Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 not letting me set the exact address as destination
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 not letting me set the exact address as destination
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: i3 not letting me set the exact address as destination Reply with quote

My i3 is on 3.2 and v7 of the Australian maps (new version mailed to me recently). The last 2 times I have tried to set a street address as a destination, it ends up offering nearby addresses, but not the exact address

For example, if I ask for something like 200 Example Rd, it offers 203, and 198. Of course this gets me close enough, but I am puzzled why it can't get it exactly.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database is not 100% accurate and there are errors in it all over. One local postcode gives me the wrong road completely!

I use my i3 on a daily basis and find at least one example like your a week (i.e. looking for number 15 and it offers 14, 16, 18, 20 etc)

I have double checked the postcode with the Post Office http://www.royalmail.com/ but errors occur....
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The database is not 100% accurate and there are errors in it all over. One local postcode gives me the wrong road completely!

I use my i3 on a daily basis and find at least one example like your a week (i.e. looking for number 15 and it offers 14, 16, 18, 20 etc)

I have double checked the postcode with the Post Office http://www.royalmail.com/ but errors occur....

I see. That's a bit disappointing. You'd think if it knew numbers in the same street, it could extrapolate the ones in between. Anyway, what were the people who made the maps thinking? Why would you store the coordinates of one house in a street, but not it's neighbour?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'd think if it knew numbers in the same street, it could extrapolate the ones in between.

Sometimes odd numbered houses have different postcodes to the even numbers so it won't work like that.

Quote:
Anyway, what were the people who made the maps thinking? Why would you store the coordinates of one house in a street, but not it's neighbour?

I'd think about the scale of the data they are handling. Errors will happen.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear in mind, also, that no where in the advertisements / sales literature does it say that it will take you directly to the house that you want. they advertise as being able to locate a specific post code - a post code is typically an area as opposed to a certain house. the people that do the maps are the ones to blame really...!

still, it's not difficult once you get to a road to simply look for the number you require.

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffrr wrote:
You'd think if it knew numbers in the same street, it could extrapolate the ones in between. Anyway, what were the people who made the maps thinking? Why would you store the coordinates of one house in a street, but not it's neighbour?

The Garmin knows about the house numbers at each intersection and it extrapolates that to guess where the house numbers inbetween might be.

House numbers are usually numbered evenly on one side of the road and odd on the other side. It is likely that from time to time the maps Garmin uses doesn't have house number information for the side of the road you want (say Even numbers) but it does for the other side of the road (odd numbers).

So as a compromise, it offers you a choice of the numbers it does know about (probably on the wrong side of the road) to hopefully get you close to your destination but without making a 100% commitment that it knows where the house number is.
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
You'd think if it knew numbers in the same street, it could extrapolate the ones in between.

Sometimes odd numbered houses have different postcodes to the even numbers so it won't work like that.

Interesting, because a post lower down says that IS how it works. I must admit, I did wonder whether they did every single house.
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
ffrr wrote:
You'd think if it knew numbers in the same street, it could extrapolate the ones in between. Anyway, what were the people who made the maps thinking? Why would you store the coordinates of one house in a street, but not it's neighbour?

The Garmin knows about the house numbers at each intersection and it extrapolates that to guess where the house numbers inbetween might be.

So it does work like that. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

House numbers are usually numbered evenly on one side of the road and odd on the other side. It is likely that from time to time the maps Garmin uses doesn't have house number information for the side of the road you want (say Even numbers) but it does for the other side of the road (odd numbers).

So as a compromise, it offers you a choice of the numbers it does know about (probably on the wrong side of the road) to hopefully get you close to your destination but without making a 100% commitment that it knows where the house number is.

Makes some sense.
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
bear in mind, also, that no where in the advertisements / sales literature does it say that it will take you directly to the house that you want. they advertise as being able to locate a specific post code - a post code is typically an area as opposed to a certain house. the people that do the maps are the ones to blame really...!

still, it's not difficult once you get to a road to simply look for the number you require.

MaFt

I agree that it gets you close enough. I don't remember seeing any info that says postcode only though. In fact, the manual instructs you to enter a full address, and to anyone reading it, this implies it will take you there. Frankly if it couldn't at least get me the right street, it would be unfit for purpose.

As for blaming the mapping people, well, Garmin sold me the maps!
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffrr wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

I agree that it gets you close enough. I don't remember seeing any info that says postcode only though. In fact, the manual instructs you to enter a full address, and to anyone reading it, this implies it will take you there. Frankly if it couldn't at least get me the right street, it would be unfit for purpose.

As for blaming the mapping people, well, Garmin sold me the maps!

After posting, I wondered if you mean the same thing as I do when you use the term 'postcode'. In Australia, a postcode is an area as big as a whole suburb, and certainly, not close enough for a street directory type navigator.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry what i think i meant was one end of the road can have a different postcode to another. Not opposite sides...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffrr wrote:
After posting, I wondered if you mean the same thing as I do when you use the term 'postcode'. In Australia, a postcode is an area as big as a whole suburb, and certainly, not close enough for a street directory type navigator.

ah, right! sorry, i'd assumed your postcodes were the same as ours! a uk postcode covers one side of a single street (except in really really remote areas where it may cover a whole village) - hence my comments!!

sorry ;)

MaFt
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
ffrr wrote:

ah, right! sorry, i'd assumed your postcodes were the same as ours! a uk postcode covers one side of a single street (except in really really remote areas where it may cover a whole village) - hence my comments!!

sorry ;)

MaFt

No worries. We both learned something. I asked some people at work today who came from the UK and they told me the same as you just did. Sounds like a better postal system than ours.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a uk postcode covers one side of a single street

So i was right then when i said ...

Quote:
Wildie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we put in the full postcode and number for our home it puts our house on the wrong side of the street, the unit gets me with in the general area as some places we vist do not have a number.
best one todate was inputting postcode for border village england wales under england did not find it, used wales for country up it popped, pressed show on map says its in england.
we don`t expect 100% from a unit that sub 100 quid it gets us there.
Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: