Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic or TomTom RDS/TMC Receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic or TomTom RDS/TMC Receiver
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: TomTom Traffic or TomTom RDS/TMC Receiver Reply with quote

I have used TTT in the past on my PDA but am now considering a TT910 with the RDS\TMC Receiver unit. So i'm trying to guage the benefits of either. Confused

I understand the RDS.. is an single\one off subscription but the TTT is a monthly fee? So there's a cash issue.

The postings i've seen seem to suggest that TTT gets the info from the same source in the UK as the RDS unit. If so, do we get the same inaccuracies as I've already experienced with TTT?

Any advice appreciated, on these points or any related info you have. Thanks Smile
SatMap
pugwash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Traffic or TomTom RDS/TMC Receiver Reply with quote

I'm considering doing something similar to you. I already have a Go 910 though.

Fraserp wrote:
The postings i've seen seem to suggest that TTT gets the info from the same source in the UK as the RDS unit. If so, do we get the same inaccuracies as I've already experienced with TTT?

I believe this is true. Tomtom buy their traffic data direct from ITIS holdings, as do Capital Radio, who broadcast the stuff over the Classic FM frequency for RDS.

However...

The very fact I don't seem to be able to buy a Tomtom RDS-TMC receiver anywhere would rather suggest to me that the actual hardware is, well, vapourware for the moment. Does anyone actually have one?

Chris
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if the tmc receiver is availble at the moment

yes they do get the infomation form the same source but it is sent out in different ways with the gprs way of doing thing it has to got fro itis to tomtom to the mobile phone operator to the device if the mobile phone operator is cahching information then updates may appear not be happening the tmc over fm works in a different way so the same problems i could not see happening

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are presently investigating the issues I have raised.

According to them, there should be NO reason for such discrepancies, whether the info is arrived at by a TMC receiver or direct to a TT device via GPRS.

I'll update the relevant threads as and when I get a reply.
SatMap
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth bearing in mind that TMC isn't very good (or available at all) in some areas - the very reason I took my Garmin Nuvi 310D back, as here in Lincoln I couldn't pick anything up at all.
I changed it for a TT ONE V2 so I could use Traffic (not that I've ever managed to get THAT working with my phones either!)
I'd be interested to hear if anyone in/near Lincoln has TMC working
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ.

Having had the tomtom rds tmc receiver now for a week, I am very happy with it.

The information is acurate and has made a few considerable re-routes which have avoided major queues.

I lhave used the tmc rds receiver near Spalding and Peterborough and have got a lot of traffic reports.
So yes, it does work fine around the lincoln area.

Although the differences between using GPRS and the tmc receiver is that you only get regional traffic info ranging from 100-250 mile radius's. This does not pose much of a problem though, once you move out of the "radius" the tmc only takes about 10 seconds to switch and receive the new info from the new region.

Take a look at this post:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46890&highlight=910

Read all 6 pages and you'll learn something!!!!
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you 'beg to differ' with an experience I've had? Confused

Take my word for it, TMC does not work where I am in Lincoln. Granted it does work further afield, and in a lot of places it works brilliantly.
But that's no use to me where I live, in Scampton, which is why I took the Garmin back and now use TTT with a ONE V2. And I didn't just switch it on, see it didn't work, and took it back - I used it for 2 weeks all around here with limited success.
I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm saying the TMC signals in some areas are too weak to be effective (a point admitted by both Garmin and TomTom) - I get no signal at all here.
I'm happy for you that it works where you are, but it's of no use to me where I am and so it's pointless for me to have it isn't it?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixie68 wrote:
Take my word for it, TMC does not work where I am in Lincoln.
Please remember you were using the Trafficmaster RDS-TMC service, whereas lydiachris is using the iTIS Holdings RDS-TMC service, both of which use different radio stations, different radio masts, and hence will have a different reception profile across the country.

Out of interest, did you have the original 310D car charger, or did you have the improved (6025) car charger before you sent it back to Garmin (I've read too many people's reports on the Nuvi to be able to remember anyone in particular)...?
markeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom RDS TMC Reply with quote

Had mine a week and although it told me it was connected I travelled 1200 miles and did not get a single traffic report. I have now returned it for a replacement assuming it must be faulty. Reading the above I am not so sure.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Welcome to the forum - where abouts in the country did you cover this distance? also how have you deployed the unit in the car, the TMC cable needs to be fully unwound and not coiled up to be most effective, I have my 910 in the right corner of the windscreen with the TMC unit in the top left corner, this deploys the wire (aerial) to its full extent. When you get the replacement unit try a few different positions for the receiver in the car to evaluate reception.
One final point though, does your car have an Athermic heat reflective windscreen? these can attenuate RF signals by a considerable amount - Mike
markeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: TMC RDS Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks for the files. I will check this out when the new receiver arrives.
I am in Northampton, made a trip to Glasgow, then later in week down to the south coast. So passed most major conurbations on route.Yes I did site the receiver as indicated and at one stage stretched it out onto the passenger door window, thinking my heated windscreen my be affecting the signal.
I guess for now its watch this space
M
CombeMarshal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds very messy to me, Mobile phone in pocket, TomTom mounted on dash sounds much better to me!
Robparker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the TMC integrated into the Comand system of my Mercedes and it's next to useless. For some reason its accuracy changed about 9 months ago and whilst the 'voice' warns 'traffic disruption ahead' no warnings have been visible on the screen and thus you are already at the problem with no chance to re-route.

Whereas, in my Chrysler Grand Voyager I use a TomTom510 with a TT Traffic subscription which I find very reliable. The fact that it visibly shows delay times and adds those delays into your ETA is very useful and allows you to decide whether to ask TomTom for an alternative route.

So, for anyone thinking about one or the other, I'd go for a TT Traffic subscription every time.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both units use the same data source, and ironically, the change in the iTIS system you noticed was them adding in support for the delay time, which you like so much in your TomTom Smile

I suspect there should be an update for the Comand unit, although it may not be cheap, to fix this problem, but I'm no expert on the MB system.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had the opportunity to compare the TomTom Traffic and RDS-TMC receiver I'd have to say stick with the TomTom Traffic option.

The reception is very poor with the FM receiver. On a journey from Hampshire to North Wales the first time I managed to receive the signal was North of Birmingham and it dropped out frequently for long periods even then.

Until these reception issues are resolved I could not recommend it. When it was functioning however, the traffic issues reported where the same for both delivery methods.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: