Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorhome owners - what's sat reception like?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorhome owners - what's sat reception like?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Motorhome Reception Reply with quote

Have Smartnav permanently wired in to our Motorhome (Swift Royal with a fairly large overhang) Regard this as the Rolls Royce of GPS systems - no screen, no setting up - only a button to call the control centre and a speaker to advise on the route - politely! On a recent 400 mile trip, as an experiment, took my Ipaq 5550 and TomTom Navigator with a Bluetooth GPS receiver as well. Had both systems working together with absolutely no problems - the overhang made no difference at all. In fact, the only difference was that Smartnav was more polite than TTN. She says please....
broc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Motorhome reception Reply with quote

I have a 2002 Bessacarr motorhome, based upon a FIAT Ducato chassis with luton overcab bed. The side walls are GRP sandwich construction, the roof is aluminium. I am using a wired Leadtek 9531 GPS receiver connected to an IPAQ 2210 running Destinator 3. Satellite reception is fine with the GPS receiver located on the dashboard at the base of the windscreen. The only time I lose the signal is in urban 'canyons', narrow cuttings or tunnels. I have driven approx 3000 miles in the UK and in the Netherlands & Denmark with this setup since May 2004 and am very happy with my new 'Nagivator'. The same setup works in our SEAT Leon, and I am about to try it in my recently acquired Landrover Discovery Landmark TD5, it will be interesting to see if the heated front screen impacts reception.
telstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, last month i bought tomtom go 300 for my fiat/swift sundance milano,
just got back from touring scotland and it worked very well on the whole.
it lost the signal quite a few times. and gave us wrong directions on four occasions but was overall very good. have not found it needed an external antenna. hope this is of use to you. telstar. Thumbs Up
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telstar wrote:
hi, last month i bought tomtom go 300 for my fiat/swift sundance milano,
just got back from touring scotland and it worked very well on the whole.
it lost the signal quite a few times. and gave us wrong directions on four occasions but was overall very good. have not found it needed an external antenna. hope this is of use to you. telstar. Thumbs Up

The fact that you lost signal may be an indication that an external antenna could bed worth while in your install?
camperpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, we have tom tom 700 in a autosleeper clubman and it works fine, we have more trouble in my wifes scoda fabia.
pete
leeman72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: GPS in Motorhomes Reply with quote

I have a Holux 236 bluetooth gps receiver sitting on dash of my Bessacar E435 . It works fine always a minimum of seven sats.
I have just come back from The western Isles and have had no problems.
The pda is an Axim X50v running Pocket Navigator 6.

Leeman
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeman is that the one from directions uk how do you find it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
leeman72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Pocket Navigator 6 Reply with quote

Hi Alix

Yes it is.
I initally got the beta version which gave me trouble, but following some e-mails to slovakia wher it is written I got the proper version 6 and all works well It took me to every site on our trip without fail.

Leeman
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got the camera warnings working

device Lumia 950 xl
leeman72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: camera warnings Reply with quote

Hi Alix

I just put the data on yesterday and have not as yet tested it out, but it looks ok

Will let you know tomorrow

Leeman
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got what i think is a full version but cant get the cams to work at the moment

device Lumia 950 xl
arturus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably out of date---BUT---original post Oct 11 2003.
Have now chopped in aluminium luton clad Elddis Voyager for a fibreglass low profile Rapido. Still using TomTom 3 on Ipaq 3850 (with Emtac GPS Jacket)(must update one of these days)
Now no longer need external antenna--Pda and jacket on windscreen---no problems getting fix.
Have also tried it with TomTom One (Grandson's) and the fix is a lot, lot quicker and it hangs on to sats like crap to a blanket.
Although maps are a bit ancient (TT3 of course)I don't mind driving across fields as I realise that bypasses are obvious and all will come right in the end.
Happy travelling and safe roads to all
BrianM
mhazy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: No problems Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a swift Milano with overhang cab, use a Garmin310d with tmc

No problems at all worked oout the box with no extra arial

Mike
johnaerial
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: SAT NAV RECEPTION IN A MOTORHOME Reply with quote

Lots of questions and answers regarding sat nav reception in a motorhome. I have a large A Class with drop down bed. I mount my sat nav - a Becker on the side window just beyond the steering wheel and it never misses a beat. No need for external aerials and the screen is just inches from your hand.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: