Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will never buy a TomTom again ! BBC Watchdog anyone ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will never buy a TomTom again ! BBC Watchdog anyone ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:

i we really should care about the minority of unlucky buyers.. not echoe the fan-boy tomtom is wonderfull mantra..
trog

Firstly, of the unlucky ones who do experience problems, you're assuming that all are receiving poor or bad service. However as has been demonstrated above (see davideo0's post) that isn't the case.
So, of those in your estimated 2% a fair percentage will have their problem resolved satisfactorily, which means that an even smaller number may be left feeling dissatisfied. It is likely that the actual percentage of people who have bought a Tom Tom GPS and who experience real problems may be very, very small, probably just fractions of 1%

As has been said previously those that are happy with either their GPS or the service from Tom Tom are unlikely to shout about it, while those that aren't will, understanderably, kick and shout.

Finally, this isn't a defence of Tom Tom or a 'Tom Tom is wonderful mantra' it's just that it is a fact of life that in manufacturing, retailing or even life that nobody is absolutely 100% perfect.
davideo0
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
lack of edit..

we really should care about the minority of unlucky buyers.. not echoe the fan-boy tomtom is wonderfull mantra..

for some.. tomtom really aint so wonderfull..

trog

I care very much for the minority, I am one myself.

My whole point was that having had to return two items for service/replacement, and, therefore, am by definition 'one of the unlucky minority', I qualify to be able to express how I found TomTom's service.
I couldn't fault it.

Now, I don't know how many people have had to wait for three months or more for resolution, but judging by the fact that this is the first thread I have come across where this sort of delay has been raised, I can only assume that this is not the norm.

I have absolutely no reason to express approval of TomTom other than as my own experience dictates.

I certainly do not include Tadger in this, but there are far more people on this forum and elsewhere who spend their time slating TomTom than praising where due.
TTG 700, Firmware ver 6.520 (7690/061002),GPS v1.21, Boot 4.86, OS:1387,Map: Western Europe v660 , Tripmaster 1.6d, Offroad Navigator v1.5a, External antenna, External microphone, Motorola V3, Orange PAYG
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not being personnel here.. just making a general comment.. lets just say nine out of ten get good service..

just one in ten get treated badly.. it isnt good enough and being without a product for two or three months isnt "less than 100% perfect" its a shoddy disaster..

it seems a common forum thing to be honest.. i see it with camera gear... computor gear.. sat/nav gear..

in fact i have seen it so bad that any poor dude who dosnt join the fan-boy club and dares to suggest the "product" or the maker isnt up to scratch gets called a whinging whiner and hounded off the forum.. he he he

hard luck sunshine go whine somewhere else seems the order of the day in most "product" forums..

not exactly helpfull to the poor dude who really does have genuine a grievance..

trog
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:

it seems a common forum thing to be honest.. i see it with camera gear... computor gear.. sat/nav gear..

The reason that it is a 'common forum thing' is exactly because of the reasons I have put forward on a couple of occasions previously, 'those that are happy with either their GPS or the service from Tom Tom are unlikely to shout about it, while those that aren't will, understanderably, kick and shout.' and a forum is exactly the place where people go to seek advice.

Also, I've never seen anyone in this thread or anywhere else for that matter being called a 'whinging whiner' nor being 'hounded off the forum'
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:

in fact i have seen it so bad that any poor dude who dosnt join the fan-boy club and dares to suggest the "product" or the maker isnt up to scratch gets called a whinging whiner and hounded off the forum.. he he he

Certainly not here...
(or the other main TomTom forum for that matter).
Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that units of any type go wrong - its part of life. What makes great companies stand apart from run of the mill is the level of customer service.

Returning a unit for repair and not getting it back for 3 months is unacceptable.

Being told incorrect information by the service dept is unacceptable

A website that posts incorrect information is unacceptable

Being told you'll just have to wait is unacceptable.

Not having calls returned is unacceptable

Until TT gets their service sorted out they will never be a great company irrespective of the number of customers that it effects - because for those whose units are ok today then it might be your turn tomorrow!!
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a funny old world.. one hour ago i thought i was among the lucky 98% whos unit hasnt gone wrong.. he he

now i have one dead little used go 300 complete with western euro seemless map and external aerial.. hmmm..

it was bought about 15 months ago from curries.. too long for curries to care.. does tomtom offer a guarantee longer than twelve months.. if they do what kind of proof of purcahse do they require cos i am pretty sure i dont have the original receipt..???

as i say its a funny old world.. sometimes i think it takes the p-ss.. he he

trog
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my reply in your other post Trog
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks andy seen it and emailed the repair shop dudes..

trog
Tadger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solobay wrote:
I appreciate that units of any type go wrong - its part of life. What makes great companies stand apart from run of the mill is the level of customer service.

Returning a unit for repair and not getting it back for 3 months is unacceptable.

Being told incorrect information by the service dept is unacceptable

A website that posts incorrect information is unacceptable

Being told you'll just have to wait is unacceptable.

Not having calls returned is unacceptable

Until TT gets their service sorted out they will never be a great company irrespective of the number of customers that it effects - because for those
whose units are ok today then it might be your turn tomorrow!!

This is all so true !!

My refurb ONE finally arrived today out of the blue so I have another to add to the list...

"being sent a refurb that is not screwed together properly with a massive gap along the top edge"

So the dilemma is...do I send it back to tomtom for another indefinite wait... or fork out for a set of security bits just so i can put it back together properly myself.

Plus.... I've yet to try it out and see if they have sent me a working one !!

I get that 98% percent of the people have no problems, but as several others have already said, its how they deal with the minority of faults that proves decent customer service. I have had such a poor experienced with them that I will no longer condsider them when making future purchases, and will also share this opinion to friends, colleagues and family.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tadger wrote:

Quote:
I have had such a poor experienced with them that I will no longer condsider them when making future purchases, and will also share this opinion to friends, colleagues and family.

But will you tell your friends, colleagues and family that 98% are happy with there Tomtom's?
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it gets repeated often enough that it becomes regarded as 'official' it may be worth pointing out that the figure of 2% of Tom Tom owners experiencing issues with 98% not is nothing more than a finger in the air guesstimate and is not based on any known figures.

In all probability the actual figure of people who really do experience repeated problems, faults and poor customer service is likely to be much less.
Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS - your point is fair, and when they work the units are market leaders IMHO.

However when they don't the level of service requires to reflect the quality of the product ie excellent.

This applies to all customers. I work in a service industry where we look for an excess of 99% customer satisfaction. Thats because we know one unhappy customer tells 10 other people who tell 10 other people etc etc

TT cannot afford to sit back on the basis that the majority of their customers are happy!

As to getting sent a dodgy refurb - it would go straight back to the shop I bought it from as being unfit for purpose. Failing that it would be smalls claims court for a full refund.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isnt a tomtom only thing.. more part of "remote" buying.. but its become clear to me recently that part of the trick is the "long turn around"..

making it a difficult or lengthy process cuts down on returns.. poor telephone answering.. having to get permission and a number prior to a return are all becoming par for the course..

i know it puts me off.. things i would return to a shop i wouldnt bother with the remote system.. with cheaper item i would just bin it sooner than go thru the "return" process..

trog
dejaycejay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Well, I've not had to send min into tom tom yet. I've had it for 2 years.

But, Reading what you guys have gone through makes me think.
You see, I use mine for work. I am a contract driver and I drive for various companies. Driving all over the UK. I need my Tom Tom EVERY DAY.

Added to that I read on these forums that the updated maps are c**p.
The maps I have are not all that good anyway. Sad

If mine went wrong I think I would be looking at a new satnav. Not necessarily a Tom Tom.

Regards all, Clive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: