Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom RDS-TMC Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom RDS-TMC Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, it didn't work.

I got nothing but smart-arse responses from TomTom support who understand no more about this thing than we users do. Whatever the technical reasons, it is not fit for purpose and therefore should not be on sale in the UK.

For a long time it wasn't readily available through retail but it seems that TomTom proudly announced it to the UK (and not for the first time) on 7th November. Does this mean they've made it work? Judging by the very recent comments I'm reading in this thread, the answer is "no".

TomTom have remained very quiet about this all along and have not commented on any UK-specific problems. Version 6.52 came along and failed to improve things and there hasn't been another code upgrade since then. I fail to see how any improvement has been made since I returned mine a month ago unless they have changed the physical hardware. Again, no press release or official comment from TomTom on that subject, so anyone with an earlier version is stuck with it.

In this instance, TomTom have shown arrogance and a lack of interest in the opinions of their customers, to the point where I would be loathed to recommend even the GOx10 were it not so damn good in other respects.

Fortunately, the German merchant that sold me my TMC receiver has given me a full refund on the TMC receiver and my shipping costs, and I'm now using the inclusive GPRS allowance on my mobile contract to get my traffic data.

That's my experience and I wouldn't recommend that anyone repeats it.

GO 510, MoWE & Sony Ericsson W300i
RDS-mug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Update on response from Tom Tom Reply with quote

... I haven't had one! Sending them a little reminder today ... :x
RDS-mug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Update to software planned soon !! Reply with quote

I have now received a reply from Tom Tom to my email about the lack of servicability of the RDS-TMC receiver. Here it is:

In response to your request, we are sorry to hear that you have been less than satisfied with your recent RDS-TMC receiver purchase. Our Technical Team is currently working a new software update for the receiver which we hope to release either at the end of December 2006 or in January 2007 to alleviate the issues you have been experiencing and improve the functionality of the receiver. Please continue to monitor our website for details of this update.

Could this be what we have all been waiting for? Everything crossed ... Rolling Eyes
gotom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom have released a new version of the software 6.522 it appears to change the way the RDS-TMC unit works and you can now type in the FM frequency you wish to tune to. After upgrading you will get an orange "tuning" icon rather than the green dot when the GO is not receiving any traffic data.

Unfortunately, all I ever see is the new tuning icon and my GO has failed to lock onto Classic FM despite me typing in the actual frequency. So maybe this wasn't the great TMC fix we were waiting for?
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this new update and although the new icons work well, and it no longer seems lock onto non-RDS stations, I still found the receiver really struggles to receive Classic FM. 8O

I tried different antenna cable positions but it still wasn't great. In the end I modified my receiver to work with an external antenna and now with the new firmware it's great. :D
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thrown together a quick "How To" guide to show how the TomTom TMC Receiver can be modified to fit an external antenna. If you hook it into your car antenna, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Be warned you will need a soldering iron and it will invalidate your warranty on the TMC receiver. 8)

If your interested, you can download it here. http://www.pocketgpspoi.com/downloads/How_To_Modify_Your_TomTom_TMC_Receiver.pdf
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent guide, Gizmo!

Does this imply that you have to disconnect the car aerial from the radio, or is it possible to split the aerial cable to go to the TMC and the car radio?
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pritch wrote:
Excellent guide, Gizmo!

Does this imply that you have to disconnect the car aerial from the radio, or is it possible to split the aerial cable to go to the TMC and the car radio?

Thanks for the feedback.

You can buy a splitter cable pretty cheaply. What you will need depends on your car. For me, I would use a PC5-105 from somewhere like this place http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm

Alternatively, you could buy the sockets and plugs from Maplins and DIY. Smile
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What you will need depends on your car. For me, I would use a PC5-105 from somewhere like this place

I had a look at the site, and noticed their amplifiers. Did you consider using an amplifier as well, or do you not need one now?

My sig is current, I now want TMC and have spent the last 6 months trying to decide between a TT910 or a Nuvi660, and yes, I fully expect to have to enhance the reception in some fashion.
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine for me at the moment, but I haven't done as much mileage over Christmas as I would normally. So I will keep it as an option if I need it later. The next few weeks should tell for sure when driving gets back to normal.
Madmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a 510 with traffic pack just before christmas from pc world ( I know!) the TMC receiver was near useless nothing at all no matter where I went anyhow the day after ended up taking back unit as it developed another problem (wouldn't boot at all) PC world after a little wait decided they would replace unit, i've been to the in-laws in co-durham over christmas & well...to my surprise TMC EVENTUALLY worked from around the M62 manchester area to nearly 10miles or so to our destination, funny though one of the warnings was for fog as we'd already been in the area reported for nearly 20mins I decided we already knew!! anyhow....it's back home in liverpool now & back to receiving nothing again although having a trip on new years day so i'll report back findings!
(although what posts say the unit can mislead giving a green signal received symbol although when checking the TMC receiver is locked to the wrong channel!! not classic FM as it should!!)

this sat nav was an insurance replacement and thankfully didn't pay for the traffic kit (although if I had i'd be pretty miffed) other than that i've had a mio 268 in the past but been very very pleased with the tomtom 510 Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of software have you got installed on the TomTom? if its not 6,522 then you need to update, the new software doesn't lock to incorrect channels, tap the sat strength meter to find the installed version. Also have a look at the RDS TMC link in the FAQ post for more information this is in the TomTom One/ Go section of the site - Mike
gburt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sorry, from your instructions I cannot determine what the two soldered wires are connected to at the 'Antenna end', you show a 'Female socket', how do the red and black wires connect inside the socket?
Thanks for your help
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind the waranty issue when trying this, if you break it its history.

The gold pad furthest away from the four connected wires (the TomTom lead to the device) goes to the centre pin of the aerial lead, the gold pad nearest the four connected wires is for the screen.

At least one person has reported connecting both pads to the car gave strange results and no data at all, if this is the case with your installation disconnect the screen connection and try it without.

This modification works very well, in the Fylde area where I live Classic FM coverage is very poor (non-existant), since trying this with an amplified FM aerial I am getting traffic data in excess of 90% of the time, I need another aerial for the stereo now! - Mike
yo612
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Same problem in France Reply with quote

Hello everybody from France,

We have exactly the same problem in France with the Tmc-RDC receiver.
Near of Paris, which is a big town with lot of radios stations, sometimes we can receive the trafic-information and sometimes the tomtom goes to scan again and again.
When you leave Paris and go at 10 or 20 miles ahead, it 's worth.
Few times, tomtom can receive a good signal.
Many of us have sent e-mails at tomtom support and their answer is very... pathetic.
They advise us to not install others speeds camera coming from others website than tomtom, erase these poi, flash again the tomtom with the 6.522 and reset it.
So, is it really necessary to say to you that nothing changes after doing that ?

Bye
Confused Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: