Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS World Speed Cameras on Route 66 vs 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS World Speed Cameras on Route 66 vs 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Route 66 have you got installed (full number not just 6 or 7 etc) - Also what hardware are you using the software on?
I will try the latest download later on my device, but I have no trouble with speed cameras on my PDA based phone (Artemis) - Mike (sat in the sun at the NEC)
leonbp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Route 66 on Windows Smartphone Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using 7.0.2992 on anOrange SPV600 Smartphone (with the OKU2 update applied from 'factory').

When I say using, that's assuming I can get the software to start!
sc0rp9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Route 66 on Windows Smartphone Reply with quote

leonbp wrote:
I coped the files into the \Storage Card\POIS\Britain folder keeping their exiting file names. I copied the .csv and .bm files in, an it was working - ie I could pick them as POIs in the app, and set up warnings. I've had afew problems with the app in general, mainly with it starting up, especially when the GPS receiver is switched off, so have updated to the latest version from the route66 website.

Since then, I find that the presence of these files in that dir stops the app opening up, so have had to delete them all.

I've tried renaming the files to be the same as the default ones that Route 66 include, and various other little things, but nothing I've done has wored.

I emailed their support, but I may as well have walked into Dixons and asked a Saturday boy!

Many thanks nice direct answer this would explain why I cannot see the POIS as I have the latest version of Route 66 the 1095 build, oh well one day. Laughing
GraemeG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I would let all know following the questions in this thread that I have loaded and successfully installed the speed camera data base into my copy of Route66 Navigator 7.

The phone : O2 XDA Exec
Location of files : POI/Britain folder on my storage card. I had changed the names of each file to represent something else and all works fine.

Regards
Graeme
rayle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For support I have found an email to rac-satnav@nutool.co.uk is very helpful, at their request I sent my card to them on Thursday and recieved it back to day with the latest verion 7.0.2364 installed.
However POI`s relating to speed are wrong, some have the minus sign missing which puts speed limits in a field in Essex when in fact Uxbridge Road road is in Middlesex, and much to my embarrassment I blamed PocketGPSWorld in my early days, having humbly apologised since.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, as you have found cameras in fields etc. that doesn't sound to good. What device are you using if its a PPC based device or an RAC unit using Route 66 then you can use the PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera database on the device which will not have cameras in fields Wink - Mike
rayle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thankyou for the welcome.

When I first had my SatNav 110, I found this site and updated the speed camera data base.
Unfortunately I had added your database to that as supplied on the card by RAC, unaware that I had done this I reported to PGSW the errors that I found, quite a few in fact, the minus sign was missing on some of the coordinates, BUT it was me at fault and I did very humbly apologise and sat in the corner for a while after it was gently explained to me.
I was just pointing the email address for anyone with a problem, as there is very little support for this unit, the RAC forum helps where it can as indeed do some of your members.
I do now keep up to date with your database, as well as creating personal POI`s using GPS Autoroute 2007 as well.
stealthdevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed the instructions, signed up, paid and added the files.
When I start up the RAC SATNAV110, it goes to a map and just hangs. Nothing works. If I delete the files, then it works..

Am I doing something wrong? I was under the impression this is supposed to work?
slapper4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: route 66 mobile 7 smartphone safety camera database Reply with quote

this is impossible, according to Route 66 support i phoned in Holland today
unlike other versions, PDA, etc there is no facility in the smartphone version to import a speed camera database or external poi.

I asked them if they had any plans to update in future, or if there was any way of converting csv files into something the mobile 7 system would use, and as someone said earlier..

i might have well have asked a Dixons Saturday boy.

I bought mobile 7 smartphone last week as the vendor reckoned speed camera database no problem with it, but now hes refusing to accept it back. I must say however the mapping data is great and its hard to believe how smooth my nokia 7610 plots it so smooth, the GPRS traffic warning system is amazing extra too.

i will update thread if i find a solution.
Nick
leonbp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras on route66 for Windows Smartphone Reply with quote

I've still got my Orange SPV c600, and have been having some problems with route66 not opening up, and have since found out from their support that this can sometimes be caused by SMS messages in the Inbox, and not just activation key messages.

Anyway, since then, I've found copying the .csv and .bmp files into the POIS folder and setting up warnings in the application works fine.

I also noticed that Route66 themselves have created a speed camera updater application:

http://www.66.com/route66/support.php?cid=UK&sec=1&ssec=1

When I first downloaded it, I couldn't find any cameras at all, but I updated this evening, and now have duplicate cameras for the ones near my house at least (they've been there for ages).
slapper4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: route 66 mobile 7 smartphone safety camera database Reply with quote

slapper4 wrote:
unlike other versions, PDA, etc there is no facility in the smartphone version to import a speed camera database or external poi.

I asked them if they had any plans to update in future, or if there was any way of converting csv files into something the mobile 7 system would use, and as someone said earlier..

I bought mobile 7 smartphone last week as the vendor reckoned speed camera database no problem with it, but now hes refusing to accept it back. I must say however the mapping data is great and its hard to believe how smooth my nokia 7610 plots it so smooth, the GPRS traffic warning system is amazing extra too.

Nick

Update 9th August - as promised.
Right - SMARTPHONE / symbiam OS version of Mobile 7 from Route 66 does not support speed camera databases. (thats from them - absolutely) - pocket PC version/PDA does.

I have sent back and recieved full refund(less £10 post+£5 returning) from vendor, as Route 66 at my request deactivated my registration, and i had everything kept mint and unmarked. So all i can say, is dont, like me, waste a day or so trying to do the impossible but desirable.

I think i will buy another Garmin i3 or somethng small you can stuff in a pocket again

Nick
capickett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Route 66 Smartphone Windows Mobile 5 Reply with quote

Very Happy i have added the speed cameras to Route 66 on my Toshiba Portege G500 Smartphone, and it works!!
i just used the PPC instructions.
Thanks Guys
slapper4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: route 66 mobile 7 smartphone safety camera database Reply with quote

slapper4 wrote:

Nick

a couple of practical problems you should know about Mobile 7 from ROute 66 , particulalrly for smartphones is this:

1. using bluetooth GPS knocked out my bluetooth headset and viceversa as my 7610 only seems capable of one bluetooth channel(suspect most phones too??) practically i would have had to use a wired headset or noisy handsfree somehow?

2. the surfstar GPS bluetooth packaged did not accept a std nokia charger, but had its own 12v cigar adaptor. i found this a pain, esp since my cars socket fuse was blown (not that unusual) I ended up charging it, by putting it's battery in my phone /charging.

3. the bundled phone cradle looks unsightly and you have to consider the equipment disguises a safety issue: a small phone display needs to be physically closer to the eye than a larger screened satnav. this makes keeping your eye on the road more difficult as the refocussing is more tiring and keys more fiddly. in fact the whole concept is a bit flawed, since unlike most satnavs, you really cant key while driving(i know you shouldnt but we all do)

no doubt route66 were forced into bundling that cradle to offset terminal concerns about the obvios alternative which was suckering your phone onto the screen.
WiggyToo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Camera Database - Route 66 for Windows Mobile (Mobile 7 WMS) Reply with quote

Hi - followed the instructions here and it seems to work fine on my Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone. Route 66 do provide a camera database update on their site but it has about 32 cameras in it for all the 30 MPH locations, not very comprehensive.

Basically downloaded the database from here, copied to POI\Britain without changing anything, they then show up in POI anbd can POI warnings can be added usng the Route 66 menus - I haven't tested it on the orad yet but by xzooming to the camera locations on the map they do seem to be represented correctly.

The install instructiosn suggest that this has not been proven but that one other person has tried it, well it did work for me too.

Cheers,
slapper4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: smartphones & symbian & youre wrong Reply with quote

excuse me mate, but you are being silly; smartphones usually run symbian operating system like my nokia 7610.

youre phone is a non-symbian OS (and proabaly non-'smartphone') phone. i.e pocket PC or windows operating system. Im talking 'smartphones' here running symbian OS, which DEFINITELY isnt supported route66 mobile 7 poi AT ALL, ok. please dont suggest I' and Route 66 are wrong simply because you didnt bother reading the thread properly

The route 66 product that doesnt supoport POI is for symbian os, nothing else, if you read thread it should have been clear - doh!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: