Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FREE Points of Interest to Download for Your SatNav!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FREE Points of Interest to Download for Your SatNav!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdclark wrote:

One other thing my Garmin will only accept 3 columns, yet the garmin files are always four. I have to load each file into Excel and merge the last two columns together using an old add in I have.

which garmin do you have as poi loader has, for most of its existence, supported 4 columns - the 4th being 'details'... surely if your unit only supports 3 columns then it should not be in the compatibility list for poiloader.
MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racman wrote:
Sorry guys but still got a dead i3 any ideas Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
In order to get a better appreciation of this problem could you give us a clue as to:
what you downloaded?
what version of software your i3 is using?
which version of POILoader did you use?
is your i3 equipped with internal memory or mapping stored on a memory card?

Mike
gdclark
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

which garmin do you have as poi loader has, for most of its existence, supported 4 columns - the 4th being 'details'... surely if your unit only supports 3 columns then it should not be in the compatibility list for poiloader.
MaFt

Actually you are quite right. Rolling Eyes

My Nuvi 660 doesn't appear to include all the details given in the file and I thought it was ignoring it 8O

Either that or some of the details colums are too long Question
racman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded all poi's plus speed cameras.All latest garmin software.maps on sd card

Last edited by racman on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
racman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many poi's can an i3 hold??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have access to a memory card reader? - if so please put your TransFlash memory card in the reader and point the POILoader at the memory card, next ask POILoader to remove all POI from the card, does this improve the situation for you? - Mike
racman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both my card readers dont support transflash but will get one and try this thanks
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few queries concerning POIs:-

Are there any plans to add a RSS ICON to the download page and have this updated in a similar manner to the camera database?

Once POIs are submitted (be they new ones or changes) are these going to be added to the main public files straight away or is there a set procedure being followed such as another user is to verify the content?

Thanks again for the files, I have just sent 3 new Boots the chemist, 1 Lloyds-TSB bank, 1 Vauxhall dealer and a Honda Dealer amendment for the Newbury, West Berks area. Look forward to seeing them on a file some time.

Mike ( A Vauxhall-Honda driver, Lloyds-TSB bank customer, Boots the chemist user ! )
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are changing the POI database much more frequently than the Camera database, so a RSS feed would most probably overwhelm your RSS reader. But we'll think about a weekly aggregator of sorts

Submitted POIs are reviewed by a number of moderators, and if immediate verification via the sat images is possible (like a McDonals where the golden arches are painted on the pavement) the submission will be put live immediately. In other cases we'll look for some more confirmations. But this process is far less restrictive than the camera verification.

Internally we are using a mobile version of the database maintenance page so that we can verify POIs "on site" during pub crawls etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
andyvincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having received my first GPS at Christmas (Garmin SP510D) I have spent many happy hours in the world of POI's. The starting point for this was that the Garmin built in 'Fuel' list omits the two largest petrol stations near me (Sainsbury's and Shell). Much to my surprise these are also omitted by every other Fuel POI list except that at PGPSW - so here I have stayed! However, a few comments might be in order:

The format of the PGPSW POI lists varies and it would help if a 'best practice' was suggested to those compiling lists or perhaps offering to edit existing lists.

To my mind, a B&Q POI list does not need 'B&Q' taking up precious space in the name field. An example of good practice is the Sainsbury's list which has the location as the name and the address in the details. Ideally the phone number (without the +44) should also be in the details.

The full category lists (e.g. shopping) clearly do need the store name in the name field. Hopefully the underlying database can cope with both presentations. These category lists should also have the store/brand details before the location. A poor example is Fuel which has the location first and (at least on Garmin) only manages to show the brand where the location is very short. Much better to have Shell or whatever first then the location.

Phone numbers - what is the fixation with including +44 in phone number (and in the case of Waitrose to have both +44 and normal UK representation in the description?)!

Address: to my mind, the details should include the address. I appreciate that most of these lists have been put together as a 'labour of love' but the address can be very useful if the location is slightly off and takes you down a parallel road.

My conclusions as a newbie? That the PGPSW lists are by far the most complete and that the SP510 is a most remarkable and forgiving piece of kit. Apart from the remarkable ability to pick up a satellite signal in my living room, it also copes admirably with some trickery with POI's - for example you can load the complete fuel list (but without a BMP) and also load the fuel lists (with BMP) for your preferred brands. It then happily shows you the nearest petrol station (and indicates it via a generic pin point) but also shows you the locations of your preferred brands on the map with icons. Next challenge is to subscribe and start exploring the camera database!

Andy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyvincent wrote:

Phone numbers - what is the fixation with including +44 in phone number (and in the case of Waitrose to have both +44 and normal UK representation in the description?)!

This is supposed to become a workd wide database. Just imagine a tourist visiting your island and needing to call a hotel. They will be more comfortable to use the full phone number

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
andyvincent wrote:

This is supposed to become a workd wide database. Just imagine a tourist visiting your island and needing to call a hotel. They will be more comfortable to use the full phone number

especially when they will more than likely be calling from their mobile which will need the full country code.
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like the idea with of the phone numbers
Don't change it please! Wink
Cheers
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question about the new POIs:

How are they derived?

Are they taken from postcodes and indicative of rough area or are they exact locations?

Actually that's three questions.

Also, how is it proposed that users know whether or not they have the most up to date file?

Alright; that's four questions.
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeSee

An earlier post seen suggests they are intended to be at the point of a public highway such as when you join the last road driven on and not necessarily the exact point as the exact point may be difficult to determine.

I believe the only way you know about the latest status for now is the download page refers to the issue date. Some changes I submitted yesterday are now reflected in their revised date.

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 6 of 24

Jump to: