Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin C510D Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin C510D Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another software update from Garmin this week, when I plugged my recently purchased C510D. Latest revs seem to be:

C510 unit 3.10
GTM software 3.70
GPS software 2.70
Audio 2.10

I think I have seen greater GTM signal levels and quicker searching for RAC LIVE (seen throught the diagnostics page).

Will test-drive later today.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the latest GTM update restricts the range of frequencies that the units search through for a signal, which may improve things.
Gradlag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Add some Ferrite rings Reply with quote

I've had a similar problem with a GTM21 using a Nuvi660. For ages the light just stayed yellow - even when driving around the M42 and M40. Finally got it working inside the house, but still no joy in the car. I've now attached two Ferrite rings from Maplins (ref HEM3019/N96AB). One at the base by the lighter and one at the top between the receiver and the base connector. Seems to have done the trick - or at least I'm getting a consistant signal. Got the idea from a similar thread concerning the GTM12, something to do with electrical noise. :D
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Add some Ferrite rings Reply with quote

Gradlag wrote:
I've had a similar problem with a GTM21 using a Nuvi660. For ages the light just stayed yellow - even when driving around the M42 and M40. Finally got it working inside the house, but still no joy in the car. I've now attached two Ferrite rings from Maplins (ref HEM3019/N96AB). One at the base by the lighter and one at the top between the receiver and the base connector. Seems to have done the trick - or at least I'm getting a consistant signal. Got the idea from a similar thread concerning the GTM12, something to do with electrical noise. :D

Gradlag: I'd be interested in knowing how you have fitted the ferritte rings. i.e do you just clip the ferritte rings round the cable or do you loop the cable around the ferritte ring. (photos would be appreciated)

Also have you reported the GTM 21 issues to Garmin??

Many thanks
malc77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: GTM21 Reply with quote

Hi- wondered if anyone alse had success with ferrite rings- or indeed any other tips to improve TMC reception? I get reasonable reception but not 100% as it is now.
Thanks, Margaret
CreaTz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelvin66 wrote:

PS amyone know what stations RAC LIVE uses to transmitt the TMS data?

United Kingdom
The private company iTIS Holdings is providing a commercial TMC service iTMC in the United Kingdom. It is broadcast on Classic FM The price of the service can be included in the price of the car or of the navigation system.

Next to that, there is a service RAC Live operated by RAC Trafficmaster Telematics (RTT) a 50-50 joint venture between RAC Motoring Services and Trafficmaster. It uses 3 commercial radio broadcasters, GWR, Capital radio and Chrysalis who together ensure reception across mainland Britain.

Both providers are responsible for their own location tables. The current location table version of ITIS is 5.1. The current location table version of Trafficmaster is 2.0.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problems with the GTM21 as most users have. Traffic reception is extremely unreliable and only works in areas of very high signal strength. I have tried three different vehicles, horizontal aerial, vertical aerial etc with no improvement. I have complained to Garmin and also tried to get info from TrafficMaster about what I should expect. They passed my question on to Garmin who said I must have a faulty unit and replaced the whole of my C510D with GTM21. No improvement! The sales manager of Garmin told me that they have had no other complaints and that the units work well in Romsey. On a journey to Scotland and back from Surrey I had no traffic info at all after Cheshire going North and until turning onto M6 Toll on th eway back. Also big blank areas on M40
I reckon it's time to talk misleading advertising, Trades Description Act etc. The unit does not do what it is supposed to do.
kelvin66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron, take a look at this link. It shows what I did to improve reception;

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48188&start=45

It's made a BIG difference to the reception. Also check on the signal strengh when tuned to Clasic FM, on the radio, as that's where the traffic signal comes from... If it's bad then you will never receive TMC signals...

PS. you can pull of the black end and strip the wire by 1/4" of the GTM21. If it doesn't waork you can re-trim the cable and super glue the black end back...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelvin66 wrote:
Also check on the signal strengh when tuned to Clasic FM, on the radio, as that's where the traffic signal comes from... If it's bad then you will never receive TMC signals...
As a Garmin owner, it matters not a jot what signal level Classic FM is being broadcast on. Classic provide the carrier for the iTIS Holdings RDS-TMC service, and as a Garmin user you use the Trafficmaster RDS-TMC, which uses local commercial FM radio stations (ie non-BBC local and national radio stations). Even in areas where the radio can hold onto enough of a signal to play you music the signal may not be good enough to get a strong enough signal for the traffic to work.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for Swing - there have been many comments in these forums about weak TMC traffic signals along the M4 in recent weeks, particularly around Reading to Maidenhead. Last week when I drove up to Heathrow I set my destination and then instead of viewing the map (I could drive the route blind by now - I just use it for diversions etc when I meet problems) I remained on the home screen. Throughout the entire journey the traffic icon remained bright blue so I am assuming that I was receiving a valid signal throughout the journey and never lost it which makes its' failure to pick up a jam around Reading a week or two back all the more puzzling. When I returned the unit correctly forecast a 6 mile congestion between J8/9 & J10 so it all seems to be working Ok. I have a 310D with the most recent power cable
My question therefore.... if the traffic icon is live are we continuously receiving a traffic signal or is this misleading and we are perhaps passing though 'dead' areas without realising it and looking at 'old' i.e. previously received traffic information?
kelvin66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experince the blue icon stays lit even when the signals gone as shown on the GMT21 green led. So I think the icon has a delay and uses what's in the memory for (my guess) up to 5 mins...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, if the unit loses signal, it will continue to list the traffic data until it timesouts, which happens roughly around 15 minutes, at which point the unit will start to delete the traffic from its list.

However, roadworks have a much longer timeout, so one thing that can happen is that although all the traffic data has been deleted, it still has a list of 3 to 5 items of long term roadworks, which will result in the blue icon staying on.

Given this caching of data, you can easily pass through short dead spots without even knowing about it, but obviously longer dead spots will show up.

I also feel it can be very directional - eg I seem to get more time with traffic travelling Eastbound on the M4 than Westbound - whether this is the caching of the traffic data, or whether it's about the unit being able to pick up the new signals I don't know (nor, when travelling at 69.9mph do I have the ability to sit there playing to work out what's going on Laughing )
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I also feel it can be very directional - eg I seem to get more time with traffic travelling Eastbound on the M4 than Westbound - whether this is the caching of the traffic data, or whether it's about the unit being able to pick up the new signals I don't know (nor, when travelling at 69.9mph do I have the ability to sit there playing to work out what's going on )]
So, you are the slow one holding everybody up around Reading!!!! :D
but seriously I can't remember the last time I could manage 70 mph around that section of the M4 for any length of time (other than in the middle of the night.
Thanks for the answer
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the icon stays on even once the led has gone amber. However, if you switch the unit off momentarily then it will lose the downloaded traffic info. However, on one journey up the M40 I lost traffic info as shown by amber led. I switched unit off for about 4 minutes and on switching on it found traffic again. I have a hunch that theunit is not very good at surrendering a poor signal to switch to a stronger more local station. Switching it off forces a new seek.

I contend that the units have insufficient sensitivity for UK use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: