Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps 2006 - Some bug workarounds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps 2006 - Some bug workarounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manoman48 wrote:
I could include sample pics if that helps explain it better?

No, you've explained it perfectly. I have a couple of suggestions : 1) try the route in reverse. The kink could be because VM thinks that short section of Bawtry Road is one-way. 2) You can also check that by displaying the traffic direction indicators.
manoman48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent the problem to ViaMichelin who have tried the same route on Maps 2006 and say they can't replciate the fault. I have sent them pictures to prove the problem.
manoman48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
manoman48 wrote:
I could include sample pics if that helps explain it better?

No, you've explained it perfectly. I have a couple of suggestions : 1) try the route in reverse. The kink could be because VM thinks that short section of Bawtry Road is one-way. 2) You can also check that by displaying the traffic direction indicators.

The pics I have sent VM are here:

martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kills my theory that VM may have thought Bawtry Road was one way for that short section !
manoman48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
That kills my theory that VM may have thought Bawtry Road was one way for that short section !

Weird isn't it. It's not just that road either. And not just my area. It happens all over the place.
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the same algorithm that insists it is quicker to go round the roundabout at Hyde Park Corner rather then use the underpass when travelling from Knightsbridge to Piccadilly!

More seriously it may be that they (vM or TeleAtlas) have set the speed on the roads wrong so that it assumes it is quicker when clearly it is not. In v2.5 and v3 it was possible to look at the details of the road (ie what type of road and hence speed setting used for calculation) from within the PC application. Might be worth a look.
manoman48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elan2s wrote:
Perhaps the same algorithm that insists it is quicker to go round the roundabout at Hyde Park Corner rather then use the underpass when travelling from Knightsbridge to Piccadilly!

More seriously it may be that they (vM or TeleAtlas) have set the speed on the roads wrong so that it assumes it is quicker when clearly it is not. In v2.5 and v3 it was possible to look at the details of the road (ie what type of road and hence speed setting used for calculation) from within the PC application. Might be worth a look.

I have had a look using mapstore and to stay with this example, Bawtry Road is classed as an A road, and Cross Street & Main Street are classed as a B road. Bawtry Road is a thick yellow road, and Cross Street & Main Street are just the normal thin white road.

Probably more interesting is if I do the route calculation in Mapstore, the kink does not happen.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manoman48 wrote:
Probably more interesting is if I do the route calculation in Mapstore, the kink does not happen.

That means it's not the data that's at fault because they must use the same maps - so no wrong coding of one-way systems, speed limits, road type, and so on.

It does, however, show a difference in the way the PC application works and the way the PDF application works.

To say it "shows a difference" is being kind, it really means that the bug in the PDA doesn't exist on the PC, which is strange. I can understand that all the display characteristics have to be different and they work under a different systems architecture, but don't they use the same route calculation algorithms ?
manoman48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
manoman48 wrote:

That means it's not the data that's at fault because they must use the same maps - so no wrong coding of one-way systems, speed limits, road type, and so on.

It does, however, show a difference in the way the PC application works and the way the PDF application works.

To say it "shows a difference" is being kind, it really means that the bug in the PDA doesn't exist on the PC, which is strange. I can understand that all the display characteristics have to be different and they work under a different systems architecture, but don't they use the same route calculation algorithms ?

Exactly what I thought. The algorithm must have changed for Maps 2006 because it has not done this in version 3 or 4.
djraison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Install issue Reply with quote

8) Thanks for the writeup - I was on the verge of throwing the whole lot through the monitor when I found your solution. It worked perfectly. Thanks again.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in the right thread, djraison ?
djraison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
Are you in the right thread, djraison ?

Yup - read the *first* post by manoman48.
Pity the thread got hijacked in the middle though...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: