.
cannydanny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyb

had the same problem with my t3 + tom tom nav, if you look on the tom tom website there is an update for this error, if you don't find it just email them and they will send it to you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: