Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom and there mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom and there mapping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's bring this back on topic, otherwise we'll have to lock the thread.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blimey, where have we heard that before!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Let's bring this back on topic, otherwise we'll have to lock the thread.

Sorry, Lutz! Embarassed
Samsung Galaxy S21
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
you blokes really want eggs with your bacon dont you....image how many roads/streets there are in the uk, a large amount, so it takes the map makers a while to 'get it right' and when they do the local council will change the road setup......anyway only a fool would completely rely on a sat nav's directions and if you're not happy with your particular sat nav ,sell it and get another one, simple solution me thinks..as for having a go at the mod, just look at how many posts he done and think of how many people he's helped in the past...

Well as far as i am concerned no one is having a go at the mod, and as far as the council changing things is not the question, all we want is to have on the maps what should be there in the first place. i am sure i'm not alone in reporting map errors, but what happens when we do - well obviousely we have just wasted our time because when it / they get reported they are ignored as has been proved and as regards the unit that i use namely tomtom910 i think its an exellent unit and i will repeat what i said before ...its not the unit its the mapping..for what its worth i used to own a garmin street pilot 111 and even the mapping on that (navtec) was more up to date than the tomtom mapping is to date.So look at it this way along comes the newcommer he buys his tomtom pays his money to download what he thinks is the latest map pays the map asking price and gets one about 4 years out of date which is no better than the one he already has....its not on.

TomTom 940 Live
bleugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just plain had it with TOMTOM, i'm likely to NEVER buy a product from them again

I've got a 910, and i'm now in Australia (moved from UK)

the maps are ok enough in that 9/10 times they get you to your destination, however there are now literally 100's of incorrect areas on the map that i've discovered in the space of just 1 month of driving in / around Melbourne

right turns are a royal pain, often you can't

one way streets - at least twice i've been led the wrong way

inability to distinguish between two streets of the same name, but in different areas - 3 times now this has happened

frequently chosing the wrong area for a given street, i.e. you try choosing 'wellington street' - st kilda...........it leads you to cremone instead 9/10 times

add to that at least 5 'dead end' roads it's tried making me cross,

one 'turn right and plunge off the precipice' situation on a flyover near tullamarine

several 'you have reached your destination' even though the actual street number I want is half a mile away on the OTHER side of the road (VERY annoying when you're dragging heavy equipment)

and finally (amusingly), the vast expanse of 'ocean' in tullamarine!!!, WTF??

oh, can I add the 'couple of times a week' function where the device switches to the 'navigate to' screen..........at random intervals

..........the annoying american voice that says me tt ers insteat of m eat ers (meters)

...........the total inability to determine what's a highway, and what's a dust road

.......the disfunction of the 'shortest route' calculations,
......likewise, the disfuntion of the 'fastest route' calculations

pretty much what sums up tomtom at this point in time

crappy mounting to windscreen (1 month, still no replacement mount received), i've got to wedge the thing into the dashboard with an eraser, or it moves

non functional microphone for hands free (no reply received about warranty, shop don't want to know)

the inability for the internal algorithms to function accuratley within a grid based city system

the total and unequivocal lack of any customer support / email responses outside of europe (not that I used them in the UK anyway)

tomtom's inability to automate POI entry, i.e. I give it a list of addresses, it generates POI's internally based upon those addresses

tomtom's inflexibility with POI's, you can't simply 'edit' one, you have to delete it and re-insert

finally, the shockingly out of date maps

if you're in OZ, don't buy a tomtom, the navman ones are a LOT cheaper, and certainly do the same thing as tomtom

the MIO ones even seem to know about some of the 'no right turns' that tomtom steadfastly refuses to acknowledge

moan over
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleugh, as a resident of Pascoe Vale i am interested in your issue's with the maps from home.
I am going home soon and have been angsting over whether to get the maps or not.
luckily enough you'll find melbourne a breeze it really is a easy place to navigate, as for the precipice near tulla, would that be on the western releif road, i thought that would have been finished by now.
Just a final point, i am not having a go at any of the "mods" or the team they all do a grand job, but we all have our opinions right or wrong. I am not always right, thats why we have debate etc, i may not always agree with others, but i will always listen and respect that opinion given by the other side.
Have a good christmas everyone, take care of each other and stay safe.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:
With todays technology i am sure if the military needed to pinpoint a road in the iraqi desert because of rumours of untold amounts of oil reserve they would have it available

Not so sure of that....Remember how they nearly started WW3 by bombing the Chinese Embassy?
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
GO-GO-910 wrote:
With todays technology i am sure if the military needed to pinpoint a road in the iraqi desert because of rumours of untold amounts of oil reserve they would have it available

Not so sure of that....Remember how they nearly started WW3 by bombing the Chinese Embassy?

Well as usual the thread has got away from the context for which it was intended namely maping and its obviouse that the reason why is like Go-Go-910 has already qouted that there is far to many users out there all to ready to defend the situation when they wont admit that there is a problem with the mapping, in my opinion if you download a map which you have been told has been updated and you then find that it hasn't then your money should be refunded..Most other places offer this service now ie if you buy an item from a supplier and its not fit for the purpose or not as described then normaly you will be refunded...but will TOMTOM do it!!!!!well not from what i have read on the forums..Happy Xmas everyone.

TomTom 940 Live
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, these things tend to drift away from the subject when the original topic has been discussed to death many times already!
Your original post was just a rant, with no new information or questions, so what are we supposed to say. Of course the maps have problems. No one on these forums will ever say how wonderful the maps are, only that all the satnavs are as bad as each other, but if your particular bit of country is better on one manufacturer's effort, you are bound to think that is better than the rest.
Go ahead, try another manufacturer, see if their level of service is REALLY better. Please come back and tell us how you get on.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Sorry, these things tend to drift away from the subject when the original topic has been discussed to death many times already!
Your original post was just a rant, with no new information or questions, so what are we supposed to say. Of course the maps have problems. No one on these forums will ever say how wonderful the maps are, only that all the satnavs are as bad as each other, but if your particular bit of country is better on one manufacturer's effort, you are bound to think that is better than the rest.
Go ahead, try another manufacturer, see if their level of service is REALLY better. Please come back and tell us how you get on.

Well i rest my case ..for all those in doubt have a look at the garmin mapping V9 and then see if i have a valid augument about Teleatlas...!!!!!!!

TomTom 940 Live
zcheema
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used sat navs for 2 years now and found then useful, their maps can leave a lot to desire. The A120 bypass near Stansted Airport has been there for some time and there was a long time before that when they knew it was being built, yet the last Tom Tom software I have does not have it. in normal paper maps you can see where new roads are in the making, perhaps this could be done on these devices with us unlocking the road when it is open.

OR and I guess this will put them out of business on the map front.

When there is a new road we tell the software that we are on a new road (giving start and end marks) and it puts it on to the map for you ready for next time, adding one way or no turns etc Then with a central store the data is upload and then distribute to other machines (like POI) so updating maps on a daily basis.

Also means that areas that have no maps can soon have maps built quickly by the drivers as they roam around the area.

Just a thought.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look here

http://Www.openstreetmap.org

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
zcheema
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but need to be able to convert the images to TT and or software in TT to enable the new roads to be added easily
badgerdid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed Western_Europe_660.1256 map and so far all roads that were not on previous maps are listed in this newer version in my area.

Looks like they have finally updated the maps. This is the UK by the way
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zcheema wrote:
Interesting, but need to be able to convert the images to TT and or software in TT to enable the new roads to be added easily

This will never happen. It is against TomTom's business model.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: