Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do they work straight out of the box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do they work straight out of the box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Do they work straight out of the box Reply with quote

Hello

Since finding these forums i have spent hours trying to get an understanding of GPS and sat navigation, I have read other peoples trials and trivulations and while i am convinced this is the way to go i have some concerns.

I have a second user Ipaq 3950 along with the following kit on order

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=306

but what concerns me is whether this set up "Works straight out of the box", These forums cover problem after problem and as i know absolutely nothing only what i have learned here, i am worried that
life is not going to be as simple as i imagine,

I just want to plug it in and go, can life be this simple, or is GPS fraught with problems as these forums suggest. Do people get these problems cuz they "mess" to improve performance or is Sat Nav just not 100%

Pgchimp
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good package. It won't work 'out of the box' because you'll first have to install the application to your iPAQ and copy the maps data to a storage card (you do have a storage card don't you?).

Don't be put off by all the problems, few of us ever post to say things work fine hence the disspraportionate number of posts from users with problems. And we're here to help if you do get stuck Thumbs Up
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Question re memory cards Reply with quote

Hi Darren

thanks for the reply, hopefully all will go well, one further question regarding memory cards, The PDA comes with an HP 128 meg card, but the question i have is.

I have a Canon C5 Poweshot digital camera, this has the following memory cards
1 Canon branded/02Sandisk 32meg cf1 card
2 x Fujibranded compact 256meg cf1 cards

If I format these are they compatable with the Ipaq 3950 or do i need to purchase another type of card for the PDA

Many thanks
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pgchimp,

The cards you've got will work - no need to format them either.

DinAlt
martymouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pgchimp

I ordered exactly the same kit, from the same place, to connect to my Pocket Loox in early January- so I am only a little less of a 'virgin' at this than you are.

The good news was that it worked straight out the box. I just followed the instructions. I have also used a few different brand cards (SD and CF) in the Loox and they all worked with TomTom.

The TomTom mount is top notch and I have a neat, reliable set up with virtually no effort. I made a conscious effort not to get involved with Bluetooth - it seemed more fraught than i wanted (though it is true, no-one really posts to say it just worked fine).

Any problems I have faced seem to be related to the Loox rather than general problems. My major(?) problem is that I have to make sure the GPS has a fix and TomTom is started on the Loox before I put it in the cradle for the first time otherwise i have to soft reset. Now I know this, it is barely an inconvenience.

My other gripe was the amount of time it took to copy the full map from laptop to the card on the Loox. Maybe the smart thing is to copy to the card direct on the PC (with a suitable adaptor). Anyway, once done I can forget it now.

I think this is a great use for a PDA and I'm really pleased with it - no regrets. I'm sure you will be too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: