Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 24v Input Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

24v Input Query
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketroy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: 24v Reply with quote

hi,
i have an iCN 610 and that works off 24v with no problems at all!
i use it in my 05 Renault Magnum,
cbbella
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tt5 on my mobile phone in my truck with no problems but i did have a problem with my 7" LCD tv by roadstar, i plugged it into the cigarette socket in the truck which i thought was 12v and it blew my tv. when i rang a repair centre they told me that even though the tv cable was fused the 24volts still got through to the tv before eventually blowing the fuse in the tv cable
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a trucker and I drive a 04 Daf 85, this unit only has a 24volt lighter socket. All my navigation equipment is dual 12/24 volt rated and works fine.

When I was an agency driver I remember using a 12v rated power supply which I bought from Maplins on my laptop. An hour into my journey and the power supply started smoking and smelt like it was burning, I quickly removed the plug from the socket. Further inspection revealed no damage to the laptop but the power supply was well and truly fried and the worrying part was that the fuse in the power supply didn’t even blow.

Eventually I would like to purchase a pocket PC to replace my laptop system. But as far as I know none of the Pocket PC’s has dual 12/24 volt usage.

Does anyone know of any Pocket PC’s that have dual 12/24 volt input as standard?

I can get around the problem by lugging my 24v inverter around. But I’d rather not!
Lowbridge-Speed Camera Data
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing some research and the following system seems to show some promise-:

Pocket PC -: HEWLETT PACKARD IPAQ RX 1950 COLOUR HANDHELD PREMIUM PC from PC world www.pcworld.co.uk price Inc vat £187.23 online

Vehicle mount: HP rx1950 H4150 H4155 car mounting kit with speakers 12/24 volt
From www.handnav.co.uk/ £39.99

GPS Receiver-: not decided yet but I may stick with a cable one, as all that messing about with batteries with blue tooth receivers seems a pain. I already have an awesome Pharos Gps receiver for my laptop. I heard I can get a cable to modify it to work with a pocket PC, I will investigate this

Software-: Either Co-pilot live or infomap Pocket Navigator 6 for PocketPC because the ability to choose road types in either software is very important to me as a trucker. I love navigator on the Laptop and if the handheld version is as good I will go for that.
The price is decent too.
I am avoiding tom tom because although it’s great for cars it’s route calculation is abysmal for trucks. imho

Any comments or recommendations on my choices?
Lowbridge-Speed Camera Data
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arkon mount for ipaq 2490 is 12/24 v I have used this for a few months now with no problems.
Also if you don't want a powered mount Maplins do a 12/24v car adapter with assorted connectors one of which fits nicely into the ipaq charging plug, and has a variable output for £9.99
Hope this helps

theripper
thenudehamster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any help, several guys at work have TomToms (including me with a 510) and a couple have Garmins; all are 24v compatible with no problems. Normal voltages for 12v systems are 13.6 - 14.2 when the alternator is running, and approximately double for 24v systems; add a tolerance factor and you'll get around 18v and 35v respectively as the maximum level tolerable by the PSU.
How it deals with the input voltage depends on the internal construction of the PSU - transformer/inverter and simple resistive arrangements will not tolerate the wrong input voltage properly; regulated ones will.

On the subject of using a 12v adapter on 24v, and it not blowing the fuse, this is perfectly understandable. At 24v, to produce the same output current, you'd only be using half the input current; the fuse wouldn't even get to its working current, let alone the fusing current, until the internal components finally melted and shorted.

Incidentally, I did find that using a 12v heated coffee cup on 24v kept the coffee well hot - but melted the plastic internals of the cup when it was less than half-full...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenudehamster wrote:
At 24v, to produce the same output current, you'd only be using half the input current;
Not strictly true. In the DC to DC conversion used in PND adapters, a Constant Voltage Regulator is used.

This is the easiest, and cheapest, way to drop a voltage from 12/24V to 5V.

The Regulator is on a Heatsink and, when used at 12V, drops 7V worth of what ever current you are drawing from the 5V output. At 24V the Regulator has to dissipate 19V at the same current.

In both cases the Input Current = Output Current + any overhead in the Control Circuit.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
J1mmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used tomtom and navman, both original in car chargers are rated input:DC10V ~ 35V and both worked no problems in both our car and my truck. The Navman charger is actually marked as such, but not tomtom, though their web site clearly states it will work on 24V.

I have just bought a PDA - Acer N35 - and am trying to find out if the in car charger will work on 24V as well............

As a recovery truck driver, I need to have details of car and commercial garages, as well as the bridge heights etc, so opted for the PDA as I can store details in the outlook contact list, and navigate to them direct from contacts.

I have a duff memory card (damn PDA only arrived today too!), so cannot set it up for gps yet - I have tomtom navigator 6 to put on, any thoughts on its use? - is it good, mediocre or what?

Cheers,
Jim
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been using it for a good few months and its one of the best on the market at the moment as an all round application if you on heavy recovery use it as a moving map most hgv places are easy to get to if in a puddle jumper set it as the hgv limited speed 54 mph in the planning preferences

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a garmin 2720 It only is meant for 12vdc I need to get a voltage dropper to use it in a truck that only has a 24 volt cigarette adapter I found this one http://www.roadking.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=202 does any one know if this would be ok ?

I was looking for something heavy duty but couldn’t find anything that had the rite connections only this on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/zetagi-r20amp-24v-to-12v-voltage-dropper-new_W0QQitemZ170069566836QQihZ007QQcategoryZ108854QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

(I suppose I could make connections but didn’t really want to be getting into any thing like that)

I also thought of using an inverter and using the mains power adapter to power it, I found this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLINV150slash24.html I think the inverter option might offer the most protection but I many be wrong.

Any advice would be most appreciated?
deltabravo61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the RoadKing dropper to run a cd player and a Navman iCN 530 together, it works just fine though the fan has become quite noisy since I dropped it out of the truck Embarassed
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry oldboy - most power supplies these days are switchers. Linear ones such as you describe just produce too much heat. Take a typical PND - 1-2 amp @5V on a linear supply is 14-9 = 9V drop = 9-18 Watts. Hot enough to burn someone on any heat sink smaller than a small dinner plate.

Most 12V auto power supplys will have enough tolerance to survive 24V, BUT some won't survive the spikes produced when satting etc. You can easily purchase a 24V-5V adapter if needed, as far as the PND/PDA is concerned 5V is 5V. Make sure the current rating is at least as high as the original, and the voltage is the same.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of pda/pnd chargers state 12-30v input and will survive starting spikes

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: