Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom/pda keeps prompting for gps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom/pda keeps prompting for gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linus1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: tomtom/pda keeps prompting for gps Reply with quote

hi guys

just looking for a bit of help with my tomtom software/bluetooth setup.

i brought a pda (with windows pocket pc 2003) last summer and a seperate bluetooth gps device. i have tomtom nav 5 on the pda. following instructions provided with the gps device and from the tomtom web site i setup everything successfully.

when ever i loaded the tomtom software, the pda's bluetooth software would kick in and ask for gps unit and i would have to click on the gps device to link it to tomtom and then it would work. this was annoying because sometimes i just wanted to look a t the map without having the gps unit and it would keep asking for the gps device, but i just thought it was normal.

anyway, one day i was having a play around and changed something by accident, and it stopped coming up with the bluetooth connection prompt. it would connect straight away if the gps unit is turned on, and not prompt for it when turned off. great.

only now ive had problems with my pda and had to restore factory default settings. ive set everything up again but cannot for the life of me remember what i did to stop it keep asking for the gps device. ive gone through all the bluetooth settings on the pda and the settings in tomtom, but i am obviously missing something.

hope this makes snese! its probably something simple, but i cant find anything in these forums about it, does anyone have any ideas.

any help is appreciated.

thanks
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this applies to WM2003 however on WM2005 on a number of devices I have seen similar problems/symptoms if the 'Secure Connection' is checked on the Outgoing Port settings for the GPS. If you've got this option try unchecking it and see if that helps.

The Secure Connection function exists, I believe, to stop device spoofing however it appears that it can also work against itself by suddenly losing your existing connection hence prompting you to repair.

Anyway, speculation aside, try unticking it (if you've got that option) and see if it helps - for a GPS device there is nothing to be gained from having it enabled anyway.

Mathew
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading your post I think I may have misunderstood your problem. I thought you were having issues with the device asking for a re-pairing despite you already being connected to the GPS however it looks like you've simply got an issue where it refuses to give up asking for a GPS when one hasn't been connected (paired).

Sorry about that!

Mathew
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read the entire post before actually doing anything!

Delete the existing Bluetooth Bond between the PDA and GPS unit go to Bluetooth Manager tap and hold the GPS Icon and from the pop-up select "Delete".

Now create a new one from scratch:
Power off then on the GPS unit and in Bluetooth Manager select "New"
Pick "Explore a Bluetooth Device", and from the resultant list select the GPS unit, make sure you select SPP Slave.

Once you have done this tap and hold the GPS icon in Bluetooth Manager, from the pop-up select "Connect" under the GPS icon there should now be two small green arrows.

Now start TomTom application go to Change Preferences/ Show GPS Status and tap the "Configure" button, use the next page arrows to locate the "Other Bluetooth GPS Receiver" and select it.

As you already have the connection established select "Continue" and choose the outgoing Com port from the list. Job done, the TomTom application will now start/ stop the Bluetooth radio with the application.

If you are trying to use the TomTom software without the GPS running you have two choices, either switch on the GPS unit so the software can find it or, configure the unit as Other NMEA GPS Receiver" pick a Baud rate (9600 for example) and choose Com 0 - this will stop the software trying to find the GPS via Bluetooth, BUT you will have to switch the settings back to use it with the GPS. - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: