Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One V's I3 & A Few Questions..........
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One V's I3 & A Few Questions..........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has yet mentioned the most significant difference between i3 and TT1 - the clarity of TomTom's 3D display. The equivalent display on the i3 is far too small and jumbled to be able to pick out much detail at complex junctions. To me this even more important than the greater convenience of touch screen entry on TomTom
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Good point there Robin! Having just travelled over 600 miles in the last three days, I have decided that I certainly prefer the larger 3D view, and I also like the way it zooms right in on roundabouts etc. and virtually tracks you going round... very accurate positioning!

It did prompt me to try and turn around a bit more often than I would have liked though, although it would eventually realise that I had no intention of following its advice!

I almost started to miss the i3 telling me that it was 'recalculating' as the 'One' often performs this operation so quickly, if you should happen to deviate from its suggested route, that it is all too easy to miss it actually doing so!

Thanks also to 'Aitch' for the very useful looking link. I haven't had a chance to actually install it yet, but I presume it does work as advertised, and that it doesn't require a working knowledge of Linux to set it up for use here in the UK?

David
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, if anyone wants voices look at my 'www'...
rory1968
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
btw, if anyone wants voices look at my 'www'...

Cheers mate for voices,really cool stuff!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just put de niro and elvis up..the elvis one is really good...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't most of these copyrighted "paid-for" voices?
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montala wrote:
Thanks also to 'Aitch' for the very useful looking link. I haven't had a chance to actually install it yet, but I presume it does work as advertised, and that it doesn't require a working knowledge of Linux to set it up for use here in the UK?

David

"Yes" and "No" - it'll work just fine with the default command script they supply.

Aitch
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:
Montala wrote:

"Yes" and "No" - it'll work just fine with the default command script they supply.

Thanks Aitch... I will give it a try.

If a bit of code is all that is required I am surprised that TomTom haven't yet included it in a firmware update... perhaps they will do so in due course.
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montala wrote:
If a bit of code is all that is required I am surprised that TomTom haven't yet included it in a firmware update... perhaps they will do so in due course.

Maybe they deliberately hold back on features so that the more expensive units seem better spec'd

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:

Maybe they deliberately hold back on features so that the more expensive units seem better spec'd

You could be right there... looking at the way the prices for the new ONE seem to be going up rather than down at the moment, I reckon they are probably quite happy with their sales quota as it is, without having to add any additional features.

At least we now have the chance to add this one ourselves!
JB101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another i3 to TT One v2 (Europe) here:

The Tom Tom is in a different league. The display is very clear and though I never really had a beef about the scroll wheel input of the Garmin once you've tried the touchscreen there's no going back.

I swear the TT keeps up with me and scrolls faster than my i3 as well.

I have installed the PGPS Speed Cams and they work well. The voices are good too and the instructions at complex junctions are much clearer than the Garmin gave.

At present have found a few mini-roundabouts that are not recognised but these tend to be those where there was a corner with a T junction and now there's an RB so if you stay on the main course (easy to see on the large display) you can't go wrong. If you do it recalculates instantly.

But by FAR the best TT feature is the way you can navigate round traffic or road closures on the fly. That's really really impressive. You can tell the TT to avoid any waypoint or road on your route so you're halfway through your journey and suddenly the Police shut the A1234. Just pull over (safety first) tap the screen, and input the road/junction/town you want to avoid. And you're off again on the fastest route to your destination avoiding the problem.

Downsides?

The day/night scheme but thanks to the link above I shall hopefully get it automated. None other so far, glad I switched.

JB101
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB101 wrote:

At present have found a few mini-roundabouts that are not recognised but these tend to be those where there was a corner with a T junction and now there's an RB so if you stay on the main course (easy to see on the large display) you can't go wrong.

The old v5 maps I was using until a few days ago, had NO mini-roundabouts at all! I assumed it was a policy decision by TeleAtlas or TomTom for some unknown reason.
Haven't used the new v6 maps enough yet to see whether anything has changed.
I did think, when TomTom announced the new maps and said something like "1500 new roundabouts added in Europe", maybe they've just put all the mini-RBs on, that should have been there before!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think mini roundabouts are classed as roundabouts as such, as previously said they are normally situated at 't' junctions and are only about 2 foot in diameter..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: