Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone loaded SW update to PiN570?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone loaded SW update to PiN570?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Anyone loaded SW update to PiN570? Reply with quote

Has anyone loaded the SP1 update yet on their PiN570, I find on the Navman site that this update has been released, and I posted a question on what extra it added (see thread)

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35131)

Well last week it crashed a couple of times when I was on-route, generally when changing to the other screens (list of turns etc) meant it froze, so perhaps it is worth trying the upgrade now?

However, since the software came pre-loaded I have no idea the best way to actually upgrade the PiN from the download, I am a little cautious to be honest since I have not found the Smart ST desktop all that stable.

So anyone tried this and got some pointers??

Adek
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok plucked up the courage to downlaod this update- and it seems to have worked- at least the PiN still is functioning and has all the maps , so nothing lost...

just for information I used the desktop version and selected the "check for updates" in the menu , and it went onto the navman site and gave an update for pocket PC etc. I followed the on screen instructions and it downloaded a 28Mb file which it says is for the PiN570, then it installed an update to the desktop version and when the PiN was attached to the PC it asked to update this- during this update it asks install in the default directory? (main memory ) to which I changed it to select ROM memory instead (there was a word file which suggests this if you saved the zip file).

so all looks fine , now to see if any of the changes have made a difference.
subwoofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded the update, but decided for now that 'It ain't broken so don't fix it'. Mine has only forzen up when I went onto the turn by turn list. I don't normally use this so it wasn't a real issue.

I am not sure if it would be better to apply the update anyway as preventative maintenance. Usually when it comes to software most opinions are 'latest update is best'.

Would like to know how you get on. Driving
subwoofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adek

I have now installed the update, but forgot to check the software version before I ran the update.

My 570 now shows the SmartST version as 3.50.0515, but doesn't mention SP1. Is this the right version if the service pack has installed correctly?
kennyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the update a couple of weeks ago, the 570 shows the same version number as yours subwoofer but I can't say I've noticed anything different yet. My 570 also froze when moving to the turn by turn screen on a trip up to Scotland, really annoying!! So far it's not done that but I haven't done any long trips since.

Cheers,
Kenny
subwoofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman have now got back to me and said that version number means it is updated. Just have to see if it freezes on the turn by turn list; it hasn't so far.
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that, the turn by turn list froze a couple of times on mine, hence I loaded the update. Also found that when you are on the map screen (not during a route) if you click on the map the list of actions is shown in the drop down menu. A couple of times it froze when I went to the exit application item...

Now I've not tried it too much with the SP loaded, but it worked at least once so far without crashing on the turn by turn, however it crashed out on the MS word yesterday for no reason at all - nothing else was running.

Little glitches but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it now I have got used to the quirks.

Adek
subwoofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still freezing issues, even with the SP1 loaded.

On a trip from Brighton to Okehampton I wanted to see the ETA so flicked it into the first view after the map. It froze instantly. Had to do a soft reset to get it working again. Tried this again on the way back, again a soft reset was required. I did do this once more, but when I was stationary and it did not freeze.

Not sure if this is an added 'safety' feature to stop you changing views while moving?

As before loading the SP1 it has always been fine if left just on the 3D map for the duration of the journey.

I have also noticed that occasionally on approaching a junction, but only on a long journey, it gets confused and gives a ? in the top left corner, it seems to get itself together just in time, but you don't get the normal advanced warning.
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the software with SP1 still crashes out when you are just on the 2 D map.(not even routing) If you select the drop down menu (the circle of dots appears) and the exit application option seems to freeze the software a fair amount of the time. Needs a soft reset...

Also the other day - I was stuck in traffic so tried to flick through the other screens whilst it was on the active route, got past the route list but it froze on the next screen on this time.

So yep still a few bugs then.
waughie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it crash more before you put SP1 or after?
cep1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Navman PiN 570 (SP1) still freezing Reply with quote

After installing SP1 earlier this year, my Pin570 still freezes after about 2 hours continuous use if you try to change from the 3D screen, which I use all the time when driving. I then have to do a soft reset, even to exit the application, so installing SP1 earlier this year doesn't seem to have made any difference. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: