Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

Finally, as you are evidently a retailer of TT TMC receivers and may have more 'inside knowledge' have you been assured by Tom Tom that the TMC receiver you are buying from them is designed for use in the UK and is identical in specification to the receiver that they intend releasing for the UK ?

The only thing we are likely to get is a Mk2 for the whole of Europe, but it's an educated guess, not an inside knowledge.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
RDS wrote:

Finally, as you are evidently a retailer of TT TMC receivers and may have more 'inside knowledge' have you been assured by Tom Tom that the TMC receiver you are buying from them is designed for use in the UK and is identical in specification to the receiver that they intend releasing for the UK ?

The only thing we are likely to get is a Mk2 for the whole of Europe, but it's an educated guess, not an inside knowledge.

I guess a Mk2 makes sense as upgrades or updated models generally follow but I've got to ask the question again

'Have you received assurances from Tom Tom that the TMC receiver you are buying from them is designed for use in the UK and is identical in specification to the receiver that they intend releasing for this country ?'
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
'Have you received assurances from Tom Tom that the TMC receiver you are buying from them is designed for use in the UK and is identical in specification to the receiver that they intend releasing for this country ?'

No, I have neither had these assurances, nor I have ever asked for them for any other product which is on t h e o f f i c i a l T o m T o m p r i c e l i s t f o r t h e U. K.

Could you in turn substantiate your claim that the RDS-TMC carrier has a lower ERP in the UK?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
RDS wrote:

No, I have neither had these assurances, nor I have ever asked for them for any other product which is on t h e o f f i c i a l T o m T o m p r i c e l i s t f o r t h e U. K.

Could you in turn substantiate your claim that the RDS-TMC carrier has a lower ERP in the UK?

You may have misinterpreted my point.

My question was posed merely to try and discover whether the Tom Tom TMC receiver currently being sold has been specifically acknowledged by Tom Tom as suitable for the UK and also whether it has the same specification as the receiver that will eventually officially be released for use in this country.

I'm certainly not making accusations or intending to imply anything untoward, however in the UK it is the retailer who has all the legal obligations to their customers not the manufacturer. As such I would assume the responsibility to ensure a product is 'fit for purpose' for use in this country lies totally with the retailer .

Finally, re-read my previous posts I have made absolutely no claims regarding the RDS-TMC carrier in the UK
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

Finally, re-read my previous posts I have made absolutely no claims regarding the RDS-TMC carrier in the UK

You've been arguing long and hard that FM radio in the UK is somehow different from the rest of Europe. How?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
RDS wrote:

You've been arguing long and hard that FM radio in the UK is somehow different from the rest of Europe. How?

If you're referring to my mention of Garmins TMC problems a look through the now lengthy thread regarding the Nuvi GTM12 TMC problems will show plenty of references to a difference in signal strengths affecting their particular unit.Also as I previously owned a Nuvi 310D which had TMC receiver issues I've had several conversations with Garmins technical dept in which they cited the difference in signal frequency and power between the continent and the UK as a reason for the problems.

Other than that as I've said I've made absolutely no claims regarding the RDS TMC signal strength which may affect the Tom Tom receiver.In fact I even asked the question
'is the way TMC information is broadcast here exactly the same as on the continent ie same strength, same number of radio stations etc ? '
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing here is that it does not work as it should. This could be for many reasons.

Maybe TT built a lemon.
Maybe the RDS is transmitted at lower power here in the UK.
Maybe TT know that if they make the receiver more sensitive it will just pick up more crap.
Maybe TT got it wrong trying to build one unit that could be sold all around the world thus saving building cost.
Maybe TT released the unit without sorting the bugs out of either the firmware or the software.
Maybe, maybe, maybe........

At the end of the day we all want a unit that will work. If we are lucky it can be sorted with either a firmware or software fix, we can live in hope.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen_EP wrote:

Quote:
Maybe TT built a lemon.
No maybe it is a lemon.

Quote:
Maybe the RDS is transmitted at lower power here in the UK.
Maybe but that is no excuse.

Quote:
Maybe TT know that if they make the receiver more sensitive it will just pick up more crap.
No it's already full of crap.

Quote:
Maybe TT got it wrong trying to build one unit that could be sold all around the world thus saving building cost.
They got it wrong alright.

Quote:
Maybe TT released the unit without sorting the bugs out of either the firmware or the software.
I think they released the unit without even trying it.

What a waste of money.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you may agree Laughing Out Loud
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but what is Tomtom going to do about it?
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so we go around again to my earlier point that the TT TMC receiver is currently being judged on it's performance in the UK without it apparently being officially released in this country by the manufacturer.

As yet no-one has been willing or able to answer the question as to whether the unit currently being sold by just a few online retailers has exactly the same spec as the unit that will eventually be sold in the UK.

Although I can understand their frustration surely until we know what the performance of the unit which will be generally sold within the UK is aren't those who have bought early just pre-judging the situation ? After all it maybe that TomTom will be offering an updated or uprated Mk2 receiver for the UK.

I'm not trying to act as an apologist for TomTom because if the TMC receiver which becomes generally available within the UK subsequently transpires to have a pretty poor performance I'll be more than happy to join others in criticising, however I prefer to wait to see what TomTom offer before wading in prematurely.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RDS"]And so we go around again to my earlier point that the TT TMC receiver is currently being judged on it's performance in the UK without it apparently being officially released in this country by the manufacturer.

So what about all the owners from overseas who jump in their cars to come and have a look at the UK?.
There they are with their new TomTom merrily sending them up farm tracks with a TMC that couldn't tell them it was blocked by a combined harvester because it couldn't lock onto classic FM,- Great!!.
Just for the record have TomTom said officially that this unit has NOT been released for the UK?.Could it be the big players are giving TomTom some heat over their past record, after all it is these guys who cop the initial flak, so refuse to sell it until proven?.
If these are grey imports then i can see your point however Elder has a good point that whatever the source they should work here.

Could it be all the electronic surveillance gear around that spies on us all the time, now if any signal can get through the magnetic field that load of crap kicks out then it must be worth getting Laughing
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent mine back to its source in Germany now where I hope it will serve someone well.

As I said earlier in this thread, the packaging had an EU badge on it and last time I looked the UK is a member state. There is nothing else to indicate country-specific support, no documentation is supplied with the device and TomTom themselves told me there is only one version of the receiver.

IF TomTom have some issue with this thing in the UK why don't they just say so? If I'd had a sensible response that explained the issue a bit and indicated that something was being done about it I'd have stuck with it.

Instead, their helpdesk continue to state that it should work simply by plugging it in - it clearly doesn't and that was what annoyed me most.

Anyway, GPRS support is better than ever.... :D

GO 510, MoWE & Sony Ericsson W300i
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
I have this receiver on our October price list from TomTom (9V00.006, RRP £69.99)

Now there's a clue. My receiver imported from Germany had a different part no., 4V00.000 I think. TomTom said that was the only variant when I asked.

As a supplier, Eldar, can't you get a definitive answer to this from TomTom??

GO 510, MoWE & Sony Ericsson W300i
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will TT fix it.

I can say that while awaiting the arrival of my 710 I did start to panic as I kept reading all the problems 910 owners where having. Then the problems people were having when they upgraded to 6.11 and all the faults with the mounts so on and so on. When it arrived it had 6.11 on along with the new mount (TT still sent me a new one foc) the unit has never shown any of the faults I have read about and the mount has been fine. So it looks like the first lot of the line had the odd problem.
Maybe the same goes for the TMC lets hope that by the time it is released in the UK it will be a fully functional unit after all my 710 is.

One last thing, if and I say if TT do release a mkII for UK use will those who purchased units not meant for the UK have any claim against TT?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: