Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Submission Guidelines - POI database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Submission Guidelines - POI database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT'S clever....

I was going to say "But what you've just done is the exact opposite of what you asked for"... i.e. Name of POI (Wickes, Homebase etc), followed by address.

BUT.... (and I'm going to spell this out in case people don't quite follow what's clever here...)

If I now download JUST the Homebase stores as a single POI file, when I select the "Homebase" POI category and view them as a list on the "Find" screen, all it shows is the Town: -
Hayes
Ruislip
Isleworth
etc.
Exactly what you want.

If, however, I combine them with other companies (I did Homebase and Wickes as a test) and download it: when I look at THAT list, it says:-
Hayes, Homebase
Ruislip, Homebase
Ruislip, Wickes
etc.
Again, exactly what you want!

so the details in the files are being changed, depending on whether it is a single or merged download!

I take my hat off to you gents.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Now THAT'S clever....

I was going to say "But what you've just done is the exact opposite of what you asked for"... i.e. Name of POI (Wickes, Homebase etc), followed by address.

BUT.... (and I'm going to spell this out in case people don't quite follow what's clever here...)

If I now download JUST the Homebase stores as a single POI file, when I select the "Homebase" POI category and view them as a list on the "Find" screen, all it shows is the Town: -
Hayes
Ruislip
Isleworth
etc.
Exactly what you want.

If, however, I combine them with other companies (I did Homebase and Wickes as a test) and download it: when I look at THAT list, it says:-
Hayes, Homebase
Ruislip, Homebase
Ruislip, Wickes
etc.
Again, exactly what you want!

so the details in the files are being changed, depending on whether it is a single or merged download!

I take my hat off to you gents.

Once again, the credit should go to Lutz Smile As you say, by appending the subcategory name to the POI data when a "combined" download is requested, Lutz has provided exactly what we require ;)

Richard
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a pest again, but having re-downloaded the combined DIY shop POIs again, I've changed my mind...
What we get now ISN'T quite what I think we need, or what you say you want as the submission format.

If you download a single category, then you want to see the town name then full address - which is what I think you get

but if you make a combined one, don't you want the Brand first (Homebase, Wickes etc.) then the town name, then the address?

Is that possible (or desirable)?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
but if you make a combined one, don't you want the Brand first (Homebase, Wickes etc.) then the town name, then the address?

Is that possible (or desirable)?
You mean like I do in my combined Petrol POI?

As an example, of course.Smile

I have always questioned the need for the address, but whatever .....

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just managed to download a set of combined POIs (Fuel), within reason these seem to be formated ok, i.e. morrisons, Tesco,etc then location the only misgivings i have is that at least a couple show Jet or another brand first which is ok, then show garage name and no location, personally i am not interested in name but more need of location so that I can see if on my route and not in opposite direction, in principle apart from the couple this seems an ideal way to me.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
but more need of location so that I can see if on my route and not in opposite direction,
I don't know which Device you use, but if it is a TomTom you can find it out from Find Alternative | Travel Via | Point of Interest.

Assuming you have a destination set.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a PDA Mio168, but the point i was trying to make is that some POIs are being submitted with only the name and sometimes a street name and no indication of location which makes it very difficult to plan particullary when in a strange place.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have now downloaded combined shopping, but 3 seperate renamed downloads, combine in PoiEdit then save back to Pda, not really an ideal way on an expanding database, but back to format, Combined files show shop name, iether street or town, The street may handy when multiple shops in same town i.e.Coop and town only where single multiples in town i.e. focus etc, personally i fimd this format ideal
Paul_Hanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: International Dial Code Does Not Work Reply with quote

Hi Richard (Oldie)

On a recent holiday I discovered that both my PDA/phone which has TomTom v6 installed and on a friend's TomTom 910 with bluetooth connection to his phone, the prefix of +44 gets translated to the phones as 44 only without the +. Try it and see. When you click on the category and the place, the number just says 441444******. No + is mentioned. This means that the number comes up as unobtainable.

I noticed that TomToms own POI have the + displayed on the screen just before you hit the dial key.

Could I suggest that if the + key is a problem to solve, why not just change all +'s to 00. I'm sure Lutz could do this as a batch file. At present you have to write the number down and then dial it in manually to the phone. This problem occurs in all POIs on your site.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: International Dial Code Does Not Work Reply with quote

Paul_Hanson wrote:
Hi Richard (Oldie)

On a recent holiday I discovered that both my PDA/phone which has TomTom v6 installed and on a friend's TomTom 910 with bluetooth connection to his phone, the prefix of +44 gets translated to the phones as 44 only without the +. Try it and see. When you click on the category and the place, the number just says 441444******. No + is mentioned. This means that the number comes up as unobtainable.

I noticed that TomToms own POI have the + displayed on the screen just before you hit the dial key.

Could I suggest that if the + key is a problem to solve, why not just change all +'s to 00. I'm sure Lutz could do this as a batch file. At present you have to write the number down and then dial it in manually to the phone. This problem occurs in all POIs on your site.

I have never been able to test the use of the 44 code myself as my Virgin Pay As You Go SIM always errors if I try. Only the straightforward 01234123456 will work for me, so I will see if another Moderator or one of the PGPSW team can do some tests for us.

Richard
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Oldie wrote:
Even simple things like phone numbers have to be edited into the +441234123456 format

Guilty as charged! Embarassed

Maybe I was right all along! Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get errors using any of the following sim cards:

O2 Contract
O2 PAYG
T-Mobile Contact
T-Mobile PAYG

Same error in each case, the network refuses the phone number as dialed and + sign at the start of the number is not displayed on the phones screen.
If I use an inbuilt POI the + sign transfers to the phone and the number dials fine.
If I create a POI on the 910 then use the 910 to add the phone number thus +441253123456 this works and dials out fine. - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one question the need for international phone numbers, surely the majority of people dial phone numbers within the country they are located, probable exeption phoning home number which surely is easiest putting in own phone directory, Lets not forget that the primary function of a GPS is navigation not a phone directory, although admittedly a phone directory is a usefull secondary function.
Paul_Hanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the primary function of any POI is to locate it via a GPS, it can be extremely useful to have the telephone number as well. For instance on the resent holiday where I found the + sign didn't work, we wanted to find a pub near to our current location that served food. Having found a pub I then wanted to book a table. Having the number already intergrated with the POI meant I saved myself money on not having to phone directory enquiries at their premium rates. As more and more GPS units are being build into Smartphones / PDA phones and integrated bluetooth functionality into units such as the TomTom, I feel that the telephone number of a POI is as essential as the POI itself. Why waste money on petrol having to drive somewhere only to find they don't sell what you want or aren't open.

I agree with aj2052 that the international code probably isn't needed but if the general consensus is that it is, then just go for 0044 rather than +44.

As mikealder has confirmed what I found, is the problem the way the POI have been put together or is it some other problem?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The international code format is of major use, as the POI database grows to include other countries etc, the inclusion of the international number allows calls to be made using the POI file from/ to any country.

It is the format that is incorrect, if you change the number from +441234567890 to (greater than symbol)441234567890 you will find the number works (Thanks to Oldboy for spotting that one).
The (greater than symbol) is added by the device automatically if you create your own POI on the device and enter a phone number +441234567890, then open the created POI file using POIEdit or Tyre you can see the correct number format.
The current PGPSW files bring up the following format (greater than symbol)+441234567890 which doesn't work - if the + sign is removed the problem is solved - Note I connot type the greater than symbol as the PHP doesn't allow this to be entered, its shift . on my keyboard - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: