Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom smartens up its image...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom smartens up its image...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: TomTom smartens up its image... Reply with quote

After a number of years with the two red handed icon TomTom has decided to revamp its image and change its brand to "reflect its expanding position and portfolio".

For those of us who like the ol' red hands don't worry too much as they have been retained in the new corporate icon, though they can now be seen wrapped around a globe... Is this the start of global domination?? I seem to remember a wireless network in CeBIT a couple of years ago called "TomTom dominates the World", now we have a global theme to the TomTom brand...

TomTom Press Release wrote:
TomTom Refreshes Corporate Identity
to Reflect Its Expanding Position and Portfolio

5 February 2007, London: TomTom, the world’s largest navigation solution provider, today unveils its new corporate identity with a new logo.

The new identity retains all of TomTom’s unique brand values for consumers. At the same time it better reflects the full portfolio of navigation, tracking & tracing and traffic solutions that TomTom offers consumers, businesses and governments.

The logo is an evolution of the current logo and consists of the word ‘TomTom’ spelled in black, capitalised letters and features TomTom’s famous red hands embracing a transparent ball.

“TomTom has become a well-established global company and the leading brand in portable navigation solutions in just a few years, says Alexander Ribbink, TomTom’s Chief Operating Officer. “The new logo reflects these changes and symbolises TomTom’s care for its customers, its hands-on mentality and its passion for the best, high quality navigation products and services. It also supports our continued expansion into new markets like fleet management and traffic solutions, whilst strengthening our position as the most preferred navigation brand by consumers.”

Starting in March, the new logo will gradually be introduced in all materials.

Octavianus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: outside shining, inside... Reply with quote

what a crap. for us as already users, no difference if there is a new logo of TT or any logo at all. Only thing that counts is updated map and data and expansion into new areas. Where are Baltics? Where are Russia and Ukraine? All these are important new markets for logistics, tourism etc.

New users MAYBE will see the shiny logo and think TT is the best.
And I have to admit.. they are right.. others are even worse in terms of coverage!

But still I suggest TT should not give up the leading position and should start working faster and better
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to be defensive of TomTom here, but the same applies to all the providers. TomTom are not the people responsible for the maps, that is the domain of the mapping companies Teleatlas and Navteq.

Obviously TomTom can put pressure on these companies to update their maps, but they are trying to get as much done as is physically possible. It takes time to get quality mapping. Neither TomTom or any other company will want to release new mapping regions with partial or inaccurate data.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: outside shining, inside... Reply with quote

Octavianus wrote:
.....Where are Russia and Ukraine?

Just to the east from Germany... :-)
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: outside shining, inside... Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Octavianus wrote:

But how on earth did you know that if they're not on GPS maps? Laughing
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: outside shining, inside... Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Eldar wrote:
Octavianus wrote:

But how on earth did you know that if they're not on GPS maps? Laughing

This knowledge is passed down the generations..... And I've never needed a map when going to Moscow - a plane ticket is always quite sufficient.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really must be getting cynical in my old age. I am ALWAYS very suspicious when a company finds (feels, or is conned into believing) that it needs to spend so much time, effort, and money on its image, rather than letting its products/service/reputation do it for them.

Call it coincidence, but whenever a company I have had any involvement with has re-branded, with the single exception of a company where the image was totally inappropriate for the field it had developed/expanded into (it being based upon the company's original business which was no longer a significant part of their current or future direction) a change in branding has usually been followed by a fall in the company's fortunes. However, with TomToms rapid growth in a rapidly growing market, it will probably be impossible to get a realistic idea of what effect this change has made - that is unless we see a significant fall in their market share - when it will have been a monumental failure.

After all, what they have done in the past, was sufficient to get them to the position of market leader (I won't get into the argument of which is the best product as that is a totally different matter) so judging the effect of the chage (other than negitively) will be rather difficult.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I really must be getting cynical in my old age. I am ALWAYS very suspicious when a company finds (feels, or is conned into believing) that it needs to spend so much time, effort, and money on its image, rather than letting its products/service/reputation do it for them.

I agree absolutely and as I've always said that there are two things to TomTom - software interface and aggressive marketing. If only Garmin could change their GUI to something more user-friendly or Mio managed to get their devices in the high-street shops TT would be facing a much stiffer competition.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Or CoPilot sorted out the routing algorithms, and improved the safety camera interace to match (or better) the one in TomTom.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I prefer the old logo and lowercase font.

I'm going to call the new logo either "fortune-teller" or "crystal ball", as it (the new logo) looks like the hands of a fortune-teller waving over a crystal ball. This kinda gives the impression that that TomTom has lost the way and is seeking advice from the mystic rather than science.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

I'm going to call the new logo either "fortune-teller" or "crystal ball"...
..... yes.... "carpe " "tom-for-tit" or should it be "tit for tom" - my English is a bit rusty?
joni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumour has it there is a special logo for HP2210 users wishing to upgrade to NAV 6 ;)

:D:D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

I'm going to call the new logo either "fortune-teller" or "crystal ball", as it (the new logo) looks like the hands of a fortune-teller waving over a crystal ball. This kinda gives the impression that that TomTom has lost the way and is seeking advice from the mystic rather than science.

Regards,

To me it looks more like an attempt at world domination ("my hands on your world") and comes over as a tiny little bit suspicious.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
pharmamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: TomTom logo update Reply with quote

I don't give a s**t for their logo, if they want to update their image they need to update their attitude to customer service! And its old-fashioned values that they need, not modernised ones.

Mike
justclox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Not wanting to be defensive of TomTom here, but the same applies to all the providers. TomTom are not the people responsible for the maps, that is the domain of the mapping companies Teleatlas and Navteq.

With respect I suggest that this is only "partly true". I had an old sat nav unit installed in my car. This was able to differentiate between roads not wide enough for my car and suitable roads. I then changed to a Garmin unit and this took great delight in sending me on diversions down lanes where the hedges scraped both sides of my car, only to rejoin the road I had been on previously. It could (or would not) keep to sensible routes or roads.

I now have a Tom tom GO 910 and was told (before I bought it!) that it could and did differentiate between unsuitable narrow lanes and other "A" and "B" roads. Apparently it is not able to do this simple task. This is not, I suggest the responsibility of the map makers to produce a reliable interpretive piece of software to read their maps but the sole responsibility of the sat nav makers?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: