Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the Unit Model Numbers,

Some posters mentioned they had 4V00.000 bought from Germany,

I picked up a unit from a UK store on Friday, and it is 9V00.006

And the news is, total bolloks, !!

Just the same problems as with ther Geman unit, it spends all its time locked onto non Classic settings, I maanaged to get Classic FM today on the M1 between J32 and J29 after that it wandered off again and went hunting.

At that same time the Garmin GTM-12 on a 360 was holding a decent signal most of the journey, (Servie about 80% of time hunting the rest).

The TT unit really seems to have a problem and its mind boggling that there is no way to narrow the frequency hunt in the UK, at least with the Barmin there are decent dignostic screens so you can see what is going on

Cheers
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the issue is software, not hardware? The antenna is just that, an antenna - an expensive one but then that'll be the one-off licence.

TT need to get their boffins on the TT software, to ensure the TT locks on the Classic FM frequencies. The radio manages it, so why can't TT?

Come on TT, sort yourselves out!
linxeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: GO 510 + RDS-TMC package Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Just spent some time reading the whole of this thread... I bought a GO510 yesterday from PCWorld of all places (their collect at store price was just about as cheap as anywhere else).

When I looked in TomTom sealed box, I found another box containing the TomTom 510, plus a package containing the RDS-TMC cable. The version of the cable I have is V400.000 - so this version of the cable *must* be TomTom approved for the UK. Anyway, not having much luck with it so far.

I've updated the unit using TomTom HOME, and am now running v6.52. I've not been able to get Classic FM. I live in Cheltenham and can get 3 different classic FM frequencies on my car stereo quite easily (1 weaker than the other two) - so I should be able to get the RDS broadcast?

The unit appears to lock (green indicator) onto Severn Sound 102.4, and then BBC Radio Glos 104.7, then sit with no indicator for a while, then cycles again. Maybe it genuinely is looking for Classic FM? I'm getting very tempted to break into the receiver and investigate connecting an external antenna!
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:

At that same time the Garmin GTM-12 on a 360 was holding a decent signal most of the journey, (Servie about 80% of time hunting the rest).

It shouldn't be forgotten that it's taken Garmin about 5 months since release to get their TMC receivers working, and according to user reports they're still far from perfect.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: GO 510 + RDS-TMC package Reply with quote

linxeh wrote:
I'm getting very tempted to break into the receiver and investigate connecting an external antenna!
Doing this will ruin any waranty so consider it long and hard before trying to open it. One chap has already ruined his TMC device by slipping with a screwdriver. Once open you are confronted with a tiny surface mount PCB, if you aren't used to soldering on surface mount boards forget it - Mike
linxeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I've done a lot of electronic construction in the past, so the SMC board doesn't bother me too much. I guess it is worth holding out for a month with the free GPRS traffic trial to see what software updates appear. If that doesn't work then I'll definitely look at modifying the thing.

Has anyone else connected an external antenna? Does it improve performance?

I tried draping the aerial from a top floor window earlier, and managed to get a lock on Classic FM 100.4 - it spent a long time on Radio1 98.6 first though. It didn't find any traffic incidents on my route for today (Cheltenham to Durham). After disconnecting and using GPRS, I had an incident 43 miles away (lane closure). I thought they are supposed to be basically the same data?

Cheers!

James
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An external aerial (and I would recommend an aerial amplifier) would definitely help - I have had similar problems with the traffic receiver for my Nuvi 660 (GTM21).

Really what all these manufacturers should do is put a 2.5mm socket on their traffic receivers to allow use of the GNS aerial splitter, I wouldn't have thought that would be difficult.

There also must be a software issue as well though if it is locking onto stations that don't transmit Itis data (ie Classic FM).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
Really what all these manufacturers should do is put a 2.5mm socket on their traffic receivers to allow use of the GNS aerial splitter, I wouldn't have thought that would be difficult.
Fully agree, and something I mentioned quite a while back, the exact type of connector doesn't matter, but the fact it is available would make a big difference.

There are some of us that will add an aerial to the car, or connect the TMC device to the existing aerial to boost signal stregth, thus improving reception.

All we need is the easy connection point, sadly this has been missed off most devices (The Hirschmann GPS 9 18 V Flex is an amplified multi-purpose aerial, but a costly addition) sadly the lack of a suitable external connection within the TMC device makes life very difficult - Mike
PPlutt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm sorry to say that the RDS-TMC device is working (or lacks of function)with exactly same error in Sweden as well.
Lock on wrong freq. an so on.

After trying to tell this to TOMTOM swedish speaking support in 17 updates to support case I have gone back to GPRS.

Now I have opent the plastic chase on my reviver an looking for any possible mods to do but cant even identify the chips inside.
Have any body else have any info on mods and chip.
linxeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Bah! Humbug! (and it isn't even Christmas yet!) Reply with quote

Just got back from a 600 mile round trip to Newcastle, and the TomTom RDS-TMC picked up Classic FM just once and gave me traffic information. The rest of the time I had nothing, and it locked onto anything from 89 to about 103 MHz. Most of the time it seemed stuck on Radio2 or Radio1. Not good - so GPRS it is for the time being.

I wonder if it actually works if you sit practically under a Classic FM transmitter? If it doesn't then I guess TomTom have some serious work to do!
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my latest email from Tomtom about the continuing saga with the TMC Receiver:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

I have just received word from our 2nd line technical team that the 6.52 update was not the update that we were referring to. There will be an update released in the near future which will resolve the connectivity issues that you are experiencing. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.\

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Will see what this new update does when released.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was posted here 10 days agao, so technically they are late with the release - what a surprise!

Confused

Anyways, let me know if it improves 'cause I'm not buying until you guys say it's working properly.

Cheers,
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read carefully, it says 6.52 was NOT the release to fix the TMC issues.
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be it then!

Embarassed
tez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just to be clear

We are after the update to an update of a update with another update!

And still my tomtom 910 looks at radio 4 and when it does get classic it downloads nothing.

They might get it right by ver 20.900.000.

I can't wait until car connect hits the streets as I need this now that tomtom have turned the volume down on the current version.

Terry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: