Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 6 Voice Commands work sometimes!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 6 Voice Commands work sometimes!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adwallace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Destinator 6 Voice Commands work sometimes! Reply with quote

First, thanks to this forum, I have managed to setup D6 on an Orange SPV M3100 with a BT-GPS. It has been working great most of the time.

I created 5 favourite groups for Gatso etc, and installed BMP's and SPX files for each group.

However:
1) when the phone is in the car, and connected to the bluetooth car kit or,
2) there are several applications running in the background (especially IE)
The voice prompts seem to stop, and revert back to beeps.

If I disable the favourites, and then restart D6 then the voice commands start working again.

Is this a memory thing? Has anyone seen anything like this? Would I be better using WAV files instead of SPX?

Any help greatfully appreciated, as the beeps are driving me nuts!

Andrew
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is related to the speex dll.
If you have the PN wav-files use them and the problem should be gone.
adwallace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the PN version files. D6 is my first venture with GPS in the car. Would you be able to point me somewhere where I can lay my hands on them?

It's not a memory problem - just loaded a whole bunch of apps, and the voice commands worked. Must be flaky SPX replay. Should I replace all the SPX files, or just the ones that I have added? Can I just convert the files that I have already perhaps?

Thanks again.
Andrew
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the pn-wm5-patch from the destinator web page. The wav-files are included.
adwallace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded the PN patch, and unpacked the files, but it is not clear which files are wav/spx or if they relate to camera alerts. I have downloaded 5 new OGG sound files (alerts for the cameras) and converted them to 16-bit WAV. TheRock - Are you suggesting that I convert all of the other files that came with D6?
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install english.cab and copy all files from \DestinatorApps\Destinator\Interface\Voice\English in a new directory \DestinatorApps\Destinator\Voice\EngWav

Now you should be able to switch between speex and wav within D6.
adwallace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - the two voice prompts are installed now and both working. I also installed the new D6 patch for the map cutting and refreshed the UK/Ireland maps on my PPC. I don't know if that might have been related somehow, as I now get text prompts on the screen when I pass a Gatso, whereas I did not before. TheRock, thanks again for your help.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock comes to the rescue yet again! Bless you sir.

Had the same on an SPV M5000. No carkit. Using Magic Button software so not got loads of things open (i.e. not a memory issue).

How do Destinator get away with this? How come the answer comes from Rock 6 months before it comes from Destinator? I swing from love to hate weekly with Desti and this is exactly why.

Forums are Beta testing reports for lazy companies. Just my twopenneth worth.
Holux GPSslim
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is good news for you Jimbo.
I got word, that Destinator will release a D6-patch in October.

(hope it's 06)
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 V6.1.1 is released: http://www.destinatortechnologies.com/de_DE/mydestinator/index1.html

Until now just the German version, but English UK is included. Other languages should follow soon.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock. You're enthusiasm for the product and regular sharing of news with the rest of us always makes me feel bad for being negative about Destinator. I know it shouldn't because I'm knocking the product not you. However, going back to the Desti site reminds me of why I have really lost any enthusiasm for the product.

perhaps because the UK version isn't released it's hard to see what the update includes. But in all the time I've had a registered Destinator product I've never once recieved an email informing me of an update. I've never had a true targetted reply to a technical query and end up using this forum to fix issues.

I recently made the jump to TomTom Navigator 6 Europe. £85.00 for DVD based version. Destinator always had some good features and was way cheaper. But these days there isn't much in it price wise. TomTom Navigator isn't perfect but it's hassle free. I spend less time screaming at my PDA.

Perhaps my need for navigation has now become something I want to help me day to day rather than a hobby. I know Destinator is much more configurable if you like to get under the skin. Almost like a hobbyist GPS solution. But I don't crave that ability to dive beneath the skin and I'm happy I've made the switch.

That said, I'm still a registered Destinator user. Perhaps I'll check out the update and see if it rejuvenates my enthusiasm. But somehow I'm not convinced it will.

Out of interest Rock, is this just a fix for the sound problem or is it a true update? Do you get more functionality?
Holux GPSslim
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translation of the change log (partly):
- sound bug fixed
- x-region function optimized (directions list till destination, not just till border; use of x-region if start and end is on one map, but routing thru different map is shorter ex. Germany from Saarbrücken to Offenburg)
- Installation wizzard at first start
- sirf protocol support
- GPS accurancy increased
- cleartype support
- routing algorithm opimized
- map loading speed increased
- at destination target address is shown for 10s
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:

I recently made the jump to TomTom Navigator 6 Europe. £85.00 for DVD based version. Destinator always had some good features and was way cheaper. But these days there isn't much in it price wise. TomTom Navigator isn't perfect but it's hassle free. I spend less time screaming at my PDA.

Acctually you can get a download version of TT6 WestEurope for 80Euros at www.tomtom.com (which I own aswell)

TT6 has some nice features, but I like the D6 routing much more. The TeleAtlas map data is really bad compared to Navteq (at least in my region).
Re-routing after missing a turn is almost everytime just a u-turn.

And what really stinks is the designed 'un-support' of TT5 or TT3 map data. This means if you update TT to the next version, you have to re-buy all the maps you own.

And by the way, D6 is down to 50€ at www.destinator-update.de
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates on Destinator site are for "Destinator 6.1.1 Patch for Destinator 6 TMC" and "Destinator 6.1.1 Patch for Destinator 6 TrafficSam " which doesnt sound like an update to the product itself.

We were, of course, promised VGA support and Text To Speech in this release Exclamation

As already stated the updates are only in German at present.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: